Travis

That stone...
paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 4:02 PM Quote
What did you call it again? I remember it being on tv when they were 'taking it home'... Stone of Scoon or something. What was that again???

Re: That stone...
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 4:03 PM Quote
Huh?

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 4:04 PM Quote
Aye, exactly. This one's kinda directed towards the Scottish boardies- or anyone who knows anything about Scottish history..

dee
dee Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 4:17 PM Quote
it's the stone of scone, "an lia fáil"

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 8:10 PM Quote
It's also known as the Coronation Stone.

Andrew
Andrew Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 8:31 PM Quote
Stone of Destiny

"On Christmas Day 1950, a group of four Scottish students (Ian Hamilton, Gavin Vernon, Kay Matheson and Alan Stuart) took the Stone from Westminster Abbey for return to Scotland. In the process of removing it from the Abbey, they broke it into two pieces. After hiding the greater part of the stone in Kent for a few weeks, they risked the road blocks on the border and returned to Scotland with this piece, which they had hidden in the back of a borrowed car, along with a new accomplice Johnny Josselyn. The smaller piece was similarly brought north a little while later. This journey involved a break in Leeds, where a group of sympathetic students and graduates took the fragment to Ilkley Moor for an overnight stay, accompanied by renditions of "On Ilkley Moor baht 'tat". The Stone was then passed to a senior Glasgow politician who arranged for it to be professionally repaired by Glasgow stonemason Robert Gray. A major search for the stone had been ordered by the British Government, but this proved unsuccessful. Perhaps assuming that the Church would not return it to England, the stone's custodians left it on the altar of Arbroath Abbey, on 11 April 1951, in the safekeeping of the Church of Scotland. Once the London police were informed of its whereabouts, the Stone was returned to Westminster. Afterwards, rumours circulated that copies had been made of the Stone, and that the returned Stone was not in fact the original."

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 1:25 AM Quote
Paul, did you get things sorted out with your friend?

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 1:26 AM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:

hey you !

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 1:30 AM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
weirdmominaustin wrote:

hey you !

hey pretty lady, how's things?

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 1:31 AM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
weirdmominaustin wrote:

hey you !

hey pretty lady, how's things?

i cannot sleep

how are you ?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 1:35 AM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
i cannot sleep

how are you ?

Oh too bad. Do you want me to make a really boring post to try and lull you to sleep?

I am fine. Just about to read to the kiddos and then either go grocery shopping or convince hubby to do it.

That was pretty boring. Still awake?

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 1:37 AM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
i cannot sleep

how are you ?

Oh too bad. Do you want me to make a really boring post to try and lull you to sleep?

I am fine. Just about to read to the kiddos and then either go grocery shopping or convince hubby to do it.

That was pretty boring. Still awake?

still awake but off in a minute
good luck with grocery shopping

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:14 AM Quote
Cheers for the heads up Andy, interesting stuff. I looked on wikipedia as well, and according to there it was in 1996 that the stone was returned- which made me feel a little bit older, cos it seemed like only a few years ago!

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:21 AM Quote
Andrew wrote:
Stone of Destiny

"On Christmas Day 1950, a group of four Scottish students (Ian Hamilton, Gavin Vernon, Kay Matheson and Alan Stuart) took the Stone from Westminster Abbey for return to Scotland. In the process of removing it from the Abbey, they broke it into two pieces. After hiding the greater part of the stone in Kent for a few weeks, they risked the road blocks on the border and returned to Scotland with this piece, which they had hidden in the back of a borrowed car, along with a new accomplice Johnny Josselyn. The smaller piece was similarly brought north a little while later. This journey involved a break in Leeds, where a group of sympathetic students and graduates took the fragment to Ilkley Moor for an overnight stay, accompanied by renditions of "On Ilkley Moor baht 'tat". The Stone was then passed to a senior Glasgow politician who arranged for it to be professionally repaired by Glasgow stonemason Robert Gray. A major search for the stone had been ordered by the British Government, but this proved unsuccessful. Perhaps assuming that the Church would not return it to England, the stone's custodians left it on the altar of Arbroath Abbey, on 11 April 1951, in the safekeeping of the Church of Scotland. Once the London police were informed of its whereabouts, the Stone was returned to Westminster. Afterwards, rumours circulated that copies had been made of the Stone, and that the returned Stone was not in fact the original."

Church of Scotland - what traitors!!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 2:16 AM