Travis

Re: No Travis in France!
Lucile
Lucile Posted Wed 10 Oct, 2007 6:33 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
They did the Live8 gigs in 2005 I remember but that was funny to attend.

I meant mainland Europe - They did a few shows in the UK in 2005.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Thu 11 Oct, 2007 8:13 AM Quote
Sorry but it still doesn't make sence compared to other mainland european countries (6 dates in spain, not counting anymore the german dates...).
Looking at their tour history it's not like they ever did a "proper" tour in France, not more than 2/3 dates a year in France for a VERY good french Travis tour and usually one date in Paris only on a normal french Travis tour...and they never came in the south (Toulouse once and it's le Midi as we say, not le south).

Frenchygirl
Frenchygirl Posted Thu 11 Oct, 2007 5:09 PM Quote
Now, all we have to do is wait..and wait..and wait..

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 12 Oct, 2007 8:11 AM Quote
maybe patience will work...but for how many more years?
What Fran said to Lucile in Madrid seems pretty definite...and I don't want to stand on wasted hopes.
It's just weird that France seems to never get that much attention to any of their tour and even more this one.

How many french boardies on here again?
Absy
S Angel
Lucile
Ayana
Isma
Frenchy girl
Elodie

It's not like nobody cares about Travis in France...
Oh I wish I saw them in Belfort back then!

Lucile
Lucile Posted Fri 12 Oct, 2007 8:56 AM Quote
Ok, to clear things up, Fran told me he honestly had no idea why they weren't playing in France. He said he asked to play here again but he was told they had already played in Paris. He also said that the band doesn't have a say and that they play where they're told to (Fran, if you're reading this, feel free to correct me if I'm twisting your words).

Before the tour started, I contacted venues and gig organisers to ask if they were planning on booking the band for a show. All the answers I received were negative. So if there's no demand for shows - be it from concert organisers, venues, or from fans pressuring organisers, I can understand that they're not playing over here again. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides and I'm not saying that they shouldn't play here again, I'm just trying to understand the management's point of view in an objective manner.

As for the Belfort festival, I was there. The band was great as always but the crowd was more than average (mostly Muse and Rammstein fans)and it felt like they were giving a lot and not getting much back. So it definitely wasn't the best gig I've been to.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:04 AM Quote
Lucile wrote:
Ok, to clear things up, Fran told me he honestly had no idea why they weren't playing in France. He said he asked to play here again but he was told they had already played in Paris. He also said that the band doesn't have a say and that they play where they're told to (Fran, if you're reading this, feel free to correct me if I'm twisting your words).

Before the tour started, I contacted venues and gig organisers to ask if they were planning on booking the band for a show. All the answers I received were negative. So if there's no demand for shows - be it from concert organisers, venues, or from fans pressuring organisers, I can understand that they're not playing over here again. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides and I'm not saying that they shouldn't play here again, I'm just trying to understand the management's point of view in an objective manner.

As for the Belfort festival, I was there. The band was great as always but the crowd was more than average (mostly Muse and Rammstein fans)and it felt like they were giving a lot and not getting much back. So it definitely wasn't the best gig I've been to.

Thanks Lucile for clarifying and I did undestand it well in your initial post which was clear.

Scheduling a band is not only based on demands from venues, organisers or fans although of course you're right it matters a lot. It is also based on the marketing strategy from the band's management be it the management itself or the label. Muscic, artists, performers are "art" as much as "business" and as well as fantastic to our ears and life they're also a product to be developped on chosen territories full of potential. As much as the decision of them not touring in France can be based on low demand I also wonder if it's not based on marketing strategy targeted to other territories than France. I also wonder why they don't seem to ever do a tour or more than a couple of gigs in France compared to other countries...of course if their figures are low here (album and single sales)it makes sense but in the meantime there is no publicity/marketing at all in France it seems.

Belfort was funny/quite for Coldplay as well (i saw the film of their concert there), it's amusing to see Chris Martin trying to badly explain in french what the songs mean and the crowd not aware and not realising "who" there seeing...funny retrospectively.

All I mean is how can it be considered enough one and only one date in France...1-2 months only after the release of the album. Divine Comedy is in France regularly...and knows Clermont Ferrand and Marseille...

Lucile
Lucile Posted Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:55 AM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
Scheduling a band is not only based on demands from venues, organisers or fans although of course you're right it matters a lot. It is also based on the marketing strategy from the band's management be it the management itself or the label. Muscic, artists, performers are "art" as much as "business" and as well as fantastic to our ears and life they're also a product to be developped on chosen territories full of potential. As much as the decision of them not touring in France can be based on low demand I also wonder if it's not based on marketing strategy targeted to other territories than France. I also wonder why they don't seem to ever do a tour or more than a couple of gigs in France compared to other countries...of course if their figures are low here (album and single sales)it makes sense but in the meantime there is no publicity/marketing at all in France it seems.

I agree with you on that and in my opinion, the French don't get Travis. They started liking them thanks to the RTL commercial that used "Sing" back in 2001 - and the following year they had a "real" French tour planned (Paris in February, Lille in June, Belfort and Carhaix in the summer - but Carhaix had to be cancelled because of Neil's accident). Then the enthusiasm kind of faded because the RTL commercial wasn't shown as much on TV, the following singles didn't get as much airplay....

Besides the fact that, as you pointed out, the marketing strategy is non existing over here, I believe that in general the French have taste in music in which Travis doesn't fit (that combined to the fact that they are not even given the opportunity to like them due to poor airplay on the main radio stations). If you listen to said main radio stations (which I've now stopped doing because I don't like any of the music that is played), you realise that there's not much room for bands like Travis. And the fact that the management seems to focus on other countries with more potential, as you put it, may stem from that directly. Maybe they have noticed that most French people have different tastes in music than in other European countries and they deliberately chose to focus their efforts elsewhere as they were aware of the lack of potential in France. However, I believe that there are a variety of causes, all closely interwoven, that need to be taken into account. It's like a vicious circle : Travis don't get the airplay they deserve because someone thinks that there's little potential for the band in France, as a result people don't get to hear the new material and don't even know that the band have a new album out which leads to a very low demand for shows and further confirms what was initially believed : there is low potential for Travis in France.

I personally try to spread the music as much as I can around me (family, friends, even students!) and they usually enjoy the music a lot but most of them had never heard about them before. It's only when you mention the RTL commercial that they vaguely recall hearing "Sing" back in 2001. Maybe we should all team up and badger RTL into using a song off The Boy With No Name in another commercial!

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 12 Oct, 2007 2:38 PM Quote
I agree with most of what you say but what I also think and would add is :

- French public love performers and have a real appetite for artists developping their relationship with the public through gigs only (M started like that for example). Travis beeing one of if not THE BEST live band in the world, I am sure their public would developp with more gigs here.

- Is Neil's accident so badly engraved in the mind/history (fair enough!!) of the band that their management don't really fancy scheduling Travis in France much? Or is France their bad luck country?

Maybe the french don't get Travis as you say...but they seem to get it when they hear it...
or bollocks to that, I'll take the plane to the UK for their next gig when I can!! Hope the pregnancy will allow it!

deebee
deebee Posted Fri 12 Oct, 2007 5:44 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
What Fran said to Lucile in Madrid seems pretty definite...and I don't want to stand on wasted hopes.
It's just weird that France seems to never get that much attention to any of their tour and even more this one.

Absy
S Angel
Lucile
Ayana
Isma
Frenchy girl
Elodie

Oooh Can you add me to your list? I'm a false Frenchie though ;-)

lilala
lilala Posted Sat 13 Oct, 2007 5:57 AM Quote
sorry angel wrote:

Absy
S Angel
Lucile
Ayana
Isma
Frenchy girl
Elodie

I'm french too and I'd like to see them again! :-)

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sat 13 Oct, 2007 8:55 AM Quote
lilala wrote:

Absy
S Angel
Lucile
Ayana
Isma
Frenchy girl
Elodie
Deebee
Lilala

Added you les amis! Et si on commencait "enfin" à s'unir...

Frenchygirl
Frenchygirl Posted Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:01 AM Quote
there is frenchie88 too!

flc
flc Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 7:29 PM Quote
I want to see TRAVIS AT PARIS!!!!!!!!!!

well, now i fell good. Sorry for that... but i want so much go to their concert. Unfortunately i miss their performance on 7 jun 2007.

Aude
Aude Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 8:11 PM Quote

haha, let's present a petition!!! They must not forget us this time!!!

I must admit Travis is not that well known around here but it may simply be the consequence.

sakuras
sakuras Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 8:32 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
lilala wrote:

Absy
S Angel
Lucile
Ayana
Isma
Frenchy girl
Elodie
Deebee
Lilala

Added you les amis! Et si on commencait "enfin" à s'unir...

Please can you add me too!

I think the problem is with radios like you say except RTL french radios don't play Travis music and even Europe2 now Virgin Radio which called themselves "the pop-rock radio" they only play "Sing"! <3 Like if it was the only song of Travis and even if I wrote them that there was a new album! Nothing!! they just ignore Travis fans!

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:59 PM