Travis

Re: Not In The top-40 again
kurai
kurai Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 5:19 PM Quote
hello Kurai!!
yes you're right, here in Spain is the same, singles are not very usual, I only can buy the cds and that's all. I'd love to have all Travis singles with the b-sides but well, it has nothing to do ^^;

I totally agree with you there:

WE NEED MORE TRAVIS IN OUR LIFE! [/quote]

It would be so great, if there was a cd with all the b-sides and the records of their live appearances. Because many people are of the opinion that Travis are a great live band (and I totally agree there too - I´ve never ever been to a better concert in my life) and I think it would be fantastic, if these moments are available for everybody.
I´m happy, that there is something like "youtube", so that I can be somehow a part of these special moments.
And it´s great that Fran is supporting the audience to take their private videos. I still don´t understand why it´s so strictly forbidden to take pictures or short movies with your camera - it does no harm to the marketing industry, because the quality is often not very good anyway.

Isa_travis
Isa_travis Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 9:21 PM Quote
Yes you're right, last saturday's gig, control guards were very upset about taking photos. They were like : no flash! no flash!! waaaa it was so frustrating!
youtube is a great invent not only for Travis but for things that in your country aren't famous and you're nterested in.

SelfishRalph
SelfishRalph Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 2:19 PM Quote
Longtime reader, first time gardner

The thing is Sara Anna, something needed to be said to you, and it seems it still does (thanks Somewhere Else). Anyone who has been visiting this board for a while and has a little bit of nous, would know that you have this weird thing about Travis, and especially towards Fran. Sunny seems to have the same disorder. A sort of jilted and twisted obsessive fan thing. Sara, you direct all manner of insults towards Fran, sometimes with the aid of innuendo, sometimes directly, you've said the new album is rubbish about 1000 times (freedom of speech and honest opinion are great, but repetition of the same speech 1000 times isn't so good...especially when it's off the mark has a questionable motive), and come up with anything else negative about Fran or Travis you can think of to conspire about (problems in the band, dark corporate conspiracies, Fran doesn't really care about Darfur (like you do), Fran doesn't really care about Travis fans, Fran is a narcissist, a fake, his child’s name is stupid etc), yet you wait outside for Fran and the band after gigs? A bit creepy and passive aggressive? A bit Mark Chapman? I think it says a lot about Fran that he even spoke to you, and didn't run for his tour bus and hide under his bed.

As for it being better for Fran to maybe not say anything Sunny, although I admire him for saying something to her, what do you think he no doubt does every time he logs on here and read posts like Sara's? It's a wonder (and something a bit special) that he participates here at all, let alone acknowledges such people. It's funny, as it's probably people like Sara and yourself who would moan if Fran didn't post here for a while, and yet it's people like you that make it almost impossible for him to. Take Sara's last post. It would be impossible for him to reply to as it would mean descending to her level and getting into a "this is what actually happened" thing with her. It would be like stepping into a quagmire, with no hope of extricating any reason from the glug, while also providing Sara with enough oxygen that she could continue to swim in it and throw it around.

Ursina and Sorry Angel, the way you're blindly attacking Somewhere Else, I think you do seem a bit like a little gang. Hopefully Sara and Sunny's disorder isn't contagious.

To finish on a positive note, I think the new album is brilliant. I love My eyes too, and think it's a very strong single. If it doesn't do well on the charts, I don't see that it matters though, as I think it will still get out there and have a long life though lots of movies and tv programs and things like that picking it up. As a song, I think has really long legs.

cartoonmatrix
cartoonmatrix Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:28 PM Quote
I believe I have to concur with Monkey's chillpill prescription.
Let's have a reality check here for everyone:
-We are, as a majority, fans of Travis. Fans. Not close friends who hang out with Fran on the weekends, babysit his son Clay(which I have a cousin with that name and it is pretty common in the U.S. South, you sayin' we stupid? Deems fightin' wurds :P Seriously though, it is a common name) and etc.
-We love their music first, or should anyway. I like Oasis's music but hate their attitude. Having Travis be so nice is bonus that is rare and should be appreciated. Remember they are human. Fran is human. So are the rest. if we played nicer perhaps we could get the rest of them to join in.
-This is a board on the internet. It cannot convey the many physical signs we give when communicating. There will be misunderstandings.
-An internet forum generally does bring out the worst in some people. Some people call it "debate" when it is really just flaming other people to get a rise and to feel important. If you need something to make you feel important, don't buy Travis albums and post here. It is false importance. Go out and start a community project. Go give money to your favorite charity. In fact, soon as anyone feels the need to overstate their opinion or flame someone, please go and donate money to a charity online. It will make you feel better. It will work like a swear jar in a sense.

On to the actual topic at hand. I think all radio is rubbish and most people in my generation in the U.S. have rejected it.
As to the album, it is great and I still enjoy it. I enjoy their music. pure and simple. I don't care if anyone else does or just likes part of it. I am not going to debate this album like it is The White Album or something. It isn't it isn't meant to be. I think expectation is what kills it for some.
Travis isn't for everyone and I say whatever level of success they want is fine with me. Smaller the venue the better in my book :)

Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 12:43 AM Quote
This thread needs to burn.

Why Does It Always Payne On Me
Why Does It Always Payne On Me Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 2:52 AM Quote
O_____O

Wwwwwwooooowwwwww. That was-- wow. There's a lot of anger and-- and things I don't understand fully, but... I guess there's some history there. Oh, well, let's, uh, leave it be, play nice, all that. We (mostly) have Travis love in common, yes? Yes.

I mean-- I have got an opinion, but a) I've not got the full story and b) I'm not keen on having my (web)throat ripped out and flung back at me. Yikes.

So, album! Stuff. Huh. I personally really like My Eyes; it's rare that a song comes along which is a perfect Rainy Day Song AND a perfect Sunny Day Song.

And I like 12 Memories. A LOT. I seem to be in the minority (but when am I not? HAR. [insert race joke here]), but I didn't find it dark, or overly-political, or any of that. I mean, I can apply "The Beautiful Occupation" to anything. It's a "Don't-leave-your-essay-until-the-last-minute!" song. And "Quicksand," it's, uh...

Well.

That sound Andy makes with the guitar gives me shivers down my spine (in a good way).

So... rock rock on, boys-- men-- Travis.

--J.

Pages Previous 1...4 5 6 7 [8] All Times BST Current Time 5:30 AM