Travis

Re: Not In The top-40 again
Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 10:35 PM Quote
Well, my question of "who?" has certainly been answered!!!

I was off the forum for about a year, and had no idea that this stuff had kicked off.

Interesting thread this has turned out to be....

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 12:29 AM Quote
I'm all about freedom of speech, and while I agree with you on several points, I think you're being WAY too harsh towards the band and especially towards the latest album.

Honestly, radio is so far gone (at least in the US) that I really don't even care what's played anymore. There's one new station in Windsor that I can pick up from Detroit that plays Travis...besides that, I've pretty much given up on it. They just play so much CRAP here, and as much as I would LOVE to hear more Travis and would hope that their label would do something to improve their chart positions, I think it's kind of out of the band's hands. You can say: "well, they can make better music," but let's face it, Travis' music is ALREADY better than 95% of the music on the radio! I never understood why they're not popular on the radio in the US and never will. Because the music...every single song...is AMAZING. At least it is to me.

As for your comments about "My Eyes" being "a nice little song but it's not single material." I totally disagree. I think it's probably the strongest song on the album and most single-worthy...along with Selfish Jean. The music is different and interesting (have another listen to the intro)...the words are heartwarming, and it really captures the Travis sound and has a beautiful message. I just don't get it! I feel that some of you guys are impossible to please! You say that Travis should unleash something totally different for album 6 in the same way that The Man Who was different to Good Feeling, but when they did that with 12 Memories everyone gave them crap for it. I absolutely LOVE TBWNN. So maybe it doesn't flow like The Man Who, but its got a ton of great tracks, besides "Under The Moonlight" for example, which is one I feel is just an OK song in my book. But besides that, I think it's a really solid album and one of my favorites to listen to...including the hidden tracks, which I think are totally album-worthy! And it was also such a treat to hear the new stuff live! They are for sure the best live band hands down and I think we can ALL pretty much agree on that one! ;)

And by the way, somebody mentioned "Chasing Cars" ... I can't stand that song and it actually has kind of turned me off of Snow Patrol because I've heard it so much on the radio! So you see, being played on the radio isn't always the most important thing...it's writing songs for the fans that have a powerful message or evoke some sort of lasting emotion...and I think Fran and the lads do that better than any band out there.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 12:06 PM Quote
I also disagree about My Eyes not being single material - I think if My Eyes wasn't going to do well from this album, nothing was. The music is as good as ever, the magic is still there. Selfish Jean for me ticked every box as the memorable, distinctive hit single - after Closer went top ten I really expected something better from SJ but the problem was obvious from day one - after the 'Travis are back, look Ben Stiller's in their video!!' hype of Closer wore off, there was absolutely nothing. And the people responsible for the marketing didn't seem to seek anything out, they just put out the music and hoped it would speak for itself. But the charts these days are so influenced by what's fashionable and hyped, and the rtadio play was so limited it never stood a chance. After than My Eyes was always doomed to commercial failure whatever the quality of the song. Granted, TBWNN isn't The Man Who - it doesn't have anything to match the commercial goldmine punch of Turn, WDIAROM, Driftwood, Writing To Reach You. But neither did The Invisible Band and that was probably their best commercial singles era.

As a music fan it depresses me a bit. The parallel between the new releases of Travis and Ash, two of my fave bands of all time, is amazing. First single - not the fans choice, still does well, hopes raised. Second single - one of the best songs on the album, scrapes in around #30. Third singly - splat.

The other parallel being that both albums are superb. But who cares about that? :(

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 12:23 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Sara Anna wrote:
"Being a fan is about the music and giving honest feed back so here are my thoughts whether people agree or not. "

Its just your 'honest' feedback is always negative towards the Band. Even being in this post, you couldn't resist could you?

I think youv'e made yourself clear ,just too many times , yawn , most of all to Fran and lets be honest , You'd have to be fuckin reincarnated to be in his good books again, and that is an honest fact that you already know.

But carry on , no ones stopping you .

good grief! what's got to you !???? !! got a bad hair day or what ?

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 1:04 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
You say that Travis should unleash something totally different for album 6 in the same way that The Man Who was different to Good Feeling, but when they did that with 12 Memories everyone gave them crap for it.

Yeah you're right, 12 Memories was a change but commercially did the band no good at all. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/5-Confused.gif But even so, I think it's important to keep things fresh. I do love TBWNN, and I think it's better than 12 Memories. But the latter had a lot of character about it, and I know that its popular amongst many boardies. I liked the dark mood, I just don't reckon they nailed the songs quite as well as previous albums. I think the focus on the subject matter might have sacrificed the music itself in some cases. But hey, I'm a fan of all Travis stuff. I'm just trying to analyse where things went right and wrong on a commercial level. But one or two slightly naff chart positions every now and then wont stop this band from churning out material till kingdom come...or lets hope not!

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 2:20 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:

good grief! what's got to you !???? !! got a bad hair day or what ?

More like a bad hair year.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 3:00 PM Quote
http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ITS/ITS223/itf139020.jpg

this has well and truly been opened! :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 6:06 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I'm all about freedom of speech, and while I agree with you on several points, I think you're being WAY too harsh towards the band and especially towards the latest album.

Honestly, radio is so far gone (at least in the US) that I really don't even care what's played anymore. There's one new station in Windsor that I can pick up from Detroit that plays Travis...besides that, I've pretty much given up on it. They just play so much CRAP here, and as much as I would LOVE to hear more Travis and would hope that their label would do something to improve their chart positions, I think it's kind of out of the band's hands. You can say: "well, they can make better music," but let's face it, Travis' music is ALREADY better than 95% of the music on the radio! I never understood why they're not popular on the radio in the US and never will. Because the music...every single song...is AMAZING. At least it is to me.

I so agree with you on that point! I don't listen to the radio... haven't for like 3 or 4 years already.
And I also agree on that comment about Chasing Cars (nice song, but so repetitive).

And finally, I agree with everyone here that has stated that Selfish Jean was the best single material in TBWNN.

Trevis
Trevis Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 6:37 PM Quote
Who cares all these issues. The only problem is that new generations are losing the chance to know a great band.

Btw: Travis are not on the radios cause they aren't gaudy enough.

jambut
jambut Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 9:07 PM Quote
Point of interest: on the bus to college today i must of heard atleast five people play MY Eyes on their way too loud MP3 players/I-pods. Problem I think is people "my age aka 16" aren't buying singles or downloads i do admit to sending "my eyes" via msn to encourage ppl to buy the album most did but yaknow.

Taralyn
Taralyn Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 9:29 PM Quote
Good to see some possitive posts abot TBWNN i am with you NIKKI a certain persons so called honest freedom of speech was way to harsh on the band, Simon Cowell she may think she is but at least he knows what he is talking about!!!!!!!!!!

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 9:35 PM Quote
Taralyn wrote:
Good to see some possitive posts abot TBWNN i am with you NIKKI a certain persons so called honest freedom of speech was way to harsh on the band, Simon Cowell she may think she is but at least he knows what he is talking about!!!!!!!!!!

Simon Cowell's trousers have been restricting the flow of blood to his brain for far too long.

Taralyn
Taralyn Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 9:50 PM Quote
At least he can blame his trousers

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 9:55 PM Quote
Taralyn wrote:
At least he can blame his trousers

Yeaaaah, well ... I'd say more but i'll only get myself in trouble ...

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 11:47 PM Quote
I wanted to ask you guys something. Probably off topic, but well.
Which two hidden tracks does your copy of TBWNN have? My copy only has one...

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:23 PM