Travis

Re: Rant - Crazy Phrases
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 5:05 PM Quote
la femme qui wrote:

On the topic of annoying phrases, "No offence, but.." is on the top of my list. Currently.

That one cracks me up because 99% of the time they go on to say something offensive. Just say it if you're gonna say it!

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 5:17 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
For which you should both be shot. :)

Boooooooooooooooooooo. =P

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 5:25 PM Quote
I like innit.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 5:28 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
I like innit.

i do too , it's bad ass

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 5:56 PM Quote
Izzit. Innit. Woo-ha!

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 6:49 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:

As a linguist I can explain the "I, myself" phrase. We call it the utterer-centered approach. In all languages there is a need for speakers to be the focus of attention, hence the repetition of personal pronouns. The utterer speaks mostly about himself / herself and his / her emotions. This stems from a desire to become the centre of attention and explains why "She herself" is never used - why would a speaker focus on someone else than themselves?

Someone mentioned that it exists in French as well with "Moi, je..." Sometimes, we also say "Moi, je..." and end the sentence with another "Moi" just in case it wasn't quite clear enough that we are speaking about ourselves as in "Moi, j'aime pas ça, moi". This is only used in spoken French though. I know some of you find it irritating and incorrect but fom a linguist's point of view, the use of such phrases is so widespread (this also an unconscious process) that it cannot be considered as incorrect and has to be studied as part of the language. I only know French and English (and a bit of German) but I'm pretty sure that the same phenomenon is to be found in other languages.

I realise I've just had a very geeky moment here, but I don't care! hehe. I never thought I'd write a post about linguistics on this board though!!

Excellent, I was hoping a linguist would come along and make things clear! Thank you, I feel a teensy bit smarter now :)
"She herself" is never used in Standard English, but it is very common in Indian English, like "She herself did it." Sounds funny, but that's IE. And in Indian languages(Indo-Aryan to be precise, I speak only two but I'm generalising), this utterer-centered approach through repetition of personal pronouns doesn't exist, though emphasis can be laid on the subject through a particle.

Just curious, how would you say something like "I myself..." in German?

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 7:04 PM Quote
Thanks Lucile.

I suppose to me it sounds as wrong as a double negative, plus I'd never write "I myself ..." so why would I say it aloud?

Lucile
Lucile Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 7:18 PM Quote
la femme qui wrote:
Excellent, I was hoping a linguist would come along and make things clear! Thank you, I feel a teensy bit smarter now :)
"She herself" is never used in Standard English, but it is very common in Indian English, like "She herself did it." Sounds funny, but that's IE. And in Indian languages(Indo-Aryan to be precise, I speak only two but I'm generalising), this utterer-centered approach through repetition of personal pronouns doesn't exist, though emphasis can be laid on the subject through a particle.

Just curious, how would you say something like "I myself..." in German?

That's really interesting, thanks. It shows that the utterer-centered approach is common in other languages as well even if it involves particles instead of pronouns. It still results in drawing everyone's attention to the speaker.

As for the Indian English "She herself did it"... Wouldn't there be a slight difference in meaning? I mean, the surface structure of the sentence is the same as "I myself" but the deep structure may be different. "I myself" would then be a way to draw attention to the speaker whereas "She herself" would imply emphasis and only insist on the fact that it was her who did it and not anyone else.

Are there any German people around who could tell us if there's an equivalent of "I myself"? I forgot most of the German I learnt so I'm afraid I can't help with that...

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 7:26 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Thanks Lucile.

I suppose to me it sounds as wrong as a double negative, plus I'd never write "I myself ..." so why would I say it aloud?

more like an apositive , something like

I , myself , don't like these crazy phrases

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 7:33 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

See, that's what I'm getting at. Why add "myself" to "I" as I'm obviously talking about me when I say "I"!

Stupid English language.

Lucile
Lucile Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 7:36 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Thanks Lucile.

Well, there's a big difference between written and spoken language. The latter being way more prone to be colloquial. Plus, it's because a language is spoken that new speech creations can arise and spread in use because of the combined effects of what we call the Maxim of Renewal (desire to renew the language to draw attention), the Maxim of Clarity (speak in such a way that you are understood), the Maxim of Economy (use the minimum of linguistic material) and the Maxim of Extravagance which also betrays a desire to be the centre of attention. It is only when the changes have occurred in the spoken language and that they have been accepted by the majority after being used at a high frequency that these changes can be validated in the written language. Not so long ago, it was unthinkable to use contractions such as 'isn't', 'aren't', or "wouldn't", etc., in the written language but it has now become a very common thing to do even if it still sounds more colloquial than the non contracted form.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 7:57 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

See, that's what I'm getting at. Why add "myself" to "I" as I'm obviously talking about me when I say "I"!

Stupid English language.

makes for good drama

In Los Angelese , it would be ,

yo , myself , no me gusta these crazy ingles phrases

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 8:00 PM Quote
Returning to the original point...

Sayings that drive me up the fucking wall...

Blue Sky Thinking, Thinking Outside the Box, Pro-active, Mission Statement, Ballpark Figure.

It's not a "ballpark figure" it's a fucking estimate, ifyou mean estimate then fucking say estimate or even "best guess" Fucking Ball-shaggin'-park Figure makes you sound like an Arsehole.

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 8:13 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Thanks Lucile.

Well, there's a big difference between written and spoken language. The latter being way more prone to be colloquial. Plus, it's because a language is spoken that new speech creations can arise and spread in use because of the combined effects of what we call the Maxim of Renewal (desire to renew the language to draw attention), the Maxim of Clarity (speak in such a way that you are understood), the Maxim of Economy (use the minimum of linguistic material) and the Maxim of Extravagance which also betrays a desire to be the centre of attention. It is only when the changes have occurred in the spoken language and that they have been accepted by the majority after being used at a high frequency that these changes can be validated in the written language. Not so long ago, it was unthinkable to use contractions such as 'isn't', 'aren't', or "wouldn't", etc., in the written language but it has now become a very common thing to do even if it still sounds more colloquial than the non contracted form.

Maybe I should read that again when I've had more than three hours sleep :s
;)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 8:18 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Returning to the original point...

Sayings that drive me up the fucking wall...

Blue Sky Thinking, Thinking Outside the Box, Pro-active, Mission Statement, Ballpark Figure.

It's not a "ballpark figure" it's a fucking estimate, ifyou mean estimate then fucking say estimate or even "best guess" Fucking Ball-shaggin'-park Figure makes you sound like an Arsehole.

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

i give estimates daily , ball park price is in the vocabulary , sorry maZn

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:42 AM