Travis

Re: Rant - Crazy Phrases
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:19 PM Quote
I use 'like' all the time! And 'whatever'. Sometimes I think I sound like a dull teen from the tv drama...

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:27 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
weirdmominaustin wrote:
I use like way too much. Especially for a grown woman. I have to try really hard not to say it. It's almost a placeholder while I get the rest of the thought formed or something.

eh don't sweat it , I use like and dude way tooooooo much in conversation but thats the way I speak .

yup! typical "vally" girl here i use 'like'...but not in the sterotypical "like, oh my gosh" haha....and totally.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:53 PM Quote
Oh! And I use 'wee' a way too often lately!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:59 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Hanne wrote:
Maybe it's meant to emphasize the fact that it's the opinion of the speaker, and no one else's opinion? I don't like the expression either.

It's happening in all languages though. Sometimes I wonder where the hell people on tv learned to speak Danish :oS

I wondered that too. But doesn't the I do that sufficently enough?

Yeah I guess it's a weird thing to say. But Hanne is right, it's to emphasise the fact it's your opinion. It's the same as with "personally". "I, personally, think..." etc. Just saying "I" should suffice really. But I reckon it's a way of further securing the "opinion stamp" on what you say, so people don't take what you're saying as fact. Especially useful in the news then I guess, as a means of saving your backside if you're wrong lol.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 1:10 AM Quote
oy, I'm guilty of quite a few of these...

Ursina
Ursina Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 11:33 AM Quote
I probably use 'and stuff' too often but i like using it :-P

what I hate is 'you know' added to every sentence, I myself (lol) must watch out that I don't do it. :-D

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 12:04 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:

Yeah I guess it's a weird thing to say. But Hanne is right, it's to emphasise the fact it's your opinion. It's the same as with "personally". "I, personally, think..." etc. Just saying "I" should suffice really. But I reckon it's a way of further securing the "opinion stamp" on what you say, so people don't take what you're saying as fact. Especially useful in the news then I guess, as a means of saving your backside if you're wrong lol.

I can understand that it's useful if there are two opinions within the same article/story etc, but if there isn't then "I myself" is completely nonsensical.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 12:07 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
I think I'm gonna avoid this thread, I'll get slaughtered for my misuse of the English language, innit.

I have noticed recently that I say 'innit' quite a lot :s

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 12:10 PM Quote
For which you should both be shot. :)

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 12:16 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
For which you should both be shot. :)

For that particular crime I am regularly shot by my mother.
Innit.

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 4:10 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

"I myself ..."

What the hell? Where has that come from? It's not even correct English.

You wouldn't say "Her herself ..." would you? All these 'experts' the BBC use randomly throw in "I myself .." STOP IT, IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!

If it's just for emphasis(though there is no requirement) then one can't really question the correctness of the phrase, right? Like another phrase, "Me, I...", doesn't really come across as incorrect. And, if you think about "She herself..." rather than "her", does that sound more correct? (By the way I'm actually asking you and not correcting you on that, I wouldn't know, English not being my native tongue)
On the topic of annoying phrases, "No offence, but.." is on the top of my list. Currently.

Lucile
Lucile Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 4:51 PM Quote
la femme qui wrote:
Sunny wrote:

"I myself ..."

What the hell? Where has that come from? It's not even correct English.

You wouldn't say "Her herself ..." would you? All these 'experts' the BBC use randomly throw in "I myself .." STOP IT, IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!

If it's just for emphasis(though there is no requirement) then one can't really question the correctness of the phrase, right? Like another phrase, "Me, I...", doesn't really come across as incorrect. And, if you think about "She herself..." rather than "her", does that sound more correct? (By the way I'm actually asking you and not correcting you on that, I wouldn't know, English not being my native tongue)
On the topic of annoying phrases, "No offence, but.." is on the top of my list. Currently.

As a linguist I can explain the "I, myself" phrase. We call it the utterer-centered approach. In all languages there is a need for speakers to be the focus of attention, hence the repetition of personal pronouns. The utterer speaks mostly about himself / herself and his / her emotions. This stems from a desire to become the centre of attention and explains why "She herself" is never used - why would a speaker focus on someone else than themselves?

Someone mentioned that it exists in French as well with "Moi, je..." Sometimes, we also say "Moi, je..." and end the sentence with another "Moi" just in case it wasn't quite clear enough that we are speaking about ourselves as in "Moi, j'aime pas ça, moi". This is only used in spoken French though. I know some of you find it irritating and incorrect but fom a linguist's point of view, the use of such phrases is so widespread (this also an unconscious process) that it cannot be considered as incorrect and has to be studied as part of the language. I only know French and English (and a bit of German) but I'm pretty sure that the same phenomenon is to be found in other languages.

I realise I've just had a very geeky moment here, but I don't care! hehe. I never thought I'd write a post about linguistics on this board though!!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 4:55 PM Quote
Thanks, Lucile!
Now I feel educated! :)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 4:59 PM Quote
la femme qui wrote:

some people say , Offence intended and maybe throw in a mother fucker too

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 5:03 PM Quote
Thanks Lucile. That was interesting and not geeky to me. I loved my linguistics class in college, esp. the social side of it. Like how using inside jokes can be a subconscious (or perhaps conscious) way of excluding someone.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:43 PM