Travis

The world's strangest laws
AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:14 PM Quote
25. It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.

24. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

23. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

22. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.

21. Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.

20. In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.

19. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.

18. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.

17. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

16. In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.

15. In Miami, Florida, it is illegal to skateboard in a police station.

14. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.

13. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.

12. In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.

11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.

10. In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

9. In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.

8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.

7. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.

6. In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

5. In Boulder, Colorado, it is illegal to kill a bird within the city limits and also to “own” a pet – the town’s citizens, legally speaking, are merely “pet minders”.

4. In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

3. In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.

2. In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman’s genitals but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.

1. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

Re: The world's strangest laws
lulu07
lulu07 Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:16 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
25. It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.

24. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

23. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

22. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.

21. Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.

20. In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.

19. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.

18. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.

17. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

16. In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.

14. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.

13. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.

12. In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.

11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.

10. In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

9. In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.

8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.

7. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.

6. In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

5. In Boulder, Colorado, it is illegal to kill a bird within the city limits and also to “own” a pet – the town’s citizens, legally speaking, are merely “pet minders”.

4. In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

3. In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.

2. In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman’s genitals but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.

1. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

About 22, can you call one Squealer or Snowball?

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:19 PM Quote
boule de neige ? why not !

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:19 PM Quote
lulu
i see you read animal farm then

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:20 PM Quote
where do you get the ideas for all your gems of information you supply as,

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:22 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
where do you get the ideas for all your gems of information you supply as,

this one i found on "the times"
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article2251280.ece

did you see number 17 ?
lol

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:24 PM Quote
makes me wish i was pregnant and near a copper
ha ha

most i had never heard of, but will keep in my mind just in case

thanks

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:27 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
makes me wish i was pregnant and near a copper
ha ha

most i had never heard of, but will keep in my mind just in case

thanks

here's my favorite :

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:35 PM Quote
i'm glad i don't live in Indonesia
lol

lilly
lilly Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:37 PM Quote
In Logan County, Colorado, USA, it is still illegal to kiss a woman while she is asleep.

:D

No sleeping beauty in Logan County!

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:40 PM Quote
who makes / made these laws up,

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:51 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
who makes / made these laws up,

i haven't the faintest idea - it would be nice to have an historical background

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:56 PM Quote
hahaha. my favorite is 17

lulu07
lulu07 Posted Sat 18 Aug, 2007 11:01 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
lulu
i see you read animal farm then

Yes strange book

Meridith
Meridith Posted Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:15 AM Quote
In Utah it's illegal to:

*It is against the law to fish from horseback.
*It is illegal not to drink milk.
*It is illegal to detonate any nuclear weapon.
*Birds have the right of way on all highways.
*A husband is responsible for every criminal act committed by his wife while she is in his presence.
*It is a felony to persistently tread on the cracks between paving stones on the sidewalk of a state highway.
*It is considered an offense to hunt whales.
*No one may have sex in the back of an ambulance if it is responding to an emergency call.
*Boxing matches that allow biting are not allowed.
*It is illegal to cause a catastrophe.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:25 PM