Travis

Bruce Lee Or Jackie Chan?
GotChrist
GotChrist Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 6:37 PM Quote
I've been having a debate with people to find out who's the better martial artist. Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan.

Jet Lei was mentioned, but I just ignored that because he was only mentioned once.

Re: Bruce Lee Or Jackie Chan?
threeamigos
threeamigos Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 7:22 PM Quote
I use to like Bruce and then Brandon lee. But to keep up with the times it has to be Jet Li, i know some of his films are a bit cheesy but some are good like Fearless and Hero, and i have all but nine of his films. Oh an you forgot to mention chow yun fat he's good also i have most of his films too.

GotChrist
GotChrist Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 7:24 PM Quote
threeamigos wrote:
I use to like Bruce and then Brandon lee. But to keep up with the times it has to be Jet Li, i know some of his films are a bit cheesy but some are good like Fearless and Hero, and i have all but nine of his films. Oh an you forgot to mention chow yun fat he's good also i have most of his films too.

Chow Yun Fat was never mentioned before, that's why I didn't mention him on this.

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 8:35 PM Quote
GotChrist wrote:
I've been having a debate with people to find out who's the better martial artist. Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan.

Jet Lei was mentioned, but I just ignored that because he was only mentioned once.

Out of those two I would say Bruce Lee.

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 9:45 PM Quote
jackie chan films are funny, so i prefer him,

loria
loria Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:28 PM Quote
for Martial Arts, Jackie and Jet Li are both amazing. for everything else action oriented, Chow Yun Fat, no question. Chow isn't a martial artist though, just purely actor/action hero sort.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 12:02 AM Quote
Jackie Chan is more acrobatic comedy , but he did fight Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 4:39 AM Quote
I really dislike Chow Yun Fat and Jet Lei. The first is more tolerable, but Jet Lei *pukes* is probably one of the shittiest actors out there and carries this really fake tough guy attitude. Jackie Chan's really charming, but Bruce Lee is NO DOUBT the better martial artist. His like 7 ft high kicks, 1 inch punch, and the fact that he street fought and everything. He was amazing. Jackie is just more flashy, using chairs and props. But if Bruce were alive and young, he could do all those same things too, and probably not mess up so much that the movie would have 10 minutes of bloopers.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 9:03 AM Quote
Isn't Jackie Chan more of a stunt man/choreographer ?? not a bad thing he's pretty fucking amazing at it in fairness, not a huge fan of Bruce Lee, too hyped. Chow Yun Fat is a quite accomplished actor(Bulletproof Monk not counted) and has been doing Mandarin films for years before making it big in Holywood type stuff. A couple of others you may consider, Sonny Chiba and Collin Chou(Seraph from the Matrix films, seemingly the story goes he had to be asked to slow down during the filming as he's too fast)

Dubz
nemo me impune lacessit

Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 9:46 AM Quote
Hmmm...BRUCE LEE! Obviously! Jackie Chan is pretty shite in comparison.

GotChrist
GotChrist Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 1:08 PM Quote
I never got to see many Bruce Lee movies so I don't know how good he is.

Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 5:12 PM Quote
No me neither...it's just that he has an almost mythical fan base...championing and in a sense glorifying his stunts...

Besides...wasn't he shot "by accidnet"...when shooting a movie with randomers who envied his work?

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 6:21 PM Quote
Tianyan wrote:
No me neither...it's just that he has an almost mythical fan base...championing and in a sense glorifying his stunts...

Besides...wasn't he shot "by accidnet"...when shooting a movie with randomers who envied his work?

No that was his son Brandon Lee who was "accidently" shot during The Crow.
Didn't Bruce Lee have a heart attack or something? Or he took some painkillers for something and fell asleep and didn't wake up?

GotChrist
GotChrist Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 7:54 PM Quote
I heard that he died of a heart attack but I didn't hear anything about pain killers.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 7:59 PM Quote
Use the Web ya lazy buggers...

as far as I remember he had a reaction to Aspirin or something...

Death by "misadventure"
A foreshadowing of events to come occurred on May 10th, 1973 when Bruce Lee collapsed in Golden Harvest studios while doing dubbing work for Enter the Dragon. Suffering from full-body seizures and cerebral edema, he was immediately rushed to the hospital where doctors were able to reduce the swelling through the administration of Mannitol and revive him. These same symptoms that occurred in his first collapse were later recapitulated on the day of his death.[67]

On July 20, 1973, Lee was in Hong Kong, due to have dinner with former James Bond star George Lazenby, with whom he intended to make a film. According to Lee's wife Linda, Lee met producer Raymond Chow at 2 p.m. at home to discuss the making of the movie Game of Death. They worked until 4 p.m. and then drove together to the home of Lee's colleague Betty Ting Pei, a Taiwanese actress. The three went over the script at Pei's home, and then Chow left to attend a dinner meeting.

A short time later, Lee complained of a headache, and Ting Pei gave him a now-banned powerful analgesic (painkiller), Equagesic, which contained both aspirian and a muscle relaxant. At around 7:30 p.m., he went to lie down for a nap. After Lee did not turn up for dinner, Chow came to the apartment but could not wake Lee up. A doctor was summoned, who spent ten minutes attempting to revive him before sending him by ambulance to Queen Elizabeth Hospital. However, Lee was dead by the time he reached the hospital. There was no visible external injury; however, his brain had swollen considerably, from 1,400 to 1,575 grams (a 13% increase). Lee was 32 years old. The only two substances found during the autopsy were Equagesic and cannabis. On October 15, 2005, Chow stated in an interview that Lee died from a hypersensitivity to the muscle relaxant in Equagesic, which he described as a common ingredient in painkillers. When the doctors announced Bruce Lee's death officially, it was ruled as "Death by Misadventure."

Another theory is that he died from an allergic reaction to Cannabis which he was consuming at the time in hashish form.[68] While the theory is controversial, it is supported by both Don Langford (Lee's personal physician in Hong Kong) and Peter Wu (the head neurosurgeon who saved Lee's life after his first collapse).[69] At the very least, Wu suggests that the official Inquest on his death should have concluded that his death was due to a hypersensitivity to Equagesic OR cannabis, as the role of cannabis could not be entirely ruled out. He also points to the fact that Equagesic was not present in Lee's body during his first collapse. [67] It should be noted that a accepted use of Cannabis in medicine is as a anti-inflammatory agent, which is in opposition of Bruce's official cause of death, swelling of the brain.

However, the exact details of Lee's death are controversial. Bruce Lee's iconic status and unusual death at a young age led many people to develop many theories about his death. Such theories about his death included murder involving the Triad society and a supposed a curse on Lee and his family. The theory of the curse carried over to Lee's son Brandon Lee, also an actor, who died 20 years after his father in a bizarre accident while filming The Crow at the young age of 28. Like his father's last film, released after his death to gain cult status, Brandon's last film The Crow was also released after his death, completed with the use of computer-generated imagery and a stunt double in the few remaining but critical scenes that Brandon had left unfilmed at his death.

The grave site of Bruce Lee and his son, BrandonUpon the death of her husband, Linda returned to her home town of Seattle and had Bruce buried at lot 276 of Lakeview Cemetery. His son Brandon was buried beside him. Pallbearers at his funeral on July 31, 1973 included Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Chuck Norris, Dan Inosanto, Taky Kimura, Peter Chin, and his brother, Robert Lee.

Dubz
nemo me impune lacessit

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:34 PM