Travis

Does anyone know anything about Saxophones??
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 5:09 PM Quote

Was maybe thinking of buying one but don't even know where to start??

I'd love to be able to play One Step Beyond and Night Boat to Cairo

Re: Does anyone know anything about Saxophones??
paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 5:12 PM Quote
I used to play when i was wee, and my Dad rented one from a music shop for me, whilst i was learning- just to see if i could do it. That way you don't have to shell out to buy one, yet you can still have one to try out, and if you don't get the hang of it then you can just stop renting it. Go into a music shop and ask about it, i'd say most places would do that. I've seen leaflets in most music shops about that sort of thing anyway.

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 5:19 PM Quote
Lisa Simpson plays the sax!

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/kachita_245053/1058513288_sOtherLisa.jpg

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 5:25 PM Quote
tenor is the most common Alto a higher pitch , baratone is the rock n roll one

GotChrist
GotChrist Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 6:33 PM Quote
I've been playing alto sax for 2 and a half years. It's really good and you can play anything you want on it ... if you know how to play it obviously.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 11:28 PM Quote
[quote="Scottish Dubliner"]

Ask Dougie?

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 12:01 AM Quote
One thing I do know is that Travis should get a saxophone in a song in the future, 'cos their cool. Or maybe they could do a cover of "Baker Street". Great song. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/24-happy2.gif

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 2:20 AM Quote
Go with the Tenor Sax....it's the REAL rock 'n' roll sax...I played one for years...always had all of the solos in band.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 2:49 AM Quote
I know Dougie plays it and I want to campaign to have him play it at a show.

Cynthia
Cynthia Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 4:40 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I'd love to be able to play One Step Beyond and Night Boat to Cairo

I've been playing the sax for about 15 years and it's essential that you play a bunch of them before before making the big purchase. There are many different models with a range of prices to match. It's kind of like buying a car - be prepared to "test drive" many of them before you commit to one. Even within a particular brand and model, saxophones vary a lot from instrument to instrument. Last time I bought one, I played 5 saxes of the exact same brand /model to find the one that suited me best. Different choices of finish - gold lacquer, black epoxy, silver, etc. - also yield themselves to different musical styles and sounds. Don't skimp on the mouthpiece and ligature. Often the ones included with saxophones are less than desirable. Be prepared to spend a little extra on a good one and it'll make a huge difference in your sound. Invest in a "swab/pad saver" to protect the leather pads on the keys.

I play on an alto Keilwerth SX 90R and I think it is a supremely fine instrument. Again, it's very much a matter of personal preference, but I think Keilwerth horns have a rich, full sound.

A great place to browse online is wwbw.com. This will give you a good sense of what's available, pricing, etc.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:21 PM