Travis

1997 Album Promo
joemono
joemono Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:51 AM Quote
I recently acquired a promo cassette from 1997 that contains 7 tracks presumably recorded sometime during 1996.

1. All I Wanna Do Is Rock
2. A Good Day To Die
3. U16 Girls
4. As You Are
5. I Love You Anyways
6. Funny Thing
7. The Line Is Fine

Three of the tracks (AIWTDIR, The Line Is Fine, Funny Thing) were also used on the first Travis 10", and one (U16 Girls) was used on a compilation.

While these tracks don't differ a whole lot from what would later be released, it's neat to hear them, especially the early version of As You Are.

Hear 'em here:
http://travis.ography.co.uk/release_details.php?id=395

Re: 1997 Album Promo
Trixi
Trixi Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 12:28 PM Quote
BRILLIANT, especially As You Are! Thank you! :)
EDIT: funny how "boyish" (is this a word?) Fran's voice sounds compared to today, or is it just my imagination? *shrugs*

hail_fran
hail_fran Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 12:38 PM Quote
cool thanks for this, you're right its interesting to hear this. as you are is another song written early by fran then, i heard he wrote safe and side when he was 19 and turn around the same age......what a guy lol

mayfly
mayfly Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 12:58 PM Quote
Ohhhhh...... Fran's young voice~
Thanks for the rare promo.

kevinnn
kevinnn Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 1:40 PM Quote
i always thought frans voice sounded totally different during the pre man who days. it always sounded as if he has a wee cold or something.

mayfly
mayfly Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 3:20 PM Quote
kevinnn wrote:
i always thought frans voice sounded totally different during the pre man who days. it always sounded as if he has a wee cold or something.

I'm not sure if he have changed vocalism or it's because of too much fag but his voice sounds quite different in the pre the man who time as you mentioned. Sometimes it sounds more nasal or huskier if I've got right hearing. ^__^

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 3:31 PM Quote
mayfly wrote:
kevinnn wrote:

I'm not sure if he have changed vocalism or it's because of too much fag but his voice sounds quite different in the pre the man who time as you mentioned. Sometimes it sounds more nasal or huskier if I've got right hearing. ^__^

He does sound different. He is singing through his nose and not opening up the back of his throat enough. He definitely sounds way better now! : )

joemono
joemono Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 7:35 PM Quote
I think the tape is slightly faster than it should be. I noticed it on U16 girls - the version on the tape was also released on the "17 Volume" compilation and on that it has been slightly slowed down. I tested this theory out by "pitch shifting" the cassette version and then matching it up to the one I ripped from the compilation. Sure enough after slowing it down a tiny bit, it played the same length and everything lined up.

Given all that, though, I didn't feel qualified to make a judgment about the other tracks so I left them as is (U16 Girls is taken from the comp, not the tape, which is why the quality is better). Perhaps someone more qualified is up for the challenge?

If Fran reads this, maybe he can chime in and explain in some recording terms what exactly is going on.

Anyway, I think this partially explains his slightly chipmunk-esque voice.

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:23 PM Quote
yehh i was just thinking that... pitch is defintly slightly higher/speed faster.. specially on as you are

really cool though.. im sure you could try to alter the pitch slightly in cool edit if you really wanted to though to though

another great find joe.. i honestly love travisography.. its a really great resource. well done

quick question.. is this the line up still with geoff? is that him on keyboard yeh? i forget when it was when the martyn brothers left

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:25 PM Quote
cooool thanks

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 04 Aug, 2007 5:59 AM Quote
Like you say , Frans young voice :-) ....The gravelly bits come more naturally now .Thanks

joemono
joemono Posted Sat 04 Aug, 2007 6:12 AM Quote
accousticbug wrote:
really cool though.. im sure you could try to alter the pitch slightly in cool edit if you really wanted to though to though

If you're up for the challenge, I can send you the raw .wav files that I made from the tape.

accousticbug wrote:

quick question.. is this the line up still with geoff? is that him on keyboard yeh? i forget when it was when the martyn brothers left

I'm not sure. I know that this tape includes songs that were released on the original AIWTDIR 10", which was when they were officially Travis. It's my understanding that the brothers were never part of the "Travis" line up. Though I guess it's possible that they played on these tracks anyway, even though they weren't officially in the band. Good question.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:01 PM