Travis

Re: Travis downloads
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 8:31 AM Quote
^^ Lol, I don't think quoting that post is a good idea :)

Bellringer
Bellringer Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 10:21 AM Quote
I can understand where the "guilt" derives from, but it's as simple as this for me. Australia ia an anti-Travis country. Their stuff never gets played on any radio stations at all (expect maybe WDIAROM and Sing very occassionally).

Even if i went to the most obscure record collectors shop in the country, there'd be no chance of buying the singles.

I don't purchase stuff over the net, don;t know how and I don't want or need a credit card, but I crave Travis B-Sides cause they're effing awesome.

If they are actually avaliable on Itunes though, i might consider getting meself one of those cards and splashing out on some travis rarities.

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 12:11 PM Quote
Is the best way to pay tribute to a song, to pay for it or to share it to as many people as possible? I personally find it really hard to answer that, but I think it's an interesting question. A third alternative could be that the best way to pay for music wouldn't be to pay for it in money, but to make your own music and in that way carry on the tradtition set by the songs you once downloaded for free. (Sorry for not making myself very clear here...)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 2:42 PM Quote
Rallyfoeraren wrote:
A third alternative could be that the best way to pay for music wouldn't be to pay for it in money, but to make your own music and in that way carry on the tradition set by the songs you once downloaded for free.

That would be perfect for Paul C and Amy Macdonald, but less good for the rest of us! It's a great way of thinking about the problems with file-sharing though, even if it would be hard to implement.

I can just imagine someone walking into a record shop and serenading the pay-desk staff then walking out with albums by the artists that inspired them :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 2:56 PM Quote
I'd be alright then cuz I'm a rock god! :)

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 3:15 PM Quote
I've heard myself from his own mouth, on stage, (Birmingham Academy last May? Either that or Warrington last March) Fran say (and I'm paraphrasing as I don't remember his exact words) 'Just get the music, even if you have to download it, whatever, just get it'.

Now, I'm pretty sure that isn't a blanket advocation for illegal file sharing, HOWEVER I think the spirit of what he said would reflect that while they would rather people go and buy it, if financial constrictions meant that you couldn't afford to buy it, he'd rather you got hold of it SOMEHOW rather than go without it.

There will always be people who staunchly oppose file-sharing. I'm not one of them I'm afraid. That said, Travis is just about the only band I'll spend my money on in terms of CD's, every other band only makes money from me in gig ticket sales/merch/t-shirts/etc.

Whoever posted above regarding making a contribution to Michael Coates appeal for using this free Travis music resource is a bloody genius, and I'd strongly advocate that sort of idea. In the long term, maybe the band could pick a charity they would like to support and people can donate a small amount every time they dip into the archive? Of course, this relies on honesty, but the point isn't how many don't donate, it's how many do.

That all just appeared in my head so I typed it out without much thought. Maybe it's a go-er. I don't know. Feedback?

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 5:07 PM Quote
Another thought just struck me: If Travis were eager to make as much money as possible out of their B-sides, they would probably have had released some sort of B-sides collection album ages ago.

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 5:37 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
Whoever posted above regarding making a contribution to Michael Coates appeal for using this free Travis music resource is a bloody genius, and I'd strongly advocate that sort of idea. In the long term, maybe the band could pick a charity they would like to support and people can donate a small amount every time they dip into the archive? Of course, this relies on honesty, but the point isn't how many don't donate, it's how many do.

That all just appeared in my head so I typed it out without much thought. Maybe it's a go-er. I don't know. Feedback?

Yep, like i said in my previous post i think that this kind of a solution would be a great one. Though i have no idea how exactly to arrange it.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 6:13 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

Whoever posted above regarding making a contribution to Michael Coates appeal for using this free Travis music resource is a bloody genius

Blushes, takes a bow, and blows a kiss to Esteban! :)

On the subject of which charity, it's an impossible task for a boardie to select one. I only raised Michael's due to it being topical on the Travis forum, and directly linked to the band, not to mention being a tremendous project.

Far be it from me to dictate a worthy cause, but I do remember the charity busks Travis performed to raise funds for homeless charities in 2004........

I think it'd be hard to execute a link between downloading and donating, but it's my request of the day for some genius to try and organise!

I wish Fran was reading this thread to do some much needed arbitration!

Also, fao Esteban, I'm not strongly for or against downloads, I just objected to the all taking no giving activity of this particular thread.

velvet
velvet Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 9:38 PM Quote
help. how can i get other fils from list in the 1st page? I mean, there is active on videos, but in savefile page open just ~ 8 videos. How can i get others? stupid question, i know, but....

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 7:49 AM Quote
velvet wrote:
help. how can i get other fils from list in the 1st page? I mean, there is active on videos, but in savefile page open just ~ 8 videos. How can i get others? stupid question, i know, but....

These files have probably been removed by Savefile.com itself. You see, when nobody downloads a file for a certain period of time the file sort of expires and the site removes it.

Try Mayfly's Travis Archive, another cornucopia of Travis goodies :D

velvet
velvet Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 10:57 AM Quote
Thanks!

matsimon
matsimon Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 6:34 PM Quote
glastonbury 2000 (part II) its not work!! please repost!!

:)

Bellringer
Bellringer Posted Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:00 PM Quote
Can anyone help me out with a link to the MP3 of Bring Me Round. One of the few Travis songs I am yet to own a copy of. It's impossible to buy/find.It's not included in the links on the first page of this thread.

akanksha
akanksha Posted Sat 20 Sep, 2008 2:48 PM Quote
Wow. Thanks for these uploads; I've been trying to find downloadable versions of the Bsides for ages!

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:03 PM