Travis

Re: Travis skips fans in Orlando
Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:32 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Esteban wrote:

I don't know. Oh, wait.

THE BAND? THEIR MANAGEMENT?

I'm sure there's a less embarrassing way of bringing this up than sounding like a spoilt brat on a message board, giving it all 'disrespected' this and that, which is one of the most inappropriately words in the English language.

Embarrasing for who? The band? I'm sure they can fight their own corner (if they're even interested in doing so). And Fran reads the board so I'm guessing he'll read this.

Sorry, no offence to you but I hate all this "don't criticise the band" shite. How d'ya think they (try to) keep their feet on the ground?

I'm not saying that the band is beyond criticism, but I disagree with the original poster, so that makes my viewpoint look that way in this particular discussion. Be careful of taking my opinion on this and assuming I apply it as broadly as you think I do.

I think it's embarrassing for everyone really, the poster and the band. I think it's unfortunate that it's come out here.

emmahealy
emmahealy Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:36 PM Quote
so as a coldplay fan you registered with a coldplay name onto the travis msg board to piss and moan...

I waited for the guys outside Boston as I think i'm the only one on here without an avatar of me and a travis band member.. did I piss and moan NO.. did my son piss and moan NO (well actually yeah he did to me hee hee..)

anyway..

You are of course welcome to stay but bad vibes from your first posting puts people off.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:37 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
I'm not saying that the band is beyond criticism, but I disagree with the original poster, so that makes my viewpoint look that way in this particular discussion. Be careful of taking my opinion on this and assuming I apply it as broadly as you think I do.

I think it's embarrassing for everyone really, the poster and the band. I think it's unfortunate that it's come out here.

I guess I can see your side but the first point of call for most bands these days is their website, and the original poster has highlighted an important issue - don't go to Travis' gigs with the expectation that they'll do a meet & greet afterwards.

clockpolitiks
clockpolitiks Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:39 PM Quote
I know, I know, you can't expect them to always come out. That's ok with me. If they aren't going to come out, that's fine. The only thing was that people kept telling us that they were coming. I'm actually more disappointed at them than I am the band. Still though, a message would have been prudent.

houseofthuan
houseofthuan Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:43 PM Quote
All this talk about sneaking, and getting drunk, and wanting rest is all speculation. We (the audience/fans) have no idea what's going behind the gates or backstage. At the same time, Travis, very likely, does not know what's going on the outside. The band members, very likely do not know what their crew or roadies tell the fans.

Travis has been extremely generous in the past to come out after shows and greet fans. But that's something they're not obliged to do. All they owe us is a great show for the ticket price we paid. (By my standards, $20 US is a bargain for what they put on.)

We're assuming they intentionally snubbed or disrespected fans. I like to think they're better than that. These guys put on a great show. They're job was done. Andy decided to give a little extra. That's just the way it goes.

PS. I hear that Cypress Gardens will be extra nice park to go visit on Wednesday, August 1, 2007. You'll get a "good feeling" there.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:43 PM Quote
Imagine if they didn't do a meet and greet at the Mexican show. There'd be a massacre!

I looked the other day and there were 267 members signed up for the show. Unbelievable enthusiasm for Travis in Mexico it seems :)

emmahealy
emmahealy Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:46 PM Quote
clockpolitiks wrote:
I know, I know, you can't expect them to always come out. That's ok with me. If they aren't going to come out, that's fine. The only thing was that people kept telling us that they were coming. I'm actually more disappointed at them than I am the band. Still though, a message would have been prudent.

Bullsh1t... you would still have waited "just in case"

They dont have to come out at all you are fine with that... so you are complaining about something the band dont even have to do!!!!

jesus

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:47 PM Quote
...it sucks you didn't get to meet them all but i'd cut my losses to have at least met one of the members...that alone would have made it worth it...sheistier stuff has happened...these guys are still tops for doing their best whenever they can.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:47 PM Quote
emmahealy wrote:
I think i'm the only one on here without an avatar of me and a travis band member..

Yeaaaah, suuuure you are.

clockpolitiks
clockpolitiks Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:47 PM Quote
emmahealy wrote:
so as a coldplay fan you registered with a coldplay name onto the travis msg board to piss and moan...

I waited for the guys outside Boston as I think i'm the only one on here without an avatar of me and a travis band member.. did I piss and moan NO.. did my son piss and moan NO (well actually yeah he did to me hee hee..)

anyway..

You are of course welcome to stay but bad vibes from your first posting puts people off.

First of all, what does being a Coldplay fan have to do with anything? I'm sorry you were not able to meet them either. Sorry for your son. I have to say though, that both of our experiences were different. Bad vibes? I was just describing what happened to me, and how I felt.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:48 PM Quote
emmahealy wrote:
clockpolitiks wrote:

They dont have to come out at all you are fine with that... so you are complaining about something the band dont even have to do!!!!

jesus

Thank God, a likeminded individual, Emma Healy, I salute you.

neverAcquiesce
neverAcquiesce Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:48 PM Quote
The inherant problem with the accesibility of Travis (or any famous individual or group of individuals, touring bands being among the most applicable) is that what they do on one night doesn't translate to what they do on all nights.

IE, they meet fans on Night 1, meet and sign autographs on Night 2, skip on Night 3, and go bowling with the crowd on Night 4. The fans attending Night 5's show cannot then expect any of the above and, in turn, be disappointed when Fran doesn't personally write a sonnet for those waiting after the show.

These are people first, rock stars second.

Els*
Els* Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:50 PM Quote
clockpolitiks wrote:

that is a very good point you have there.

i for one think that an end of tour celebration should be expected. so in defense of the band i just want to point out how incredibly deciplined the boys were during the tour. they might have had the occassional beer but i bet they were tempted many times to go for the shots and did not give in to temptation. this was their celebration night so as disappointed as you were, they deserved the time to celebrate.

Andy is so nice. You should be honored to meet him. Join the Andy club of adoration. ;) [/quote]

Oh, I totally agree. They definitely deserve time to celebrate. I have no problem with that. Drink up lads, you know? I only have a problem that they knew we were out there, and only Andy decided to do something about it. At first I thought that they sent him out as a lone messenger or something but he never said anything like, "oh the guys are sorry, but they can't come out". He thought they were coming out too! I guess I just don't feel like drinking is an excuse to not even acknowledge your hardcore fans. Given, they seem to have been more than welcome to do extremely nice things in the past, I can't forgive them for this just based on that. I'm still a fan, but come on, wouldn't you guys be mad too? [/quote]

Okay. Look at the logic here. You have a problem that they knew you were out there and did not come out to see you and take pictures and sign autographs. We've established that there were no formal invitations for a meet and greet. They may have been having a party. Since you did not receive invitation for either one, you stood out of your own free will as an unvited participant. There was never an agreement that they would come out. You were taking them for granted and assuming they would come out. Why? Just because they've done that in the past doesn't mean they do it every single time. I've been to 6 shows on this tour. I would never take it for granted that they would show up for an unplanned meet and greet. Its a bonus if they do. I would assume that they would not take it for granted that I'd be there waiting after each show. It is what it is. Call it chance because it should not come off as a planned event like you were assuming it was.

As for staff giving you updates, they are busy working loading equipment and all. I've been in venues and backstage enough to realize they have little contact with the band at that time of night. They may see them briefly but they are not going to walk up and ask them what to tell the fans. I'm sure they meant well as Travis staff and roadcrew all seem very nice.

clockpolitiks
clockpolitiks Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:54 PM Quote
emmahealy wrote:
clockpolitiks wrote:

jesus

Yea, I am fine with them not coming out. What I'm not ok with is people telling us throughout 2 1/2 that they are coming, only to have them drive right by us in their tour bus, and pulling down the blinds in the bus. If someone told us flat out, "they aren't coming out tonight". I would have left. I had a couple hours drive ahead of me. Are you even reading my posts?

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:54 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Quote:
I'm still a fan, but come on, wouldn't you guys be mad too?

It's happened to me before, but no i wasn't mad. I don't think you can expect them to come out, just cos you're a fan and you're waiting there. And they're certainly not obliged to do it. And i realised that after waiting for them for an hour after the Belfast gig in 2003.

In fact, it's good that they do come out (when they do) because a lot of bands just wouldn't care about that sort of thing!

Travis aren't trains or buses. Just cos you wait for them, doesn't always mean they'll show up. They're people who some of the time probably just want to get on with their lives and don't have to do the things we expect them to do- not at all. I think you should count yourself lucky that at least one of them came out, because again that wouldn't even happen with a lot of bands. I can understand why you're upset or annoyed about it, of course. But i can see both sides of this- and they both make sense. It's a tricky one!

i like what you said. smart man.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:38 PM