Travis

Travis skips fans in Orlando
clockpolitiks
clockpolitiks Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:01 PM Quote
I went to the Orlando show last night. The concert itself was awesome. I was on the barricade right in front of Dougie. It was great. The show ended around 10:30. Anyway, after the show about 60 fans were waiting outside of this huge wooden fence. Behind the fence are semi trucks and their tour bus. People are coming out of the huge fence door all the time to unload and to let the semi trucks out. Well, it's about 12:30 and the band hasn't left in their bus yet, but they haven't come out. The crowd has dwindled to maybe 30 fans, including myself. Roadies for the band kept coming out saying "10 more minutes, they're gonna come out" to us.

We kept asking when the guys were coming out to see us. One guy said that they were all taking shots and relaxing because it was the last night of the US tour. Understandable. Well, around 12:45 Andy came stumbling out the door. Nice as can be, he got pictures and autographs with all of us. After about 15 minutes he left. About 15-20 minutes later, all the semi-trucks are gone. The tour bus is all that's left. The house of blues workers remove part of the fence, and the bus starts to leave. One of the bus windows is exposed, and we all see a hand pull down the blinds so that they wouldn't see our disappointed faces. They then drove off.

Everyone had waited HOURS to just get a quick picture and autograph. The other members of Travis didn't even acknowledge us. We never saw them. I've been reading on this forum that the guys have come out to almost every show and hung out for a while. Me and many other fans were very upset. I know that they don't have to come out all the time, but they could have sent out a messenger saying "look guys, they are not coming out tonight". I would have been sad, but fine. At least they would have told us what's going on. I feel very disrespected.

Re: Travis skips fans in Orlando
goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:13 PM Quote
...that really stinks...at least Andy came out??...don't know what else to say really...

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:22 PM Quote
Maybe they were planning on coming out and were just too exhausted (read: wasted)....or really, really tired....being the last show, I probably just hit them and they were done when they walked off stage.

clockpolitiks
clockpolitiks Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:23 PM Quote
I kept trying to tell myself that. "At least Andy came out". That got old during the couple hour drive home. The real kicker was that I think one of the band members pulled the blinds down. It was just like...they didn't want anything to do with us. It might have ruined my view of them. Except Andy. He's awesome.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:29 PM Quote
I'm sorry your after experience wasn't what you hoped for- esp. after reading about other fans having great encounters, your expectation would be high. I would be really upset as well. It sounds like they had intended to but then celebrated so much that it was not a good idea for them to come out. You're right, someone telling you they're not coming would have been great but tour folks probably didn't know until the last minute that it wasn't happening.

Lucile
Lucile Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:35 PM Quote
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get to meet the band (you did get to meet Andy though and he stayed with you for a while) and I can understand your disappointment but I don't think it's fair to say they disrespected the fans.

People tend to take it for granted that they're going to come out for a chat and sign autographs but they don't have to do it. A lot of bands don't come out for the fans. The Travis lads take the time to meet the people waiting outside more often than not. They've been touring for a while now and they must have been tired. Maybe they had other things to attend to. And maybe they came out before you did or they used another exit. I have missed them by a few seconds a couple of times but I never felt disrespected. Again, I understand why you're disappointed but please don't blame them. They are one of the most (if not THE most) caring band(s) around and they are entitled to some rest.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:35 PM Quote
clockpolitiks wrote:
I kept trying to tell myself that. "At least Andy came out".

Going on the possibility that they were really drunk, just imagine how awful it would have been if they did come out. I'm sure they know by now when they've had too much to adequately interact with fans and know it's better to skip out and disappoint.

clockpolitiks
clockpolitiks Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:38 PM Quote
mozman68 wrote:
Maybe they were planning on coming out and were just too exhausted (read: wasted)....or really, really tired....being the last show, I probably just hit them and they were done when they walked off stage.

I thought that too, but still, how hard is it to send a message to the fans. "Hey, sorry but we're going to take it easy tonight and do our own thing". It's like, they had to have known we were waiting. People who kept coming out of the fence were talking about them inside. So they were interacting with the band, telling them that we were there. I appreciate everyone's thoughts though.

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:38 PM Quote
EDIT: my feelings have changed from feeling sorry for you, and saying "aww" to just wanting to say, "feel blessed". blah blah *repeats what paul_c and lucile and others have said*

Els*
Els* Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:43 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
clockpolitiks wrote:
I kept trying to tell myself that. "At least Andy came out".

Going on the possibility that they were really drunk, just imagine how awful it would have been if they did come out. I'm sure they know by now when they've had too much to adequately interact with fans and know it's better to skip out and disappoint.

that is a very good point you have there.

i for one think that an end of tour celebration should be expected. so in defense of the band i just want to point out how incredibly deciplined the boys were during the tour. they might have had the occassional beer but i bet they were tempted many times to go for the shots and did not give in to temptation. this was their celebration night so as disappointed as you were, they deserved the time to celebrate.

Andy is so nice. You should be honored to meet him. Join the Andy club of adoration. ;)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:45 PM Quote
clockpolitiks wrote:
I thought that too, but still, how hard is it to send a message to the fans. "Hey, sorry but we're going to take it easy tonight and do our own thing". It's like, they had to have known we were waiting. People who kept coming out of the fence were talking about them inside. So they were interacting with the band, telling them that we were there. I appreciate everyone's thoughts though.

They were probably intending to. I understand your feelings and I'm not trying to convince you to not feel upset and disappointed. But they are so good to their fans (I know that must be a knife in the gut right now) that I have to believe there was a good reason and that it unfortunately just played out in a way that isn't preferrable.

Aren't they filming "My Eyes" in Orlando? Maybe they're still there and you can track them down. Give them spankings and then some kisses.

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:49 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get to meet the band (you did get to meet Andy though and he stayed with you for a while) and I can understand your disappointment but I don't think it's fair to say they disrespected the fans.

People tend to take it for granted that they're going to come out for a chat and sign autographs but they don't have to do it. A lot of bands don't come out for the fans. The Travis lads take the time to meet the people waiting outside more often than not. They've been touring for a while now and they must have been tired. Maybe they had other things to attend to. And maybe they came out before you did or they used another exit. I have missed them by a few seconds a couple of times but I never felt disrespected. Again, I understand why you're disappointed but please don't blame them. They are one of the most (if not THE most) caring band(s) around and they are entitled to some rest.

completely agree w/ya Lucile

mecarr
mecarr Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:56 PM Quote
So let me make sure I get the story right...
You were waiting for 2 hours outside while the rest of the band was sitting in their tour bus? Or were they inside the building and then snuck into the tour bus and left?

I understand them wanting to relax and all and maybe not wanna do the whole meet and greet. However, it wouldn't have hurt to know their intentions so you wouldn't have had to wait outside so long.

clockpolitiks
clockpolitiks Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:04 PM Quote
mecarr wrote:
So let me make sure I get the story right...
You were waiting for 2 hours outside while the rest of the band was sitting in their tour bus? Or were they inside the building and then snuck into the tour bus and left?

I understand them wanting to relax and all and maybe not wanna do the whole meet and greet. However, it wouldn't have hurt to know their intentions so you wouldn't have had to wait outside so long.

I'm pretty sure they were inside the house of blues, then they snuck into their tourbus, which was behind some huge fence connected to the building. Some of their crew and friends kept coming in and out of the entrance to put away some gear in their cars, and most of them kept telling us that the band was coming out. That they had just seen the band and that they were coming. One of the guys was even talking to Andy when he came out, so I know they weren't lying to us. They actually thought they were all coming out.

clockpolitiks
clockpolitiks Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:08 PM Quote
[/quote]Aren't they filming "My Eyes" in Orlando? Maybe they're still there and you can track them down. Give them spankings and then some kisses. [/quote]

They are, but I don't live in Orlando. I had a long drive last night.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:30 AM