Travis

the final straw with the NME
accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 8:42 PM Quote
did anyone read amy macdonalds album review in the nme.

see the thing is.. the review read like it didnt actually get reviewed, it went on the premise that because she has an association with travis, it was deemed shite.

i hate the nme so so much. it just epitomises everything wrong with the current pop culture. i could go into a rant about it but lets not, i think everyone knows the story with them anyway.

Re: the final straw with the NME
moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 8:44 PM Quote
I gave up reading the NME years ago, it's full of crap.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 8:45 PM Quote
The NME never reviews anything properly.

I read a review of a Thirteen Senses song, and it slagged off Coldplay and then at the end of it it said something like "Well there's not really much difference!"

Stoopid

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 8:48 PM Quote
it reviews things they think are cool properly. artic monkeys, klaxons, kate nash..

travis were once NMEs darlings.. why do they deserve this treatment now? its just so two faced. i was seething coming out of borders book shop

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 8:51 PM Quote
accousticbug wrote:
it reviews things they think are cool properly. artic monkeys, klaxons, kate nash..

travis were once NMEs darlings.. why do they deserve this treatment now? its just so two faced. i was seething coming out of borders book shop

Yup, they're so fickle it's just laughable.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 8:51 PM Quote
Ach don't be! Only get annoyed if it's a worthwhile publication that talks utter nonsense ;)

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 8:57 PM Quote
people should get annoyed with it paul...

because this stuff influences people. it rubs off on those who buy it. theres loads of people that religiously read the nme and may take it word for word.

its just appalling really. totally incensed.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 8:57 PM Quote
Everyone knows that NME is shite, they overrate average bands who they claim to be 'cool' then all the NME reading indie kids who can't create an opinion for themselves follow it up, and then you have a whole scene of really shit music, when the decent bands get slagged off or forgotten about. Or if these bands get bigger than just the indie scene, the NME gets their knickers in a twist and decides they aint cool anymore, so they slag them off too.

Well, thats what I've found anyway. I like to think people are capable of making up their own minds about music. Fair enough you can find out about new bands through the NME, but they just hype up bands soo much to the point where they eventually destroy them. Like Travis, they used to be cool, something happened and now they are the complete opposite.

Rant over. Thisis the most I've spoken today haha.

hail_fran
hail_fran Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 9:08 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Everyone knows that NME is shite, they overrate average bands who they claim to be 'cool' then all the NME reading indie kids who can't create an opinion for themselves follow it up, and then you have a whole scene of really shit music, when the decent bands get slagged off or forgotten about. Or if these bands get bigger than just the indie scene, the NME gets their knickers in a twist and decides they aint cool anymore, so they slag them off too.

well said, i find most music magazines are crap but especially NME and Q who seem to love the shite monkeys.
Well, thats what I've found anyway. I like to think people are capable of making up their own minds about music. Fair enough you can find out about new bands through the NME, but they just hype up bands soo much to the point where they eventually destroy them. Like Travis, they used to be cool, something happened and now they are the complete opposite.

Rant over. Thisis the most I've spoken today haha.

well said, i think most music magazines are crap but espscially NME and Q who seem to love the shite monkeys.

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 9:10 PM Quote
if everyone knew it was shite then it wouldnt be in existance because no one would buy it.

its why it annoys me.. people read it and think its cool

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 9:16 PM Quote
accousticbug wrote:
if everyone knew it was shite then it wouldnt be in existance because no one would buy it.

its why it annoys me.. people read it and think its cool

Why IS NME 'cool'?

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 9:20 PM Quote
youd really have to ask there readership that one

kevinnn
kevinnn Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 9:29 PM Quote
the nme makes my blood boil.

enough said.

beatlejenn
beatlejenn Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:02 PM Quote
I was getting pissed off reading reviews of the album yesterday online too, but just had to remind myself that there are so many of us that know that the music Travis puts out is quality stuff...we understand how much love and passion goes into these albums and these shows over the last ten years. It's unfortunate that magazines only publish one review by one writer, and it may be just the luck of the draw that it turns out to be someone who is already predisposed to not like this kind of music or is some kind of elitist with a bug up their butt or something...but that's the way it goes. I feel like what we have to do is just spread the love and music as much as we can.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:53 PM Quote
accousticbug wrote:
people should get annoyed with it paul...

because this stuff influences people. it rubs off on those who buy it. theres loads of people that religiously read the nme and may take it word for word.

its just appalling really. totally incensed.

I'm saying don't you get annoyed with it. You know it's nonsense, so don't let it bother you.

And anyone who listens to the NME and thinks Razorlight are any good really needs to stop reading NME and give their ears a good clean!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:16 AM