Travis

Problem Child Pets
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 4:57 PM Quote
I was thinking about posting this but AbPurp inspired me to give one of the many examples of my seemingly bad luck:

My cat Buster. I could write a very long post on his many good points but I thought I would see if anyone else has a pet with such crazy health issues. A list:

1) Broke his sternum (no idea how, probably jumped off a balcony)
2) At least 15 abscesses from fights that needed to be drained and treated with antibiotics
3) Has had a parasite at least 4 times, each time requiring at 2-3 rounds of meds to get rid of it
4) Diabetes. I have to feed him special food and give him insulin twice a day. And frequent visits to the vet to check his glucose level.
5) Bit by a brown recluse spider. His foot swelled up like a cartoon, he almost died, then almost had to have his paw amputated, but his wonderful vet fixed him up. He was there for 16 days.
6) Pancreatitis. (this is a pretty common problem for diabetics- cats and humans) He has had a few really bad episodes that require him to be at the vet on an IV and pain meds.

I wouldn't even want to know how much we've spent. A lot of these problems are from him going outside but we've tried to break him of that but he just poops all over the floor in protest and is so miserable that it's not worth it.

As I said, he really is a lovely cat. Very charming and the most tolerant cat I've ever seen with children. Even the vet has a soft spot for him and has taken him home with her overnight because she wanted to keep a close eye on him.

Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Re: Problem Child Pets
kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 5:30 PM Quote
mine is not the same, but my dog is now 17 years old, he has trouble walking cos of stiffness and has had 2 strokes, so we have regular visits to the vets, but not the expense you talk about, so i sympathise with you, my other pet dog is 15 ½ years old and has had an operation for cancer removal of lump, he is now doing fine,

but we do it cos we love them

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 5:37 PM Quote
Strokes! That's so sad. My dog growing up had bad arthritis at the end so I know about that. Of course the money you spend is worth it. He's always had huge vet bills so we've just accepted it. Now he's 9 so he's getting older but all my cats growing up lived until they were 19 or 20 so that is what I'm expecting. We have two other cats and they go to the vet exactly once a year for their shots and that's it. Thank God!

MemphisQueen
MemphisQueen Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 3:57 AM Quote
this is exactly why I have cat health insurance.....not kidding. :)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 5:11 AM Quote
MemphisQueen wrote:
this is exactly why I have cat health insurance.....not kidding. :)

Once we realized this would be a good idea, he didn't qualify. : (

Travis STAR
Travis STAR Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 9:28 AM Quote
Awwwwwww....

We had to put my 16 yr old cat down yesterday, she'd had a stroke and there was nothing else we could've done :( I'd had her since I was 3. Absoultely gutted...

happydales
happydales Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:01 AM Quote
When my Grandma died in February we inherited her 12 year old dog. She'd had her since a pup as she was brought in to the vets where I was doing my work experience when I was 15! The people who brought her in couldn't afford the treatment to fix her broken leg so didn't want her any more. I went home in tears begging my Mum to let me have her (we already had a house full of pets!). So my Grandma said she would pay for all the treatment and she would have her. YAY! So not only did she pay for the treatment she had to pay for; vaccinations, worming, fleaing, neutering, etc. Then a few weeks after she had her pot off she dislocated her hip!! It cost my Grandma a fair bit in the end, but the love and enjoyment she got from her far out weighed that!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 4:05 PM Quote
Travis STAR wrote:
Awwwwwww....

We had to put my 16 yr old cat down yesterday, she'd had a stroke and there was nothing else we could've done :( I'd had her since I was 3. Absoultely gutted...

I am so sorry. When I was 19 we had to put down our oldest cat. They got him when I was 1 so I had no memory of life without him. I, too, was gutted.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 4:12 PM Quote
Ugh! I've only had my dog 1 year, and I hate to think he will have to go thru any of what you all have gone thru with your pets! aww...it's so sad!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 4:17 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Ugh! I've only had my dog 1 year, and I hate to think he will have to go thru any of what you all have gone thru with your pets! aww...it's so sad!

But it's so worth it for all the love they give you. Just like real, deep relationships with people, there's good and bad. But what's better than people is how much less complicated it all is!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 4:42 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:

But it's so worth it for all the love they give you. Just like real, deep relationships with people, there's good and bad. But what's better than people is how much less complicated it all is!

EDIT: didn't really mean to post this one...sorry!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 4:43 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:

yes, that is sooo true! when i first got him, i said to myself, i'm not gonna be one of those people...and sure enough, i am now! having a pet changes you. man, if this is what i'm like with a pet, i wonder what i'll be like if i have a kid! sheeeesh!!!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 4:59 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
yes, that is sooo true! when i first got him, i said to myself, i'm not gonna be one of those people...and sure enough, i am now! having a pet changes you. man, if this is what i'm like with a pet, i wonder what i'll be like if i have a kid! sheeeesh!!!

You probably will be a big sap like me but with kids once they're not babies you can't spoil them, whereas pets you can spoil their whole lives!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 5:24 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:

You probably will be a big sap like me but with kids once they're not babies you can't spoil them, whereas pets you can spoil their whole lives!

haha! yeah...i will NOT spoil my kids! [i say that now! but i guess we shall see!]
i do spoil my little doggy though!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 5:39 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
haha! yeah...i will NOT spoil my kids! [i say that now! but i guess we shall see!]
i do spoil my little doggy though!

That's why I like having cats so I can spoil them since I can't spoil my kids in good conscience.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:24 AM