Travis

Re: Selfish Jean no.30 on UK singles chart
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:19 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Oh if you're going to start all this again, i'm off. You're so negative.

I think you'll find the word is realist.

What does it take to have a decent debate, eh?

So when did you look into your crystal ball then? None of us know whats going to happen in the future. You can either be positive or negative. I prefer to be positive thanks.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:20 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

So when did you look into your crystal ball then? None of us know whats going to happen in the future. You can either be positive or negative. I prefer to be postive thanks.

As a realist, I don't need one.

Fair enough.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 3:12 PM Quote

Yes, we've all been saying it i know but its obvious. They need to push it. They pushed Closer a lot harder. I never actually said it on here i don't think but i've thought it for a while that My Eyes is THE song. Selfish Jean is great but i think that My Eyes is the song that can put Travis back to the top. Or on their way back to the top. I think they need to make sure they've got a good 6th album, and to release singles off this album upto the release of the 6th. If they want to be successful, they need to put out 8 singles in my opinion with no real gap between them. That's 5 off this album. Maybe a new song as single 6 and then bring out album 6 in early '09. [/quote]

So!

What you are saying is , that as well as continuing to tour. The band should release another 6 singles and another album by early 2009? You do realise these guys have families? Maybe , just maybe they are happy. Is your eternal optimist streak prepared to allow them that? Or is it all about you?

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 3:39 PM Quote
yeeeees. Haven't heard Selfish Jean on Radio, anywhere, for weeks since hearing it on R2, then today I'm sitting in the doctor's waiting room, reading a 4 year old copy of Top Gear, waiting for a rabies injection. And it comes on twice! Couldn't make it up!

I love SJ, have done since about 10 sec into its myspace debut on some rainy Monday morning months ago, but am starting to agree that My Eyes - and maybe even Battleships and Eyes Wide Open, are probably better commercial tunes. So hopefully yeah, they'll really promote the arse off whatever's next.

Got no doubt Travis are well happy, and rightly so. They've done a fantastic comeback job, a great album and they're proper, three dimensional human beings in their mid thirties with families and kids now, which is great. But I still find it quite sad for a band to just slip away from popular consciouness and fade off the scene - always think of OCS who are still out there, making decent records but never getting anywhere near the top 40 and doomed never to QUITE match their 'golden days' again. I think TBWNN proved that Travis are actually better than ever - so it'd just be nice to see a bit of recognition for that. Selfish Jean is what, one of their weakest performing four or five singles in their history. That's just so wrong it's not funny.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 3:43 PM Quote
I think its a poor song.Ive thought so since i first heard it.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 3:56 PM Quote
The charts are so shit now compared to 5-10 years ago that if I was in the band shoes, firstly I'd have 8 legs or 10 when Klaus is in the haus, but secondly I'm really not sure that I'd be at all bothered where the single charts. In fact I'd probably make EP's deliberately so that they wouldn't chart and there wouldn't be this feverish obsession on the message boards over where the song placed, followed by stupid bickering about it.

As long as the band have enough money to live a comfortable life, and let's hope they do, what else really matters? They've done it all. Brit awards, platinum albums, #1 singles/albums, they've ticked all the boxes.

They've certainly got nothing left to prove to anyone.

Look at the diversity of the people who post here, people from all over the world, so many bands would kill for that kind of international fanbase. So they're not the band of the moment, who cares? I saw them twice at Birmingham NIA in this massive aircraft hangar of a venue, and then I saw them at Wulfrun Hall, and Parr Hall, two intimate venues and the atmosphere was dripping from the ceiling.

That's not to say the NIA shows were bad, far from it, and the 1st NIA show was spectacularly put together. But the band seem more at home playing in front of a few hundred who will know every word to every song rather than a few thousand who are there because the NME told them to be.

mormegil241
mormegil241 Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 5:21 PM Quote
Quote:
Look at the diversity of the people who post here, people from all over the world, so many bands would kill for that kind of international fanbase

yeah, i agree. Now, i'm from India and we have so many Travis enthusiasts here. you hang around some social networking sites like Orkut and there's huge Travis Fans communities and almost all are from Asia and Brazil.

It's disappointing that Selfish Jean is at #30 at the charts. It's such a great song. I feel like throwing up at all the hip-hop, rap shit going at top 10.

btw, i'm absolutely not into stuff like astrology. But today, my cousin sister, a Travis maniac like me was saying that Travis clicks 'cause they are all so-called "water" signs. Fran-cancer, Dougie-scorpio, Neil & Andy-Pisces. they've a great chemistry, they be emotional folks, love their fans but are shy themselves.

btw, I'm a Piscean myself. :D

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 9:05 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
The charts are so shit now compared to 5-10 years ago that if I was in the band shoes, firstly I'd have 8 legs or 10 when Klaus is in the haus, but secondly I'm really not sure that I'd be at all bothered where the single charts. In fact I'd probably make EP's deliberately so that they wouldn't chart and there wouldn't be this feverish obsession on the message boards over where the song placed, followed by stupid bickering about it.

As long as the band have enough money to live a comfortable life, and let's hope they do, what else really matters? They've done it all. Brit awards, platinum albums, #1 singles/albums, they've ticked all the boxes.

Look at the diversity of the people who post here, people from all over the world, so many bands would kill for that kind of international fanbase. So they're not the band of the moment, who cares? I saw them twice at Birmingham NIA in this massive aircraft hangar of a venue, and then I saw them at Wulfrun Hall, and Parr Hall, two intimate venues and the atmosphere was dripping from the ceiling.

That's not to say the NIA shows were bad, far from it, and the 1st NIA show was spectacularly put together. But the band seem more at home playing in front of a few hundred who will know every word to every song rather than a few thousand who are there because the NME told them to be.

I agree. Like i've said, the intimate shows seem to be better atmospheres and the band definitely seem to enjoy them more. It's to do with the closeness and "cult" status that i was talking about- i think they know their limit and aren't interested in world domination now- what with more important 'real life' things to be getting on with.

Don't have a clue who said it, but why the hell release singles every so often, when most of the people who buy the singles are more likely to buy the album anyway? And a new album by early 2009? Come on! Not likely

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 9:05 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

I agree. Like i've said, the intimate shows seem to be better atmospheres and the band definitely seem to enjoy them more. It's to do with the closeness and "cult" status that i was talking about- i think they know their limit and aren't interested in world domination now- what with more important 'real life' things to be getting on with.

Don't have a clue who said it, but why the hell release singles every so often, when most of the people who buy the singles are more likely to buy the album anyway? And a new album by early 2009? Come on! Not likely

Fran
Fran Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 1:45 AM Quote
I love you all...all this passion is what it's all about...YOU ROCK... Fran x

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 1:52 AM Quote
Fran wrote:

... and so do you. x

To be honest, Selfish Jean should have got much higher.
Did the bundles count as 3 purchases or just 1? Because if it is just 1 then may I suggest that the marketing department of the record company have "cocked it right up on this one", and in future should revert to good old cd1 and cd2 with 2 b-sides on each. It'll sell more, trust me.

ps - Haven't you got a concert to do tonight? Good to see you here anyways.

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 6:28 AM Quote
Fran wrote:

awww, we love you too!
...maybe too much har har...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 9:13 AM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:

So!

What you are saying is , that as well as continuing to tour. The band should release another 6 singles and another album by early 2009? You do realise these guys have families? Maybe , just maybe they are happy. Is your eternal optimist streak prepared to allow them that? Or is it all about you?

"If they want to be successful", i said. I never said they had to do it. Read what i say next time. Thanks.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 9:19 AM Quote
Fran wrote:

We all love you guys too Fran. We may have different opinions but we all want what's best for you and the band! :)

Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:56 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:

Don't have a clue who said it, but why the hell release singles every so often, when most of the people who buy the singles are more likely to buy the album anyway?

I see your point Paul, consider this though :-

Firstly, only the big fans will go and buy a new album without getting a taster or two of what it's like.

Secondly, historically, releasing singles stimulates album sales.

For instance, someone might have heard Closer and been indifferent towards it, but then heard Selfish Jean a bit later on and really got a buzz from it, enough to make them consider buying the album.

Likewise, someone may hear My Eyes (3rd single AFAIK) and love it, and along with the 1st 2 songs, it might just get them to go and buy the album.

Last but not least, nice one Fran for stopping by and doffing your cap at us all, especially on the other thread and clearing the matter up somewhat. It's always good to get an insight into the nuts and bolts of how things happen. Kudos.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:25 PM