Travis

Selfish Jean no.30 on UK singles chart
caz b
caz b Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 5:48 PM Quote
Thats the first time I've heard it played on Radio 1...

Re: Selfish Jean no.30 on UK singles chart
lozm
lozm Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 6:19 PM Quote
I thought it would be sooo much higher than that!!!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 7:34 PM Quote
Obviously it is disappointing but i don't think it has entered iTunes TOP 100 all week so i'm ok with it. They've not pushed it at all. It will be in the top 20 next week.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 7:35 PM Quote
disappointing yes, surprising hell no.

It did deserve a much higher position, particularly given that Closer was a top ten. But it's that fashion thing again, SJ doesn't come out with the novelty of the new album, and Travis just aren't fashionable anymore.

That said, when Ash's single Polaris went in at #32 my jaw dropped - I did expect SJ to be much, much higher than that.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 7:43 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
disappointing yes, surprising hell no.

It did deserve a much higher position, particularly given that Closer was a top ten. But it's that fashion thing again, SJ doesn't come out with the novelty of the new album, and Travis just aren't fashionable anymore.

That said, when Ash's single Polaris went in at #32 my jaw dropped - I did expect SJ to be much, much higher than that.

I don't think Travis are unfashionable. Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Keane and even Athlete are all very popular. People just need to re-discover Travis. They need to stick to this album because it IS quality. They will succeed if they push it and believe in it. My Eyes, Battleships, Colder. Song by song, Travis will rule again! :)

laticsmon
laticsmon Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 8:23 PM Quote
I've never seen the video on t.v nor heard it on radio once. You've gotta say that the record company have done a very poor job, the single should be in the top 10 at the very least.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 8:25 PM Quote
laticsmon wrote:
I've never seen the video on t.v nor heard it on radio once. You've gotta say that the record company have done a very poor jon, the single should be in the top 10 at the very least.

I agree , when they used the media i.e channel 4 it went on a moon mission

Elaine 2
Elaine 2 Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 8:37 PM Quote
No. 30 is pretty disappointing. Didn't think it would be top 10 but thought it would scrape top 20. In my opinion timing of the release was less than ideal. Bang in the middle of the UK festival season of which Travis are not appearing. Most peeps will be buying music they heard at festivals. I'm sure quite a few festival acts released singles this week as well, although I could be wrong...

Hmmm, a rethink is required by the record company as this one didn't work at all but yet had great potential.

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 9:26 PM Quote
Elaine 2 wrote:
No. 30 is pretty disappointing. Didn't think it would be top 10 but thought it would scrape top 20. In my opinion timing of the release was less than ideal. Bang in the middle of the UK festival season of which Travis are not appearing. Most peeps will be buying music they heard at festivals. I'm sure quite a few festival acts released singles this week as well, although I could be wrong...

Hmmm, a rethink is required by the record company as this one didn't work at all but yet had great potential.

I agree with you there, if you think about when Travis were playing the festivals when The Man Who was out and WDIAROM was out, they shot up the charts 'cos that's what everyone heard at the festivals.
I'm quite disappointed that it only reached No.30.
I still love the lads despite it though!!!!
x x

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 9:40 PM Quote
Not surprised. Poorly marketed. Also if you are going to put out a single during festival time. You really need to be doing festivals.

Elaine 2
Elaine 2 Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 9:50 PM Quote
Definitely a lost opportunity. Although Selfish Jean is not my favourite song on the album, I thought it was the single that would also appeal to the non hardcore Travis fans. After the Beautiful Occupation fiasco you hoped lessons would have been learned but I guess not.

hail_fran
hail_fran Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:00 PM Quote
Elaine 2 wrote:

good point. travis should play more festivals aswell seeing they are one of the best live bands. if they did this then thers no doubt sj and the other singles would be doing/will do better

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:00 PM Quote
Not only that Elaine. They are not even in the country to promote it.Quite honestly it all seems a little stupid to release a single in these circumstances.

P.S

How come i never met you at Barowlands?

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 11:06 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Not surprised. Poorly marketed. Also if you are going to put out a single during festival time. You really need to be doing festivals.

Good point, i agree

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 15 Jul, 2007 11:51 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I don't think Travis are unfashionable. Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Keane and even Athlete are all very popular. People just need to re-discover Travis. They need to stick to this album because it IS quality. They will succeed if they push it and believe in it. My Eyes, Battleships, Colder. Song by song, Travis will rule again! :)

yep, I agree with that. I'm just pretty down at the moment because two of my fave bands have really struggled to make an impact in the charts and every radio station I switch to in the car, I'm hearing Rihanna, Beyonce, rappers.....agh!!

Gotta agree with the marketing thing - someone needs to be shot over the lack of it! This was such a strong single, IMO far stronger than Closer - and it was released at a strange time, when Travis weren't doing the festivals as already said, with little or no airplay or promotion. It's like it was doomed not to make any impact, and I really think this could have been THE song to put Travis back on the map. From the first time I heard it on myspace I had it down as a major hit, so #30 is a bit gutting.

Hopefully this could be a wake up call for whoever's being paid NOT to promote it. Assuming My Eyes is next, they're really gonna have to go to town on promoting the thing or they might as well give up.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:50 AM