Travis

I Miss Travis [Post a Favorite Memory]
Melinda
Melinda Posted Tue 15 Sep, 2015 3:16 AM Quote
Yikes, I miss my favorite band.

I am thinking back to the first time I met the band, it was in October of 2001, just a few weeks after 9/11. They played a wonderful and emotional show at Radio City Music Hall.

After the show, I was standing outside of the venue and the band came out. I'd never waited around to meet a band before, so this was new.

When I got a chance to talk to Fran, I told him that I loved his songs. He said, "They're your songs now."

In that one moment, they became my favorite band, and 14 years later, they still are.

I can't wait for album 8!

Re: I Miss Travis [Post a Favorite Memory]
Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Wed 16 Sep, 2015 11:23 AM Quote
Great story Melinda! Interesting what Fran said, about the song being ours. I love the fact that some songs really speak to people who didn't write them. It's not just in the lyrics, even the music. I sometimes get really connected to some Travis songs. It's truely unique and it's part of what makes that band so special to me. I also got the chance to meet Fran (at one of his solo shows), sadly haven't met the band. Maybe show #5 will finally be my chance. Also, I can't wait for the record. I wish it would be released in the fall but it seems unlikely at this point.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Wed 16 Sep, 2015 5:06 PM Quote
Hello,

I feel exactly the same and I relate to both your posts and what you've expressed. Yes, it is really incredible, in fact I sometimes think it is unreal, that some of Travis songs so so much speak to my mind, my soul perhaps, and definitely talk to me and my life. It is even more incredible that we share this around the world with people we haven't met and that YES Fran is right, their songs are yours, and they are mine also. But it is also a question on "ensemble", of the identity, energy, the character the band appers to have, the personalities of each of the band members, the atmosphere and message/story in the songs, the albums, the tunes, the poetry, the words that Fran sings, his voice, his very delightful, emotional, thoughtful, present and powerful singing. This afternoon I thought something for the first time ever, after all these years of listening to Travis, many years not listening to anything, so many other years going back home and listening to them again, this afternoon for the first time I wondered : did Fran ever sing in any other foreign language than French (Last laugh)? Because this moment when he sings in French sounds so angelic it is out of time.

Well, all for now dear boardies. Hope life is gentle enough with you all. Lots of hugs your way, old boardies who I miss (AH Gladders, miss you mate!), and new one who I might meet one day if I keep on coming out from my retreat.

But, may I also send all my very best wishes of health and lots of artistic love to you all Neil, Dougie, Andy and Fran. If you wonder, you guys are pretty special.

fenririel
fenririel Posted Wed 16 Sep, 2015 5:17 PM Quote
That's nice, and so true: their songs are ours from the moment they spoke to us.

It's a lovely memory Melinda, thanks.

A favorite memory... October 2013, Teatro Diana. They came onto the stage, four silhouettes in the dark. The crowd began to cheer, yet I was mesmerized. Four beats from Neil's sticks, and then guitar strings. A light shining softly on Fran. "Mother take that ride..." He was smiling. People was mesmerized too. And suddenly, the music blasts, colorful yellow and green lights all over the air. I went crazy. That song, that moment. That was Travis 4 and a half years after the last time I had seen them in March 2009.

That was pure joy.

I wish they release the first single before the end of this month.

babbelerik
babbelerik Posted Sat 19 Sep, 2015 8:55 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
Hello,

I feel exactly the same and I relate to both your posts and what you've expressed. Yes, it is really incredible, in fact I sometimes think it is unreal, that some of Travis songs so so much speak to my mind, my soul perhaps, and definitely talk to me and my life. It is even more incredible that we share this around the world with people we haven't met and that YES Fran is right, their songs are yours, and they are mine also. But it is also a question on "ensemble", of the identity, energy, the character the band appers to have, the personalities of each of the band members, the atmosphere and message/story in the songs, the albums, the tunes, the poetry, the words that Fran sings, his voice, his very delightful, emotional, thoughtful, present and powerful singing. This afternoon I thought something for the first time ever, after all these years of listening to Travis, many years not listening to anything, so many other years going back home and listening to them again, this afternoon for the first time I wondered : did Fran ever sing in any other foreign language than French (Last laugh)? Because this moment when he sings in French sounds so angelic it is out of time.

Well, all for now dear boardies. Hope life is gentle enough with you all. Lots of hugs your way, old boardies who I miss (AH Gladders, miss you mate!), and new one who I might meet one day if I keep on coming out from my retreat.

But, may I also send all my very best wishes of health and lots of artistic love to you all Neil, Dougie, Andy and Fran. If you wonder, you guys are pretty special.

Doesn't he sing some Japanese in "Reason" ?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 20 Sep, 2015 11:07 PM Quote
These are all so lovely. <3

I have so very many. Some are personal, how songs touched me or helped me through a rough spot.

Then there's this board. It's hard to express how much it has changed my life. Friends, trips, foreign cookies, new band recommendations, laundry removal tips.....

For sure one of the top memories is meeting up with boardies in Chicago. That weekend was so, so, so wonderful. The culmination obviously was when Sandy's then boyfriend secretly flew there and suddenly was onstage proposing to Sandy. All of our minds and hearts were exploding.

A small detail from that weekend that has become somewhat of a talisman for me is a kazoo. We brought kazoos to the show and played them at a certain point. They were super cheap and mine broke probably a month after that. But I have kept it in my purse ever since. I get a new purse and kazoo goes right into it. Maybe talisman isn't right because I don't think it's bringing me luck. But it makes me feel happy when I see it. And that friends that are far away aren't really so far away.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:30 PM