Travis

Re: WHERE WE STAND ALBUM TALK (The board is back working!!!!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 25 Aug, 2013 1:32 AM Quote
I love the new album! It's hard to pick a favorite because I have like...7 favorites! There's really only one big clunker for me, but it's one that everyone else seems to love, so maybe it's just me.

My favorites (in album order)
Mother
Moving
Reminder
Where You Stand
Warning Sign
A Different Room
On My Wall

I see a lot of people are not crazy about "On My Wall" and I love it! It reminds me a bit of The Byrds "All I Really Want To Do." I love the jangle. It's groovy.

And this is nerdy of me, but I love that they include whistling and hand claps in their music. It's so musically basic. I love it!

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Sun 25 Aug, 2013 4:58 AM Quote
Really looking forward to the new album.......but disappointed that you guys have gone down the 'deluxe' route!
These deluxe versions really annoy me - just put the music out - one cd with all the tracks.
None of this deluxe rubbish.

Shinichi
Shinichi Posted Sun 25 Aug, 2013 9:26 AM Quote
Now I wonder if there are B-sides that will soon follow.I think the bonus tracks are still not enough for my craving of new Travis songs.Maybe Berlin bilingual? And then another new song....Ode To J Smith has 5 bonus tracks making it 16 songs so I think we still need two new songs even though it's bsides :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 25 Aug, 2013 12:46 PM Quote
I'm really enjoying the new album! Here are my standouts:

Warning Sign
A Different Room
Reminder
New Shoes
Moving
Mother

Well done, boys! Can't wait to hear them live!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 25 Aug, 2013 12:46 PM Quote
My very first thoughts:

I love: Mother, Warning Sign, Where You Stand
I like: Moving, Reminder, A Different Room, On My Wall, Boxes,
Not sure about: New Shoes, The Big Screen
I don't like: Another Guy

That's what I feel right now, I have to listen to it some more Before I make a rating.

Beat Poet
Beat Poet Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 12:21 AM Quote
It sounds like a bunch of 40 year olds getting back together after a long break, with no real goal other than to write an album, so it doesn't sound like a reaction to OTJS or anything like that. I love Moving and Where You Stand, but the rest sounds bland and uninspired. Some of the songs sound like a throwback to a couple of the TBWNN b-sides (which were way better). It's a shame after such a long wait, but I didn't expect anything close to their best work. Fran's solo album has given me hope for him as a writer though...it would've been a great Travis album.

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 7:55 PM Quote
The album is definitely growing on me after my initial (slight) disappointment. Boxes is a stand out track for me - there's a real sense of lost youth about it and it's something that would probably be top 10 singles material in the hands of a younger band. The only one I don't like is Warning Sign - Fran's backing vocal sounds stretched and aside from the 'Whoaaa' bits I think it's a bit mundane - sorry!!

Shinichi
Shinichi Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 9:36 PM Quote
Beat Poet wrote:
It sounds like a bunch of 40 year olds getting back together after a long break, with no real goal other than to write an album, so it doesn't sound like a reaction to OTJS or anything like that. I love Moving and Where You Stand, but the rest sounds bland and uninspired. Some of the songs sound like a throwback to a couple of the TBWNN b-sides (which were way better). It's a shame after such a long wait, but I didn't expect anything close to their best work. Fran's solo album has given me hope for him as a writer though...it would've been a great Travis album.

I think this album is Travis trying to be a less indie and a little bit mainstream.Where You Stand is the proof of that when I first heard the song I thought it was too poppy but still the melodies and the bridge are great but Fran's vocals here are a little soft but I still love it.I wanna hear a Travis version of "ANYTHING" because it reminded me of Why does it always rain on me maybe because of the violin.

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Wed 28 Aug, 2013 12:20 AM Quote
Although I was not a big fan to begin with, I have to say The Big Screen grew on me a lot past few days. It's a great track!

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Thu 29 Aug, 2013 10:54 PM Quote
The whole album has massively grown on me - it may be in third place behind 12 Memories and Ode

invisibleman18
invisibleman18 Posted Wed 11 Sep, 2013 1:36 AM Quote
Finally managed to get hold of the deluxe version in New Zealand and had a few listens. Really like the album. Can't decide where it comes compared to the previous albums yet, will need some more time and many more listens to fully evaluate. I guess that probably means it's not at the top but I don't think it's at the bottom either.

For me the standouts are easily Where You Stand and Moving so they were the right chioices for the first two singles.

Others I love: Warning Sign, A Different Room, On My Wall

Growing on me: Reminder, Another Guy, Boxes

Still not sure about: Mother, New Shoes, The Big Screen

Bellringer
Bellringer Posted Tue 17 Sep, 2013 8:48 AM Quote
A Different Room is amazing

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 17 Sep, 2013 9:23 AM Quote
I agree. A Different Room is excellent :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 17 Sep, 2013 2:01 PM Quote
A Different Room might be my favourite on the album. I love it :)

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] All Times BST Current Time 10:05 PM