Travis

Re: Breakfast
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 3:56 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

Interesting article :-)

Breakfast in Vietnam – usually consists of some meaty treat dropped in a semolina/porridge mixture. What you see above is pork porridge. It features Chinese doughnuts, beansprouts, pork intestine stuffed with peppery pork mince, sliced pork heart, stomach slivers and blood pudding.

Ewww!!

Ohh. Yeah, we don't all eat that! My mom makes a lot of traditional foods still, but I think she knew better than to make that for us! And, I think in Vietnam, really only the wealthier people could afford all of that. Otherwise, the porridge is just made with chicken meat. I have no idea what the Chinese doughnuts are.

I do prefer bacon & eggs with toast though ;)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 4:07 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Heinz Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce, seemingly the Brits and the Irish eat more of these than any other nation.

Dubz

So, are baked beans seen as primarily a breakfast food? Or do you eat them other times as well? Here, baked beans are often served as a picnic or backyard barbecue or "watchin' the game" sort of food. Hot dogs and baked beans.

Also, I don't think I've heard of them ever being in tomato sauce. It's more of a brown sugar glaze.

Who knew breakfast could be such an interesting topic?

Much the same I would imagine, Baked Beans are a "filler" and pretty much go with anything... Fish Fingers, Chips & Beans. Crispy Pancakes, Chips & Beans. Sausage, Mashed Potato & Beans. Beans on Toast. Cheesy Beanos (grilled cheese with baked beans).

http://onestopfoodandwineblog.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/baked-beans.jpg

http://www.countryparkfoods.co.uk/images/product_packs/sausage_chips_beans.jpghttp://www.stockpodium.com/stock-photo-8604249/sausage-mash-baked-beans-image.jpg
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/856/856,1249940906,9/stock-photo-fish-fingers-with-chips-and-baked-beans-35060980.jpg

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 4:16 PM Quote
We eat beans with breakfast or with dinner here. Canada really is a mash up of UK and US culture, isnt it?

Actually, we also eat it with lunch, as in my beans on toast yesterday.

Tea is a weird one. I traditionally think of it as an old lady drink, or a tea and scones kinda thing. But my dad has always been a tea drinker (and coffee as well) and that never seemed odd to me. He always asks for "hot tea" as if he thinks someone is going to give him iced tea instead. That doesnt happen. Also, iced tea in Canada is different than in the states. I think it is what you would call Sweet Tea? Iced Tea is (almost) always sweetened here. It isnt just...cold tea.

BREAKFAST! If anyone cares, I had Fibre One with a banana and almond milk this morning. And mucho coffee. I'm an 80 year old.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 4:47 PM Quote
Ice tea is usually sweet tea here, too. I couldn't drink unsweetened tea.

My grandma told me about how she used to get up before daylight and cook a big, hearty breakfast for my grandpa every morning. But that was because he worked in the coal mines. It was hard work and the men had to eat a big meal in the morning so they'd have energy to do what they had to do. Otherwise they'd be starving by lunch.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 5:33 PM Quote
What? No müsli? But... that's impossible. Müsli (with an ü!) is basically the mother of all cereals!

Oh and about that "German" breakfast - a typical German breakfast looks way more like the "Danish" breakfast on that page. Or maybe they just forgot to put everything in the picture. Like marmalades/jams (!!) and müsli/cereal. And when there is a kid (or a person with a kid-like taste, like me) there's GOT to be nutella! And where's the soft-boiled egg? And the fruit-yoghurts?
Oh and, in the South, a typical selection of "bread" would look like this:
http://www.pedro-laeuft.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/gebaeck-semmel-brotkorb-food-stillife_pfluegl.jpg or http://bissness.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/hofpfisterei-de.png

And we do use plates.

The typical "Bavarian" breakfast (or 2nd breakfast, or breakfast-for-adventurous-guests) looks like this, btw:

http://www.schoeneswochenende.at/_images/gruppenreisen/ingolstadt_munich/weisswurstfruehstueck.jpg

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 5:46 PM Quote
I'm blowing my own trumpet but I cook a mean breakfast for others...

Depending on the occassion it may contain...

Buck Fizz (btw two wee hints, 1.It's the quality of the Orange Juice not the Champagne & 2. a shot of Triple Sec, such as Cointreau, gives a nice little kick)
French Toast - use Worcester sauce in the egg mix and serve with Brown or HP Sauce, Crispy Bacon and Honey.
Mushrooms (flats), add butter inside then fry the tops and then a sprinkling of cheese and bang them under the grill for a minute.
A Fry Up - Superquinn Sausages, Hickory Bacon, Large Fried Eggs with soft yolks, Black and White Puddings, Button Mushrooms sliced, Beans and uncooked quartered or van-dyked Tomatoes.
Omlette - You can do this one of two ways, add absolutely everything, Cheese, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Diced Bacon, Etc., etc. or sometimes less is more just a tiny bit of cheese and one other ingredient if you must and serve on toast.

Dubz

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:09 PM Quote
I never did understand why they call that French toast?! I love it but the French don't have a clue as to what it is and it's really hard to find HP sauce here.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:32 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Why do restaurants try to give me unsweetened tea, then? I've had it happen at US chain places. Like...Applebys.

Dubz, in NA, a Buck Fizz is a mimosa. We had them on the street for the Royal Wedding, and our neighbour friend (whose name I can't remember) who we shared our food and drinks with was very confused when we offered him and his wife a mimosa. It is a much prettier name than Buck Fizz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:36 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
I never did understand why they call that French toast?! I love it but the French don't have a clue as to what it is and it's really hard to find HP sauce here.

There are a few things like that are there not, en-suite I believe is an English term that the French don't use. Also I believe Creme Anglaise is a posh term used in poncy london restaurants to describe Custard but again it's not used in France...

HP Sauce can be difficult to find in Dublin too.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:39 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Why do restaurants try to give me unsweetened tea, then? I've had it happen at US chain places. Like...Applebys.

Dubz, in NA, a Buck Fizz is a mimosa. We had them on the street for the Royal Wedding, and our neighbour friend (whose name I can't remember) who we shared our food and drinks with was very confused when we offered him and his wife a mimosa. It is a much prettier name than Buck Fizz

No arguements from me on that one, Mimosa is a far better name.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:43 PM Quote
Just checked and apparantly the difference is that a Mimosa is made with a 1:1 ratio (equal measures) and a Fizz is made with a 2:1 ratio (2parts juice to 1part champagne). Does that mean you guys across the pond are a bit more "lush" than us. hehe

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:43 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I've never ordered it in a restaurant. Regular people at home usually make sweet tea. Maybe restaurants just want to give people the option to add their own sugar?

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 8:00 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
HP Sauce can be difficult to find in Dublin too.

I haven't liked HP since they changed the receipe.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 8:08 PM Quote
deebee wrote:

Like English muffins. They aren't English. They aren't really muffins, either.

mili
mili Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 10:13 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I've never ordered it in a restaurant. Regular people at home usually make sweet tea. Maybe restaurants just want to give people the option to add their own sugar?

I drink my tea hot and neat, no sugar and no milk. In England you have to be very quick to stop anyone pouring the milk ready in. I've never heard of ready sweetened hot tea.
Iced tea is nice in hot weather, but it's a different cup of tea. My home made iced tea has plenty of sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:16 AM