Travis

Breakfast
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 23 Oct, 2011 8:24 PM Quote
World's Best Breakfasts

Don't click if you're hungry. I have 2 issues: typical Polish breakfast looks nothing like this. Jajecznica: yes but I've never heard of anyone eating it with kielbasa (eww). Also, potato pancakes are super popular but for dinner!

KLM, is this what pierogi look like in Canada? Does your typical breakfast really consist of Polish food? If so, why? And why would you eat a dinner dish for breakfast?! Silly Canadians.

Re: Breakfast
mili
mili Posted Sun 23 Oct, 2011 10:14 PM Quote
The perfect Finnish breakfast in a hotel would consist of oatmeal porridge (with traditionally butter, but alternatively apple jam), rye bread, boiled egg, cheese, ham etc, orange juice, coffee or tea. This morning we had cereal (müsli), rolls, cheese, honey, boiled egg and tea. The "farm yard" a.k.a. English breakfast is only for very special occations.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 23 Oct, 2011 10:26 PM Quote
Traditional Irish breakfast is (and I'm not joking) Guinness and a Sausage according to James Joyce.

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 23 Oct, 2011 11:05 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
World's Best Breakfasts

Don't click if you're hungry. I have 2 issues: typical Polish breakfast looks nothing like this. Jajecznica: yes but I've never heard of anyone eating it with kielbasa (eww). Also, potato pancakes are super popular but for dinner!

KLM, is this what pierogi look like in Canada? Does your typical breakfast really consist of Polish food? If so, why? And why would you eat a dinner dish for breakfast?! Silly Canadians.

Not only have I never heard of anyone eating perogies for breakfast, those don't look anything like perogies Ive ever seen. Fail! The rest of the plate seems to be sausage, hashbrowns and toast, which would be fine breakfast choices,if they didn't look like they were made in some back alley diner. Every other country it looks like it is from a nice place, this looks like your great uncle larry, who is missing an eye made it.

The only dinner you should eat for breakfast is cold pizza. Breakfast for dinner, on the other hand, is the best!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 23 Oct, 2011 11:25 PM Quote
"The famous American breakfast – home made thick pancakes with syrup and blueberries, topped off with a few rashers of bacon. Anyone not wishing for a coronary usually opts for a bowl of muesli, so I’m told. Pancakes all the way for me!"

What the heck is a rasher? STRIP of bacon.
I had to look up muesli. I've never seen anyone eat that.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 12:36 AM Quote
I've used both rasher and strip, but strip is the much more common used phrase. Is rasher British?

hippies eat muesli.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 12:50 AM Quote
Wait, muesli isn't popular in NA? What do you have your milk with then??

Lots of these breakfasts look amazing! Seems I've been having a Brazilian type for the most of my life, btw.

PS Phew, Kristy! Was worried for a moment.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 2:08 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Wait, muesli isn't popular in NA? What do you have your milk with then??

PS Phew, Kristy! Was worried for a moment.

Other boxed cereals or granola are more popular than muesli.
Don't worry, Poland. I've got your back.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 2:56 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:

The only dinner you should eat for breakfast is cold pizza. Breakfast for dinner, on the other hand, is the best!

Yes to both of those!

The only things I eat for breakfast are cereal or yogurt with a granola bar. I'll have eggs on special occasions.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 9:50 AM Quote
Usually I get to work around 7:45 when I'll have 4 Weetabix and a cup of Tea, if I'm still peckish a couple of slices of Toast and then maybe a few Mini Pastries, Then at 11:00 I have Scrambled Egg, Beans, Sausage and a Fried Tomato, sometimes with a couple of slices of Toast and always with a cup of Tea.

Dubz

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 9:52 AM Quote
Nothing beats a croissant still warm from the bakery or even a pain au chocolat if you're wanting to push the boat out.
I still hanker for a good English breakfast though - no decent sausages or RASHERS of bacon to be found in France!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 2:55 PM Quote
When people are eating beans for breakfast with their eggs and toast, what kind of beans? We don't do that here.

I was just thinking, you don't see many men in the US drinking hot tea. I think it's seen as kind of feminine. Men will drink ice tea, but I don't really see any guys drinking hot tea.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 3:18 PM Quote
Heinz Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce, seemingly the Brits and the Irish eat more of these than any other nation.

Tea was always the working class drink when I grew up, anyone above would drink Coffee, the theory I have on men drinking tea comes from the climate, working on building sitesa huge mug of tea with you're breakfast can heat you up in a way coffee just doesn't manage, I think you can also "drink" Tea whereas Coffee needs to be sipped. There is seriously nothing better in this world than that a scaulding hot cup of tea in a big enamel mug, even keeps yer hands warm.

Dubz

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 3:42 PM Quote

Interesting article :-)

Breakfast in Vietnam – usually consists of some meaty treat dropped in a semolina/porridge mixture. What you see above is pork porridge. It features Chinese doughnuts, beansprouts, pork intestine stuffed with peppery pork mince, sliced pork heart, stomach slivers and blood pudding.

Ewww!!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 24 Oct, 2011 3:50 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Heinz Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce, seemingly the Brits and the Irish eat more of these than any other nation.

Dubz

So, are baked beans seen as primarily a breakfast food? Or do you eat them other times as well? Here, baked beans are often served as a picnic or backyard barbecue or "watchin' the game" sort of food. Hot dogs and baked beans.

Also, I don't think I've heard of them ever being in tomato sauce. It's more of a brown sugar glaze.

Who knew breakfast could be such an interesting topic?

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:07 AM