Travis

Remakes... Covers... etc...
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:36 PM Quote

The Killing starts on Channel 4 over here on the 7th July, I'm very apprehensive about this, I watched the Danish/Finish original "Forbrydelsen" 20 x 1 hour episodes shown on BBC4. I notice even from the trailer it's been relocated to Vancover and the names have been changed (I presume to relate to a more Americanised/Anglized audience). Now the reviews on the interweb all seem pretty favourable but I just don't see the need to remake stuff like this.

For instance they are showing Nikita on Sky Living at the moment and it is utter shite, seriously go and watch Luc Besson's La Femme Nikita and then tell me that any of the plot/characters/story has remained faithful to the original the only thing that I can spot is the assassin is female. The original French movie is dark, gritty and moody and in places darkly comic but at the same time it's stylish. Whereas the shite on Sky Living is polished, moralistic, preaching fucking bullshit.

Should film stick to the original, as most of you will know I'm not a great fan of cover versions without the artist putting their own spin on it, To me a straight cover is just karaoke. I'm trying to think of films that have been remade where the original is worse than the remake but the only things I can come up with are films that weren't great in the first place, LA Takedown & Manhunter for example, even though they have cult status they weren't great films and the remakes Heat & Red Dragon while good aren't exactly classics.

Do Film and Music differ in this respect, what's good for the Goose isn't nessecerilly good for the Gander ?? Or perhaps it's that the film industry tends to be less subtle in it's commercialization of a remake ??

Dubz

Re: Remakes... Covers... etc...
Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:07 PM Quote
Was talking about The Killing in work today with my colleague who fully recommends it?! :-/ Not my cup of tea TBH.

I'm not too up on my original and remake films etc. However I am curious as to the "Hollywood" version of Girl wit the Dragon Tattoo. I love the original with subtitles....Hollywood will make it glitzy or over the top with special effects of something :-/ this is wrong. Oh and it will probably be filmed in America or Canada or something silly.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 28 Jun, 2011 4:03 PM Quote
Wages of fear was revamped and remade into Sorcerer

wages of fear

both good sorcerer

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Wed 29 Jun, 2011 4:30 AM Quote
Its not so much the remakes or cover that I don't like, but when studio release a dvd, and then a couple months later release extended edition dvds, and then the next year release unedited/extra footage dvds. They should stop being greedy bastards and just release all the footage on the first dvd and stop ripping people off. I guess you could also blame the idiots who buy 3 versions of the same thing.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 29 Jun, 2011 6:16 AM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
Its not so much the remakes or cover that I don't like, but when studio release a dvd, and then a couple months later release extended edition dvds, and then the next year release unedited/extra footage dvds. They should stop being greedy bastards and just release all the footage on the first dvd and stop ripping people off. I guess you could also blame the idiots who buy 3 versions of the same thing.

Generally DVD extras wore off very quickly on me, I'm not really that interested in what are basically promotional stuff like interviews and trailers. I feel like a lot of it is just "padding" to give the feel of value for money.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 04 Jul, 2011 7:47 PM Quote
Another thing... Spin Offs,

Just watched Criminal Minds - Suspect Behaviour.

Excellent actors, badly cast. Writing/script is poor, too heavy on the "ethical" high ground. Character development non-existant, doesn't flow. Nothing remotely new or interesting, All in all a piss poor imitation of a mediocre original.

... other than that it was quite good.

Dubz

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:31 AM