Travis

Osama Bin Laden is Dead
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 8:26 AM Quote
Killed by American troops.

Not sure how I feel about this, He's resposible for thousands of deaths so an eye for an eye ?!? but an eye for an eye leaves the world blind. If anyone deserves death then he's probably at the top of the list.

I'm quite disgusted that people are partying in the streets. The guy is dead, any death should not be celebrated. If you are dancing in the street over the death of someone what does that say about you as a human being ??

Dubz

Re: Osama Bin Laden is Dead
Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 10:11 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I'm quite disgusted that people are partying in the streets. The guy is dead, any death should not be celebrated. If you are dancing in the street over the death of someone what does that say about you as a human being ??

I think we can be sure that this man celebrated all those deaths he was responsible for as well. He does not deserve any kind of respect.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 10:19 AM Quote
Sarah- wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I think we can be sure that this man celebrated all those deaths he was responsible for as well. He does not deserve any kind of respect.

So because "He started it" it's ok for people to celebrate his death, two wrongs do not make a right ?

I just feel that rather than lowering ourselves to his level we should be taking a more progressive approach instead of dancing in the street singing "The witch is dead"

Dubz

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 10:22 AM Quote
I disagree, because the world hasn't "lost" anything. We should all be grateful that he is gone. I don't think that people are lowering themselves to his level by celebrating, not at all. This man was responsible for thousands of deaths, and the people he killed were innocent.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 10:51 AM Quote
Sarah- wrote:
I disagree, because the world hasn't "lost" anything. We should all be grateful that he is gone. I don't think that people are lowering themselves to his level by celebrating, not at all. This man was responsible for thousands of deaths, and the people he killed were innocent.

I agree to an extent, he was a monster, but that doesn't mean we should be celebrating the fact that we killed the monster, especially considering who created the monster in the first place.

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 3:58 PM Quote
I agree with Dubz...
celebrating ANY death feels just plain wrong to me.

But apart from the celebration aspect: do you really believe they killed Bin Laden all of a sudden? Somehow, I don't... I think he's been dead for a LONG time (he was very sick after all) and they either killed another look-alike or chose this moment to announce the death because it was...convenient...

And another thing: if people celebrate so much and this whole death is greeted with so much happiness - doesn't that put the whole western world in danger of a revenge act?

I don't know...

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 4:31 PM Quote
The celebrating in the streets thing makes me sick too. And I say that as an American. I mean, I'm (for lack of a better word) glad or relieved they got him, but to celebrate it is tacky. For me, it just makes me remember those who lost their lives and their families. I'm sure this gives them a little bit of closure.

It does make me wonder what is to come. I'm a little scared to find out.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 5:12 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
The celebrating in the streets thing makes me sick too. And I say that as an American. I mean, I'm (for lack of a better word) glad or relieved they got him, but to celebrate it is tacky. For me, it just makes me remember those who lost their lives and their families. I'm sure this gives them a little bit of closure.

It does make me wonder what is to come. I'm a little scared to find out.

Yeah, I'm a bit sickened by all of the celebrating. I agree in that he was a monster and got what was coming to him, and I don't have any sympathy whatsoever for him, but still. I honestly think it doesn't make a lick of difference that he is dead. His group will carry on just as they have been. If anything changes, it will be retaliation I think. I do hope it does give closure to those in need of it. I find it absurd though, the posts I am seeing on facebook that say "Yay, it's over, we did it!" I mean really?

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 5:33 PM Quote
Oh, I totally agree, Meridith. I don't understand how people can think this changes everything and that it's all over.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 6:35 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Oh, I totally agree, Meridith. I don't understand how people can think this changes everything and that it's all over.

that's what I don't get either. the whole horrible terror-machinery of al-Quaeda won't be affected by the death of one (symbolic) leader, surely. Just last week, 3 terror-suspects (apparently trained by al-Quaeda) were arrested in Germany. I don't want to think about how many more might be out there...

BTW, it's good to hear a different American perspective on the situation. Over here we only got glimpses of the celebrations on the news. It's one thing to be glad he's dead (I'm glad, too) but celebrating it on the streets? Maybe it does give people who lost loved ones in a terror attack some kind of closure. And I don't want to judge them for celebrating, but it just feels weird to me... and I'm scared of what's to come, too.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 02 May, 2011 11:09 PM Quote
There was a brit politician whom I never usually agree with summed it up for me...

..."Today is a day for those who died in the attrocities to be remembered"

I think that contemplation and rememberence is a good idea, people who have lost family members now, finally, have a bit of "closure". They know that his death will not bring their loved ones back, but can feel that a certain amount of justice has been served.

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 03 May, 2011 1:47 AM Quote
By no means are all Americans are dancing in the street. It actually reminds me of some shots the day after 9/11 of some people in the Middle East celebrating. That really was painful to see. Though I understand they have their reasons for hating us. But still, celebrating thousands of innocent people killed?

I hope that the victim's families feel some sort of closure but do I think this ends things? No.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 03 May, 2011 6:31 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
By no means are all Americans are dancing in the street. It actually reminds me of some shots the day after 9/11 of some people in the Middle East celebrating. That really was painful to see. Though I understand they have their reasons for hating us. But still, celebrating thousands of innocent people killed?

I hope that the victim's families feel some sort of closure but do I think this ends things? No.

You are completely correct, I should have quantified that at the beginning, It's the behaviour of "some" not "all", Someone else pointed out to me elsewhere that a lot of the "Dancers" look like college types and that it is Spring Break.

I don't think it's the end of it either OBL may have been Al Queada but Al Queda is not just OBL.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Tue 03 May, 2011 6:58 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

It's what came to my mind, too. So far none of the Americans I know have been dancing in the streets, at least as far as I know. That I'm pleased about.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 03 May, 2011 7:11 AM Quote
that was my first reaction when watching the news yesterday: why are you celebrating a death by dancing in the streets?
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:46 AM