Travis

Rant Thread
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:07 PM Quote
Arghhhhhh, people of Britain! Why do you never EVER call and e-mail back even if you specifically say you will?! If you tell me you will call me tomorrow, I am waiting! If you tell you will let me know if I got the job ON MONDAY then, guess what, I expect you to e-mail me ON MONDAY! If you tell me "I will pass the message, she will call you back", I expect this to happen, lady at the job agency!
Lack of answer is NOT an answer!
Why are you all so nice and well mannered yet you ALWAYS fail to do these things? Someone please explain this to me ohmygodIamannoyed!!!

Re: Rant Thread
minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 04 Apr, 2011 9:11 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Arghhhhhh, people of Britain! Why do you never EVER call and e-mail back even if you specifically say you will?! If you tell me you will call me tomorrow, I am waiting! If you tell you will let me know if I got the job ON MONDAY then, guess what, I expect you to e-mail me ON MONDAY! If you tell me "I will pass the message, she will call you back", I expect this to happen, lady at the job agency!
Lack of answer is NOT an answer!
Why are you all so nice and well mannered yet you ALWAYS fail to do these things? Someone please explain this to me ohmygodIamannoyed!!!

fact.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 05 Apr, 2011 1:20 PM Quote
You know how some guys say "I'll call you" when they have no intention of doing it? I've heard claims that they do this because they think it's nicer and they are letting you down easier by ending the conversation/evening together on a high note.*

Maybe because they are are so well-mannered they have the same problem. They just can't disappoint you.

(to which I say bollocks)

It does seem to be a chronic disease unfairly affecting both of you.

STOP BEING MEAN TO MY FRIENDS LONDON!

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:41 PM Quote
Last week, I got back a formal application* that I'd sent out last (wait for it...) JUNE.
Yes.
JUNE. 2010.
It was for a job at a university (Foreign Exchange Office) and I had already called them like four times to ask what happened with the application and every time they were like, ooh, yes, we know, we're a little late (Feb 2011) but we haven't even started reading all the applications we got, we're just so busy...
err, hello? if you have too much work, here's a little hint: HIRE SOMEONE. Hrmph.

* the kind that I guess is very "German" (??): you have to get your picture taken, buy a "nice" folder, print out your CV and Cover Letter and make really good copies of your highschool diploma, graduation certificate, other certificates (oh Germans LOVE certificates!) and references [yes, written references, and yes, even with Online applications you have to send them out with the cover letter and CV]).
---

Just yesterday I was thinking about bringing back the "Things that you DON'T like thread" or opening a new one because there are just SO MANY THINGS I don't like about applying for jobs...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 05 Apr, 2011 5:40 PM Quote
I'm very surprised that there are still places that want you to send a picture with your application.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 05 Apr, 2011 7:40 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
You know how some guys say "I'll call you" when they have no intention of doing it?

Happens with girls as well.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 12:09 AM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
You know how some guys say "I'll call you" when they have no intention of doing it?

Happens with girls as well.

Funnily enough, I randomly picked a 'Friends' episode today and it happened to be the one in which Chandler keeps promising Rachel's boss to call her after their date with no intention to do so ;).

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 1:02 AM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
Last week, I got back a formal application* that I'd sent out last (wait for it...) JUNE.
Yes.
JUNE. 2010.
It was for a job at a university (Foreign Exchange Office) and I had already called them like four times to ask what happened with the application and every time they were like, ooh, yes, we know, we're a little late (Feb 2011) but we haven't even started reading all the applications we got, we're just so busy...
err, hello? if you have too much work, here's a little hint: HIRE SOMEONE. Hrmph.

That's above ridiculous!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 8:34 AM Quote
that whole german application process would make me never ever ever want to apply for a job.
I dont understand why an employer would want to read all that. Maybe check credentials before you hire someone, but at a certain point other things beyond your highschool diploma are much more important. Especially if you are say...50.
And Lil, thats CRAZY that it took that long.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 10:39 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
that whole german application process would make me never ever ever want to apply for a job.
I dont understand why an employer would want to read all that. Maybe check credentials before you hire someone, but at a certain point other things beyond your highschool diploma are much more important. Especially if you are say...50.
And Lil, thats CRAZY that it took that long.

Yupp. I agree. If I had to write an essay on German stereotypes in real life, I'd pick the application process as an example. It's ridiculous.

I'd prefer the UK or US or whatever way to apply for jobs, our way just doesn't make sense. It's tiring and so much work for both sides. There are very few (startup-)companies that have started to ask for "short applications", meaning you only need to send a letter and your CV. But the majority sticks to their old ways...

There's even a market for application FOLDERS (I'm not joking); they're 5€/piece and they look ridiculously boring. I don't buy them (I buy nice-looking ones with colourful clips, lol), but so many people still do.

And about the photograph thing: our government started this half-hearted initiative where employers agree to provide Online application forms where they don't ask for pictures or any kind of personal information (e.g. info that could give away a person's ethnical background, like names, nationality, etcetera...). I haven't seen a single "anonymised" form so far...

P.S.: Ok, so if you're 50 or have worked for 5 yrs +, I guess you don't need to send your highschool diploma. But still... the German application process IS crazy.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 11:31 AM Quote
my rant today is about flat hunting.

The place that I want (so hard, if you recall) is killing me. One room is available anytime, but the girl in the other room can't decide when she wants to leave. First it was in the next few weeks, now she might want to stay through the summer. Not only is this frustrating to me and my friend looking at the rooms, but also the other people in the flat who can't do anything until she makes up her mind!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 7:57 PM Quote
This thread made me think of this:

Sugarloaf - Don't Call Us

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 08 Apr, 2011 5:42 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

You know how some guys insist on calling you even though you do your best to make it clear (in a nice yet persistant way) that you are SO NOT INTERESTED? Yup.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 08 Apr, 2011 5:45 PM Quote
You gals surely have issues with men.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 08 Apr, 2011 9:53 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
You gals surely have issues with men.

Well, men in our lives have caused these issues.

When walking to the train today, some guy jumped infront of me and yelled "PLASMA!" and wouldnt move. I was like "huh?"
And then another dude refered to my friend and I as "Sugar hearts" or something. We wanted to be offended but the attention was nice.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:29 AM