Travis

Re: 30 Day Song Challenge...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 05 Apr, 2011 2:17 PM Quote
Day 11, a song by your favorite band

I don't know if they exactly qualify as a band, but my favorite is Simon & Garfunkel.
The Sound(s) of Silence For whatever reason, from what I read, early versions say "Sounds" and later was retitled "Sound."

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 6:10 AM Quote
Day 12 (Wednesday 6th April) - a song from a band you hate

Until the End of the World - U2

I'm going to interpret day 12 as: a song (you like) from a band you hate. And I'll have to go with U2 even tho it's not specifically U2 but fucking Bongo that I hate with a passion, playing the holier than thou fucking card all the time. "Just a thousand quid can save a village in Africa", well give it to them you prick you're fucking loaded. It also annoys me more as I've met him and he seems like a decent bloke. I also don't like the fact that he professes to being Irish and for all things that are Irish and plays up the Irisness theme, yet moves his recording studios to the Nederlands to avoid paying Irish tax. fucking prick.

A good man dies and goes to heaven, he's met at the pearly gates by Saint Peter, because he's been such a good man and so devout Peter decides to give him the full guided tour, Along the way they meet everyone... Elvis, Mother Teresa, etc. etc. then they see a man who's white robes seem to glow ethereally he has long flowing hair, a golden halo, an aura and a light that seems to follow him. The good man penitently says to St. Peter "Ahh, can it be? Is that God?". Peter replies "No, It's Bono, he just thinks he's God"

Dubz

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 7:00 AM Quote
Day 11: A song from your favorite band

Plug In Baby - Muse

About a year ago, I was lucky enough to be at the show where this video was recorded.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 11:03 AM Quote
day 12 - a song from a band I hate

Ok, so I don’t even want to name the band I really hate, because their lyrics are horrible (sometimes almost fascist) and I don’t want to promote them. I only know them bc a friend of a former friend of mine was a fan - and they're often mentioned in discussions on (secretly) right-wing bands.

Instead I'll go with a "safe" band I don’t like very much either. It’s a German band called "Die Ärzte" (The Doctors). They’re one of the most popular punk rock bands over here and they’ve been going since the 80’s, so there are like a gazillion Ärzte albums out there. I’ve never been able to explain why I can’t stand them, and I used to be indifferent to them in the 90’s, but then I went to this festival in 2003 and they were one of the headline acts and it was just plain awful. Everyone was singing along, my friends were ecstatic, but I got so freakin’ depressed all of a sudden that I had to go to the back and sit down in the grass. This had never happened to me before at a concert and hasn’t happened again ever since. Funny thing was, several people came to me to ask if I was ok (to them, this was the best performance of the whole festival), one girl offered to buy me a drink to cheer me up (ha ha), a guy sat down next to me and explained why I simply had to get up and be happy now... with hindsight, that evening was hilarious! Back then, I just wanted earplugs.

The singer supports Doctors without Borders, Greenpeace, amnesty international and many others; he’s a teetotaller, he doesn’t even smoke and I think he’s been a vegetarian for a while now... Now, all this is admirable – but I still can’t stand his band!

To make things fair, I’m posting a link to one of their most popular songs. The melody is catchy, the lyrics a bit awful. It got so much radio play (end of the 90’s) and so many people at school would sing it that even I could sing along in the end and I guess I still know parts of the lyrics (well, the only way to not hear the original version of a song while it’s being played is to sing as loud as you can, right? ;) )

Die Ärzte – Männer Sind Schweine (Men are Pigs). Terrible title, but as I said, it’s a very catchy tune ;)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 2:53 PM Quote
The lead singer with the flaming red hair...he's creepy.

Day 11: A song from a band you hate.

I hate Fleetwood Mac for one reason--Stevie Nicks. I find her voice completely irritating. Totally unpleasant. Ick.
Hate this song! Only one worse is Landslide, which I think might have been a solo record, not sure.

Gypsy

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 3:27 PM Quote
Day 11: A song from a band you hate.

Ok, so I already posted a Killers song so don't want to repeat myself. Therefore, I will post a song by the bunch of people who aren't really a band but they are touring so I guess it counts?
Glee version of a Justin Bieber song. I DARE YOU TO CLICK ON IT.

PS. I recently agreed to watch an episode of Glee because my friend has a crush on the dude from the video. I am the best friend EVER.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 3:53 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

Glee version of a Justin Bieber song. I DARE YOU TO CLICK ON IT.

I clicked. Then quickly remembered this was one of the parts I'd skipped when I watched the episode (I'm so frustrated with the whole job search thing by now that I've started to like [LIKE!] shows like Glee. It's completely out of character and I'm going to have to post a Glee song on Day 14, I guess... I fast-forward most of the actual songs, though.)

you could've posted one of their original songs, too, you know ;P

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 4:46 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:

Die Ärzte – Männer Sind Schweine (Men are Pigs). Terrible title, but as I said, it’s a very catchy tune ;)

Dude, wanna hear the Polish version of it?? ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n84McJyTRuw

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 5:38 PM Quote
Fleetwood Mac...The original line-up that played blues were awesome and I must confess that I listen to Rumours from time to time.

Day 11: A song from a band you hate:

This is a Swedish band called "Kent", their sound and lyrics makes people depressed and that's not the effect I want from music.

Watch this video and you'll understand what I mean:

Kent - Max 500

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 5:46 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Fleetwood Mac...The original line-up that played blues were awesome and I must confess that I listen to Rumours from time to time.

This is a Swedish band called "Kent", their sound and lyrics makes people depressed and that's not the effect I want from music.

Kent - Max 500

Really, Harmony (Leila) introduced me to Kent on here, I thought they were not bad at all, quite like Hagnesta Hill(?). Although I much prefer The Knife.

Dubz

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 5:50 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

Kent - Max 500

Really, Harmony (Leila) introduced me to Kent on here, I thought they were not bad at all, quite like Hagnesta Hill(?). Although I much prefer The Knife.

Dubz

I guess it's the lyrics that really bugs me...and maybe the sound of the singer + they are boring as hell.

Edit: I guess they're talented at what they do, but they win awards for best Swedish band every time they release something new and they never show up for the awards or show any signs of gratefulness. They're a lot of Swedish bands that are much better than them so it annoys me that it's always this band that gets all the attention from the music critics.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 5:54 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

Kent - Max 500

Dubz

I guess it's the lyrics that really bugs me...and maybe the sound of the singer + they are boring as hell.

Haha fair enough, see I don't understand Swedish so it doesn't bother me.

Dubz

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 5:56 PM Quote
Can I also add every single song by the Bee Gee's to this list?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 7:31 PM Quote
somehow I had made it this far in my life without seeing that Beiber/Glee video. Like how I had made it to last week without hearing that "Friday" song

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 06 Apr, 2011 7:54 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
somehow I had made it this far in my life without seeing that Beiber/Glee video. Like how I had made it to last week without hearing that "Friday" song

No need to thank me. ;)

Pages Previous 1...5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:39 AM