Travis

30 Day Song Challenge...
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:43 AM Quote
Stole (liberated from the hands of the oppressors) this from Facebook, thought it might be fun to do over here...

I want to know...

day 01 (Saturday 26th March) - your favorite song
day 02 (Sunday 27th March) - your least favorite song
day 03 (Monday 28th March) - a song that makes you happy
day 04 (Tuesday 29th March) - a song that makes you sad
day 05 (Wednesday 30th March) - a song that reminds you of someone
day 06 (Thursday 31st March) - a song that reminds you of somewhere
day 07 (Friday 1st April) - a song that reminds you of a certain event
day 08 (Saturday 2nd April) - a song that you know all the words to
day 09 (Sunday 3rd April) - a song that you can dance to
day 10 (Monday 4th April) - a song that makes you fall asleep
day 11 (Tuesday 5th April) - a song from your favorite band
day 12 (Wednesday 6th April) - a song from a band you hate
day 13 (Thursday 7th April) - a song that is a guilty pleasure
day 14 (Friday 8th April) - a song that no one would expect you to love
day 15 (Saturday 9th April) - a song that describes you
day 16 (Sunday 10th April) - a song that you used to love but now hate
day 17 (Monday 11th April) - a song that you hear often on the radio
day 18 (Tuesday 12th April) - a song that you wish you heard on the radio
day 19 (Wednesday 13th April) - a song from your favorite album
day 20 (Thursday 14th April) - a song that you listen to when you’re angry
day 21 (Friday 15th April) - a song that you listen to when you’re happy
day 22 (Saturday 16th April) - a song that you listen to when you’re sad
day 23 (Sunday 17th April) - a song that you want to play at your wedding
day 24 (Monday 18th April) - a song that you want to play at your funeral
day 25 (Tuesday 19th April) - a song that makes you laugh
day 26 (Wednesday 20th April) - a song that you can play on an instrument
day 27 (Thursday 21st April) - a song that you wish you could play
day 28 (Friday 22nd April) - a song that makes you feel guilty
day 29 (Saturday 23rd April) - a song from your childhood
day 30 (Sunday 24th April) - your favorite song at this time last year.

Each Day will start at midnight on the Board Clock.
You do not have to post everyday,
Post a link if you can,
Try to keep it to songs although Instrumentals may suit certain criteria (Songs for falling asleep etc.)
Try to add a comment about the reason for your choice
I'll try to post a reminder each day of where we are in the list and keep this topic near the top of the board (shouldn't be too difficult as it's dead around here).

Dubz

Any suggestions for rule changes or anything else are welcome

Re: 30 Day Song Challenge...
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:49 AM Quote
Day 01 (Saturday 26th March) - your favorite song

I'll kick off with...

Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil

It's really difficult for me to pick a favourite song, I love so many different songs from different genres, but this is the one that I keep going back to, This Mortal Coil are collaborations by 4ad artists, (Cocteau Twins, The Wolfgang Press, Dead Can Dance, Ivo Watts, Colourbox, etc.) Song to the Siren is actually a cover, the original is by Tim Buckley and while billed as This Mortal Coil on this album it's actually by The Cocteau Twins.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 26 Mar, 2011 2:02 PM Quote
This will be fun!

Day 1, My favorite song

Hard to choose just one, but I'll go with Happy Together by the Turtles. It's fun, it's sweet, it's 60's, it's slow, it's fast. I love, love, love this song!

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Sat 26 Mar, 2011 6:30 PM Quote
Hold on Hope by Guided by Voices

I decided a long time ago that I was just going to pick a song that I really liked at the time and that would forever be the answer to my favorite song. (There's just too many songs to choose from!)

I still really like it, so it works for me. :D

Leia
Leia Posted Sat 26 Mar, 2011 8:18 PM Quote
My all time favourite song

The Beatles - A Day In The Life

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 27 Mar, 2011 12:42 AM Quote
I'm slightly late and it was really hard to choose but I think I will go with Let It Be by The Beatles.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 27 Mar, 2011 8:41 AM Quote
day 02 (Sunday 27th March) - your least favorite song

Dilemma - Nelly ft. Kelly Rowland

I fucking hate this song with an absolute passion, it reminds me of a time in my life I'd rather forget. It also emphasizes everything that is wrong with modern music, It's commercialized bullshit. Rap & Hip Hop was brilliant before shit like this. Public Enemy, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Grandmaster Flash and in the end it turns into this fucking steaming pile of arse gravy.

Dubz

eta: Damn good choices people, nothing I could even remotely criticize.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:30 AM Quote
I'm a bit late as well...

My favourite song of all time is so difficult to say, but I'll just pick one of them:

David Bowie - Moonage Daydream

Very hard to chose my least favourite as well, I would like to say almost everything that's popular right now. Well I'll chose something from a band I just can't stand instead:

Nickelback - How you remind me.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:58 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
This will be fun!

Day 1, My favorite song

Hard to choose just one, but I'll go with Happy Together by the Turtles. It's fun, it's sweet, it's 60's, it's slow, it's fast. I love, love, love this song!

I love this tune, it squeezes everything that's good about pop music into 3 minutes, it's become a cliché in films for the happy segment which just goes to show how good a tune it is.

DAKOTA wrote:
Hold on Hope by Guided by Voices

I decided a long time ago that I was just going to pick a song that I really liked at the time and that would forever be the answer to my favorite song. (There's just too many songs to choose from!)

I still really like it, so it works for me. :D

Everytime I hear this I think of Scrubs (probably not a good thing) but it's one of those tunes that lifts you, I defy anyone not to be moved by this tune, it grabs you. It does give you hope.

Leia wrote:
My all time favourite song

The Beatles - A Day In The Life

Even the mundanity of everyday life can be made beautiful by the Beatles, this is one that reminds me I'm never alone, there are people all over the world experiencing the same emotions. A great, simple tune.

megg_inc wrote:
I'm slightly late and it was really hard to choose but I think I will go with Let It Be by The Beatles.

The 2nd Beatles tune which just goes to show how great they were, Again another tune that I can emphasize with. Sometimes it's tiresome and a waste of energy to fight, sometimes you just gotta let sleeping dogs lie, Let it Be indeed.

TheBoyWithAName wrote:
I'm a bit late as well...
My favourite song of all time is so difficult to say, but I'll just pick one of them:

David Bowie - Moonage Daydream

Surprised at this (not unpleasantly) I love Bowie, I like the fact you've gone for one of the lesser tunes. Personally if I had to pick a favourite Bowie tune I'd go for Life on Mars (obvious), Queen Bitch (Life Aquatic) or Art Decade from Low (instrumental sounds like krautrock or industrial).

That's just my thoughts, thanks guys and keep 'em coming.

Dubz

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 27 Mar, 2011 11:24 AM Quote
Hehe actually I'm a bit surprised with my choice as well, but I've could have chosen anything from "Ziggy" cause I hold that album very high, maybe it's even the greatest album of all time in my meaning, the quality is very high throughout the whole album. Anyway I feel a bit sad for all the other amazing tracks that I didn't chose :P

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 27 Mar, 2011 11:33 AM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Hehe actually I'm a bit surprised with my choice as well, but I've could have chosen anything from "Ziggy" cause I hold that album very high, maybe it's even the greatest album of all time in my meaning, the quality is very high throughout the whole album. Anyway I feel a bit sad for all the other amazing tracks that I didn't chose :P

It's a great album, However I'd have to go with Hunky Dory for me it's a better album with some absolute classics, If I was to go with something less mainstream I'd choose Low, but your choice is good too.

Dubz

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 27 Mar, 2011 11:39 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

It's a great album, However I'd have to go with Hunky Dory for me it's a better album with some absolute classics, If I was to go with something less mainstream I'd choose Low, but your choice is good too.

Dubz

All three albums are great and classics, a must have in every home. Well I'll let you get back to the challenge now, I think this is a great way to get to know music you're not so familiar with. I'm listening to Guided By Voices now for an example.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 27 Mar, 2011 1:35 PM Quote
Day 2: My least favorite song.

I think everybody on this board already knows my least favorite song is "I Shot the Sheriff," by Eric Clapton. Unfortunately there is no studio version on You Tube. The Sheriff must be strict on copy rights. A close second is Low Rider by War.

I don't really have any justification for my hatred of these songs. I just hate them.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 27 Mar, 2011 2:57 PM Quote
Day 2: My least favorite song

Now that's much easier! Human by The Killers.

Now. Obviously there are songs which are worse (anything by Ke$ha for example) BUT I really hate this one because it is so so bad, terrible lyrics and yet it still is miraculously considered to be good or alternative by people who generally have good taste in music which always amuses me. Plus it reminds me of someone who happened to be a terrible jerk.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sun 27 Mar, 2011 4:42 PM Quote
Day 2: My least favourite song.

It's hard to choose (there are SO MANY!), but this is probably one of the worst songs EVER:

Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch

Do I really have to explain why?... the lyrics are beyond juvenile and gross and crude, and yet many people seem to think it's a great sing-along tune. more like a puke-along tune for me. *ewrgh*

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:36 AM