day 28 (Friday 22nd April) - a song that makes you feel guilty

The Ark - The Most Radical Thing To Do

Listen to the lyrics ;)

Re: 30 Day Song Challenge...
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 22 Apr, 2011 2:10 PM Quote
Day 28 (Friday 22nd April) - a song that makes you feel guilty

Sally MacLennane - The Pogues

We were talking about my Grandfather last weekend, I never really knew him as I was too young when he died of cancer probably brought on by drinking and smoking, his name was James, he was told he had until Christmas to live maybe another month if he stopped smoking and drinking, he told them to feck off he was an old man who had lived a full life and those were his last remaining vices, I came home one night as a teenager to find my Dad crying while listening to this he told me that the line that got him was "Some people they are scared to croak but Jimmy drank until he choked and took the road for heaven in the morning". My Dad was a drinker for years and still enjoys a pint but few and far between these days (his type 2 diabetes puts a stop to excesses), I however am a complete and utter boozehound and I do feel guilty at times about my "habit", this tune great that it is sometimes reminds me that we're supposed to break cycles now and again.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 22 Apr, 2011 3:47 PM Quote
Day 28: A song that makes you feel guilty

Hard to Say I'm Sorry

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 22 Apr, 2011 5:34 PM Quote
day 28 (Friday 22nd April) - a song that makes you feel guilty
Ben Folds Five – Magic
A friend* once made a mixtape for me and this song was on it. I loved it (it's so beautiful and sad at the same time), but when I listen to it today, I feel guilty, because I acted like a complete dumbass back then...
(*the same guy was actually the person who introduced me to the music by this certain band we all kinda like)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 23 Apr, 2011 12:04 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Day 24: A song you want played at your funeral

I'll Fly Away

I would also like Dubz to play "Amazing Grace" on the penny whistle if he is available.

Great choice and I'd be absolutely honoured to play at your funeral (though I reckon you'll outlast me) I'd love to play it on the pipes, there was a piper at my grandmother's funeral a few years back, he played outside and at a bit of distance, so that the whole way through the service you could hear the pipes but they weren't intrusive. Bagpipes should never be played indoors, they are too noisy and harsh.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Sat 23 Apr, 2011 8:40 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
. Bagpipes should never be played indoors, they are too noisy and harsh.
Dubz

Ever heard pipes played in a corridor of a block of flats? An old Scottish friend once had a New Year's Eve party here in Helsinki, and his piper friend was there, too. The piper was in full kilt and all (he used to busk in the centre in that outfit). Anyways, come midnight we went outside to see the fireworks, and he started playing on his way out. Wow, that was loud and got some attention… some drunks actually pushed notes to the waistband of his kilt, lol.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 23 Apr, 2011 9:40 AM Quote
day 29 (Saturday 23rd April) - a song from your childhood

Bucket of Water Song - Tiswas

This is perhaps apt that it is Saturday Morning, Tiswas was an anarchic kids show that was on at the weekend, full of custard pies, buckets of water and gunge, it also had great characters, a young Chris Tarrant, The Phantom Flan Flinger, Lenny Henry (as Trevor McDoughnut or David Bellamy), Spit the Dog & Sally James. It really was just mental with sort of no rules. The Dying Fly Dance explained.

We had loads of comedy/novelty records when we were kids but Dad hid them from us to stop us from playing them, Captain Beaky, Greg Lake, etc.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Sat 23 Apr, 2011 3:27 PM Quote
Day 28: A song that makes you feel guilty

(sorry, I just thought of this)

The bit about "I haven't seen my mum for weeks" makes me feel guilty every time.

Elbow: Station Approach

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 23 Apr, 2011 3:30 PM Quote
I knew some kids who had a copy of "They're Coming to Take Me Away" and their dad burned a hole through it to stop them from playing it.

Day 29: A song from your childhood

I couldn't find the song I really wanted to post. It used to be there, but probably some copyright person took it down. But this is nice, too.

Schoolhouse Rock Interjections!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 23 Apr, 2011 5:41 PM Quote
Day 29: A song from your childhood:

Had a few songs to chose from. This wasn't released when I was a kid, but we used to play it in school at the music lessons, it took a while to get the right beat :P

S & G - Cecilia

Still find it catchy =) And I agree with the mighty turtle lady, it's one of the best albums in history.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sat 23 Apr, 2011 6:39 PM Quote
I could post a Beatles or S&G or Donovan song since this was the music my parents used to listen to when I was growing up, but I decided to go with the first English language song I ever learned (parts of) he lyrics to. I was four or five and had no idea what I was singing, but my dad and I used to sing it together all the time back then:

Sonny & Cher - Little Man

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sat 23 Apr, 2011 6:43 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

aaaw, love that song!! also one of the songs my dad used to sing and dance to *lol*

mili
mili Posted Sat 23 Apr, 2011 6:57 PM Quote
Day 29: A song from your childhood:

It was in Finnish, but the same song

Tie a yellow ribbon 'round ol' Oak tree

I remember it being played on the kitchen radio when my mum was cooking dinner and I was playing on the floor, just outside kitchen.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:28 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I knew some kids who had a copy of "They're Coming to Take Me Away" and their dad burned a hole through it to stop them from playing it.

this song ?

?

my pick ,

come staurday morning

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:46 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

this song ?

?

Yes. If I remember correctly the B side was the same song backwards.

Pages Previous 1...12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:45 PM