Travis

American Question
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 02 Jan, 2011 12:46 AM Quote

What is/are Molasses and why would gangsters be running them out of Cuba/Canada ??

Dubz

Re: American Question
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 02 Jan, 2011 1:54 AM Quote
The closest thing you have to molasses is treacle, I guess. But someone who was familiar with both said molasses is not really comparable. Molasses tastes like really rich, thick, liquidy brown sugar. It is way thicker than syrup, thus the phrase, "Slower than molasses in January." I have a delicious molasses cookie recipe that has ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg and it is soooo yummy.
I have no idea why gangsters would be involved.
Even though the name seems plural, molasses is singular.
There is a very informative molasses thread on the board somewhere. I'll search for it.
Here's the molasses discussion. http://www.travisonline.com/board/view.php?t=12923
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=330925287992&id=d9ef792de326cd46616a116cd37e9bda&index=ch1

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 02 Jan, 2011 9:49 AM Quote
Hmmm, I watched Godfather II last night and Hyman Roth mentions to Michael Corleone that he (Hyman Roth) along with Moe Greene used to run Molasses out of Canada in trucks supplied by his father (Vito Corleone {Marlon Brando}) !?!

The only thing I can think of is can it be fermented or distilled to produce something alcoholic, I think the timing of the movies may fit in around Prohibition. Of course this is just a theory...

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 02 Jan, 2011 1:16 PM Quote
Have researched...

Rum is made from Molasses. Therefore Gangsters "Running Molasses" were smuggling in booze or "Rum Running"

Dubz

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 02 Jan, 2011 1:18 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

The only thing I can think of is can it be fermented or distilled to produce something alcoholic, I think the timing of the movies may fit in around Prohibition. Of course this is just a theory...

Dubz

Godfather(s) are set in the '40s and later on so after the Prohibition had ended. Molasses can be used in the production of explosives - that would be my guess.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 02 Jan, 2011 2:33 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

Godfather(s) are set in the '40s and later on so after the Prohibition had ended. Molasses can be used in the production of explosives - that would be my guess.

Yeah but it's Hyman Roth who is a very old man talking to Michael Corleone about how his father helped him way back in the day, Vito arrives in New York around 1909 and murders Don Fanucci around 1920 to become a Don himself.

Dubz

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 02 Jan, 2011 3:02 PM Quote
So I guess you're probably right.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 02 Jan, 2011 3:10 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
So I guess you're probably right.

Thanks, oh by the way I was talking with the Polish guy next door so...

Szczesliwego Nowego Roku Megg !!!

Dubz

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 07 Jan, 2011 1:21 PM Quote
I always wondered what Molasses were because they are used in deep South cooking - things I learn in novels.

Also, part ingredients of HP Sauce!!! I read everything and anything so it would seem.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 07 Jan, 2011 3:03 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
I always wondered what Molasses were because they are used in deep South cooking - things I learn in novels.

Also, part ingredients of HP Sauce!!! I read everything and anything so it would seem.

Just remember to refer to it in the singular. "I wonder what molasses is."

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 07 Jan, 2011 4:38 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Peewee wrote:

Just remember to refer to it in the singular. "I wonder what molasses is."

this brings up an interesting point, and one i think I need info on. I feel like through stuff Ive read and heard, British and NA views on singular and plural are different. For example,
UK: "Travis is a great band." singular, one band
NA: "Travis are a great band." plural, multiple people

Correct me if I am wrong.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 07 Jan, 2011 4:54 PM Quote
I think I only say 'are' if the name is plural

The Beatles are great
Travis is great
The Go-Go's are great
Nickelback is a pile of crap

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 07 Jan, 2011 5:02 PM Quote
UK seems to use the plural for a singular group consisting of more than one person. I hear it on Canadian TV a lot, too.
They would say things like:

"The committee are planning a retirement party."

I almost always use singular for a group as a whole.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 9:26 AM