Travis

Wreckorder Review
Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Fri 24 Sep, 2010 6:10 PM Quote
Just some quick thoughts after my first listen.

The first thing that strikes me is the production its amazing and it takes the songs to another level from the solo live versions and also makes them sound less Travisy.

I think its a really strong album with some amazing songs although it could maybe do with one or two upbeat ones. Stand out tracks on first listen are : Sing Me To Sleep and Moonshine. But there all enjoyable tho Shadow Boxing might be a grower but maybe its cause we haddent heard that live.

Also on the version i got had "Robot" on it which is just joke song and sounds like a poor mans FOTC but it also had the Cockney Demo of As it Comes......it totally loses its heart-wrenching effect with Fran sounding like hes in a Guy Richey film.

Re: Wreckorder Review
mario_healy
mario_healy Posted Fri 24 Sep, 2010 6:37 PM Quote
In The Morning was one of my least favorites, but the album version made me change my mind completely.

i like the production of the album but i think that a little bit more and it would have been overproduced, fortunately it didnt happen that way

in the morning, buttercups and moonshine are my favorites, but its a pretty solid album, this is 100000 times better than Ode To J Smith, no fillers within the album

4.5/5

SamHolden
SamHolden Posted Sat 25 Sep, 2010 1:16 AM Quote
if you've got a URL to the album leak please send! I've pre-ordered the album already but i'm desperate to hear!

sholdensam@aol.com

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sat 25 Sep, 2010 11:42 AM Quote
Couldn't resist downloading it, certainly won't stop me buying it anyway. Had I listened and totally hated it I'd still have bought it because, y'know....it's only right.

On first impressions, am impressed. In The Morning is a great opener, it always sounded good live but the studio treatment makes it even better. Anything is the one that really jumped out at me - I hadn't heard it before but it stands up there with the absolute best things Fran has written fo me. Sing Me To Sleep is excellent, Fly In The Ointment is another that I hadn't heard but is really impressive - quite a different style/delivery on this one but it works beautifully.

As It Comes has never quite appealed to me for some reason. either live or here. I just feel it lacks much clout particularly alongside the other stuff on here but that's just one opinion. Buttercups/Holiday we know are excellent, Shadow Boxing I like - it's not something you'll be singing along to after one listen but it reminds me a bit of the more subtle, atmospheric Travis songs like As You Are/Last Train, the ones that just grew and grew on me until they were among my favourites, the ones that had less commercial/radio potential but I dunno, glued the album together and gave it the magic. Rocking Chair is good, Moonshine is the only one I was slightly disappointed by after hearing people hold it up as one of the highlights, but again that might all change after a few more listens.

What I like about this album - really like - is the fact that it seems so much more personal and I dunno, real, than Ode and the narrative around this J.Smith which with all respect to the band, never appealed to me as a concept at all. It made the songs a bit more distant somehow, a bit less meaningful. The 'personal touch' is back with a vengeance here and I think it's a fantastic effort.

joemono
joemono Posted Sat 25 Sep, 2010 11:32 PM Quote
I think so far my favorites are Anything (love the chorus), Holiday and Sing Me To Sleep, but I'm really enjoying almost all of it. Shadow Boxing is my least favorite.

I already like this better than both The Boy With No Name, and J. Smith.

What's with this Robot song? Was it really done for some kind of comedy show? Anyone know which one?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 26 Sep, 2010 12:48 AM Quote
I'm listening right now, I already love it at Anything! The string-arrangements are bloody awesome!

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sun 26 Sep, 2010 1:19 AM Quote
I'm still strong, and i will. Just until my Copy of Wreckorder arrives. But i like to hear Anything is great! i only heard it live on the Vancouver Show, and i got in love with it!, so i'm sure it will be my favourite! can't wait to listen it! but i'll keep my self strong.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 26 Sep, 2010 2:14 AM Quote
I'm confident my own copy will be here in less than a week, and I'm happy to wait for then. I'd much rather wait for then, and am not tempted at all to download it beforehand. I'm very excited about it though, and I'm sure it'll be better than Ode To J Smith. :)

deebee
deebee Posted Sun 26 Sep, 2010 10:12 AM Quote
I'm being patient and waiting for my hardcopies to arrive!

mario_healy
mario_healy Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 2:10 PM Quote
after listening to the album a few more times i think rocking chair and shadow boxing are the weakest tracks on the record

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:17 PM