Travis

Disc Golf
Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 6:04 PM Quote
My boyfriend has introduced me to a new sport that is becoming very popular in Michigan called Disc Golf. I've been 5 or 6 times now with him and his friends. At first I thought it was the dumbest activity ever. Basically, you play on a course with 18 holes, like golf, but instead of hitting a ball into a hole, you throw a frisbee-like disc and try to get it into a basket. The basket is usually 200+ feet away, so it takes quite a few throws to get it into the basket. There are heavier discs for "putting" when you are closer to the basket.

http://i50.tinypic.com/5akrx0.jpg

I mainly like it because the courses are in state parks and the scenery is beautiful, but it's kind of got a bad wrap as a "stoner sport"...most people who play go and get high in the woods, lol. Not us though, haha, we go because it's just something fun to do outdoors.

Just wondering if this sport has caught on in other states or anywhere outside the US???

Re: Disc Golf
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 6:21 PM Quote
I've never heard of this. But I rarely emerge from my hole in the ground here.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 6:41 PM Quote
Disc golf is huge here. I first remember hearing about it in the late 90s I think. I knew there were a lot of courses here but I just looked on a map and there are 26 listed!

mili
mili Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 9:43 PM Quote
There are two free courses within walking distance from my home. I've never played, but seen others playing a lot. It's mainly young men, and most of them seem to be drinking beer (at least in the weekend afternoons). I've had a few near misses of the discs when cycling through the park where the course is (the park is used for myriad of things besides disc golf).

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:43 PM