Travis

The next Travis album
milos
milos Posted Wed 09 Jun, 2010 12:00 PM Quote
Fran wrote today on his blog that "the next year will be busy". I don't know if he meant that he is going the spend the whole year promoting and touring Wreckorder or if he also meant recording the next Travis album during this period.

Anyway, when do you think we can expect it? I think the the original plan was to record the 7th album this year (Fran even talked about it during Frandy acoustic tour) but it was then pushed back to 2011 because of Wreckorder. I just hope Fran will do some kind of interview or something soon and tell us more about their future plans.

Of course, I don't expect a release date or anything :D but it would be nice to know if there's a chance for some Travis gigs and new songs soon or if it's going to be a longer break.

Re: The next Travis album
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 09 Jun, 2010 1:59 PM Quote
Thanks. :)

He's obviously been taking a family break for a few months ready for (hopefully) a busy traveling year ahead. I have no idea how much time he plans putting into Wreckorder. Depends what he wants to get out of it. Was it the experience of working on the album alone or does he want to live the life as a solo artist for the next year? As you said, the original plan was to write album 7 on the Frandy tour so I'd guess that Travis is still at the front of his mind. :)

I personally hope that Travis start working on album 7 either late this year or early next. I don't think Travis will perform live together until they have a new album which is probably at least another year away.

milos
milos Posted Wed 09 Jun, 2010 2:13 PM Quote
I agree. I'm not expecting any significant Travis news this year. Still, it would be comforting to know for sure that they are planning to start recording new songs at some point later this year or at least next spring/summer. I really don't mind waiting. Three-year gap (assuming that they would release the new album in 2011) between albums is not that bad, especially with Wreckorder being released this year.

I'm also very curious to see where they will go musically on the next album. I recently read that Manic Street Preachers are planning to release an album later this year that will be their "one last shot at mass communication" and that they are going for big radio hits. I have no problem with Travis being less popular today as long as they continue releasing new music and touring, but there's a part of me that really wishes they would try do to something similar. Of course, without sacrificing their artistic integrity or anything.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 09 Jun, 2010 7:55 PM Quote
milos wrote:
I agree. I'm not expecting any significant Travis news this year. Still, it would be comforting to know for sure that they are planning to start recording new songs at some point later this year or at least next spring/summer. I really don't mind waiting. Three-year gap (assuming that they would release the new album in 2011) between albums is not that bad, especially with Wreckorder being released this year.

I'm also very curious to see where they will go musically on the next album. I recently read that Manic Street Preachers are planning to release an album later this year that will be their "one last shot at mass communication" and that they are going for big radio hits. I have no problem with Travis being less popular today as long as they continue releasing new music and touring, but there's a part of me that really wishes they would try do to something similar. Of course, without sacrificing their artistic integrity or anything.

I'm sure when Fran starts his solo stuff he'll be asked about Travis in interviews and we'll get some news then. :)

I read that about the Manics too. It would be nice to have Travis back on the radio and back on the TV. I agree. People on this very board were saying before Ode came out that they didn't want it to sell. They wanted Travis in small venues. I said it wasn't the right attitude to have and look what's happened now... nobody can see Travis at all. I would like Travis to find a little more commercial success, without being Coldplay or something. Though i love Coldplay.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 09 Jun, 2010 8:12 PM Quote
I would love it if the next record was a tribute to Bruce Springsteen ;)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 10 Jun, 2010 2:47 AM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
I would love it if the next record was a tribute to Bruce Springsteen ;)

This made me laugh really really hard

roxytobias
roxytobias Posted Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:10 AM Quote
ah, it's hard to wait. especially when Ode wasn't released in our country. hope wreckorder and the next Travis album would do well internationally so that we could get em here. we deserve good music too! :)

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 17 Jul, 2010 8:55 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
People on this very board were saying before Ode came out that they didn't want it to sell. They wanted Travis in small venues. I said it wasn't the right attitude to have and look what's happened now... nobody can see Travis at all. I would like Travis to find a little more commercial success, without being Coldplay or something. Though i love Coldplay.

I don't remember people saying this. :/ Had they not gone indie with Ode, it would have become more commercial via the strength of a record label's promotion. I still think it's one of their strongest efforts.

Now about album 7: were there any songs left over from Ode to be put on the next record? I remember reading that they used most of what they recorded.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:01 AM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
People on this very board were saying before Ode came out that they didn't want it to sell. They wanted Travis in small venues. I said it wasn't the right attitude to have and look what's happened now... nobody can see Travis at all. I would like Travis to find a little more commercial success, without being Coldplay or something. Though i love Coldplay.

I don't remember people saying this. :/ Had they not gone indie with Ode, it would have become more commercial via the strength of a record label's promotion. I still think it's one of their strongest efforts.

Now about album 7: were there any songs left over from Ode to be put on the next record? I remember reading that they used most of what they recorded.

People were saying that. Only 2 or 3 of course, not many. But yes, people were certainly saying that.

No, i don't think so. I'm sure Fran has many half finished songs though, and i'm sure he's written songs since Ode. How many of those have went towards his solo album though, i don't know.

milos
milos Posted Thu 29 Jul, 2010 1:58 PM Quote
In this new interview, Fran says that he's going to promote Wreckorder for the next eight months and then write the next Travis album. I guess this means it won't come out before 2012, but I'm sure there will be some Travis shows in 2011.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 29 Jul, 2010 4:50 PM Quote
Fran's nearly as bad as Matt Bellamy when it comes to talking about future plans. He didn't ever plan on doing a solo album... He and Andy went out to America to write the next Travis album... At the time Ode was released, he spoke about releasing an album every year. So, don't take anything he says about the future too seriously. :)

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 29 Jul, 2010 8:11 PM Quote
I get the impression Fran tends to go on instinct and follow his gut feeling. This is what he told us about his solo project. I suppose when it feels right, you have to go with the flow :-D Things then just turn out slightly differently than planned.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 01 Aug, 2010 5:07 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
I get the impression Fran tends to go on instinct and follow his gut feeling. This is what he told us about his solo project. I suppose when it feels right, you have to go with the flow :-D Things then just turn out slightly differently than planned.

That's what I think too; based on that new interview posted (thanks for the link btw), it just "hit" him to go solo.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sat 07 Aug, 2010 1:56 PM Quote
I often wonder how other band members feel when the lead singer, or indeed any other musician in the group, takes on other projects. Is there a secret society of sobbing, abandoned performers from, say, Snow Patrol, the Killers, or now Travis, where they can pour out their woes? The "other projects" victims club?
I'm asking partly tongue in cheek, and partly out of genuine interest.
But I do have this image of a darkened bar, tucked away somewhere, far from the prying public, where you can only be allowed to go in, if someone in your band is pursuing other projects. It's smoky and there's a discreet barman pouring shots, and listening to the musicians telling their sorry tales.
I know I'm drivelling, but I've always had an over active imagination....

milos
milos Posted Sat 07 Aug, 2010 4:24 PM Quote
Yeah, Thom Yorke is also touring his solo album with another band. And the singer from Starsailor is doing a solo record as well, i think! What's going on!? :D As for Travis.. Fran has recently said that the main reason for doing Wreckorder is the fact that the rest of the band wanted a break and he didn't so he decided to record a solo album. So I guess Dougie, Andy and Neil are just enjoying their vacations! Although I remember Fran saying last year that he was the one who wanted a holiday, i guess he changed his mind! :D

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:20 PM