Travis

My maiden trip to Glasgow...
cosmic
cosmic Posted Sun 30 May, 2010 9:26 PM Quote
So after 24 years of living in this world, I thought it was high bloody time I took a trip to the musical mecca that is Glasgow. The reason was the graduate recruitment fair at the SECC and to escape the doom and gloom and misery of the Granite City (I've actually started calling it Aberdoom). Must say I was very excited. I booked the train down and figured I'd take the megabus back up, cheapest way on my 18 hours a week job and no more student loan coming my way. I got off the train at Queen St, jumped into a taxi, told the taxi driver to take the scenic route to the SECC and we had a right old chat, he told me all about Glasgow, how great it is, started telling me all about the sights and sounds and then, started quizzing me. Obviously, been graduated uni almost a year, went back to uni funded to kill some time and so far have been getting nowhere trying to find a job in Aberdoom, my close call was Total just last month when I got down to the final 3 and saw a 32k salary flash before my eyes and explode, just like the £250,000 box getting opened in the first round in Deal or no Deal. He asked me if I would consider moving... of course was the answer. Its just getting the motivation to do so.

My jaunt round the SECC lasted about an hour and then, I decided to take a bus into the city centre... just at that, round the corner came the sightseeing bus... jumped off at Sauchiehall st... started walking back the way to Kelvingrove gardens, got slightly confused as to the direction I was going and a friendly glaswegian put me in the right direction. And as I walked by Kelvingrove gardens, I couldn't help but think that no one would dare touch such a beautiful place... cos all I hear in Aberdoom just now is the big Union Terrace gardens debacle. I kept walking about and as soon as I got lost, it was TAXI. As I was getting the Megabus home at 6, I was wanting to stay as near to Buchanan Bus Station as I possibly could, so I jumped in a taxi to Buchanan St, and as I'd researched where the Horseshoe Bar was, I only felt right that I paid a little visit. Eeee. Mega excited. After that, I spent a small fortune in Urban Outfitters and wandered about the buchanan galleries for hours on end, even passing by one of the characters outta River City. Was really sad to get on that megabus home...

I must say a little part of me has been left in Glasgow, just loved how big it was, how anything goes and yes, you could say its a one of those cities where so many stereotypes are explored but |I think that's what makes it as it is. I have yet to see an older happy go lucky woman go into Topshop/insertshopnamehere, and eye up every single bag, top in there and want to buy the whole shop and chat up the guy on the door in Aberdeen. Apart from my Granny that is, who once asked the window cleaner in New Look in Elgin what he used to wash his windows. I think I just loved how random it all was, and how to be honest, Aberdeen is pretty much a city so small now it just feels full of cliques and you hve to try and be something/someone just to get somewhere... I don't think that really matters in Glasgow and people are more open... To be honest, I've had so much disappointments in Aberdeen over the past year, I'm really to drop everything and move on, so I'm giving it this summer. If I can't find a job, then I think I'll really know the score. Surely to god, there are jobs in Logistics and Contracts down in Glasgow?! I think I've found some new positivity. Thank god.

Re: My maiden trip to Glasgow...
cosmic
cosmic Posted Sun 30 May, 2010 9:31 PM Quote
PS. I hasten to add, since arriving back in Aberdoom - I've been dealt with the worst haircut EVER (if I didn't know the law of delict so well, I'd be suing them) and shaken far too many cocktails to mention in a result next door to Cineworld AND have spent today preparing for an interview and crapping my pants over it...

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 31 May, 2010 10:42 PM Quote
As an Aberdeen supporter living in Glasgow. I must warn you, you are likely to be stoned for even saying you liked Glasgow.

Dont say i didnt warn you :)

cosmic
cosmic Posted Sun 06 Jun, 2010 11:37 PM Quote
Haha, cheers for letting me know, I'll bear it in mind if I ever move... I don't support Aberdeen FC tho, would that help me out?!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 7:28 PM