Travis

Self-service checkouts
Kristy
Kristy Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 9:40 PM Quote
Do you use them?

Shoppers face more self-scan tills

I think they're awful, they never work, they shout at you, you can't re-arrange stuff in the bags cos it think yer nicking stuff, the products never scan properly and in the end a human being has to help me out anyways ...!!

Re: Self-service checkouts
minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 9:46 PM Quote
i've had a few problems with them, but I generally like them. The lines are usually shorter at them. And scanning things is fun.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 9:50 PM Quote
Kristy wrote:
Do you use them?

I think they're awful, they never work, they shout at you, you can't re-arrange stuff in the bags cos it think yer nicking stuff, the products never scan properly and in the end a human being has to help me out anyways ...!!

I agree. What's the point of someone standing there watching you do all this when they could be doing it faster themselves.

Kristy
Kristy Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 9:55 PM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
Kristy wrote:
Do you use them?

I agree. What's the point of someone standing there watching you do all this when they could be doing it faster themselves.

Exactly! In my local Tesco they have two people watching a bank of four self service tills with each person at those tills moving twice as slow than if they were at a normal till. Now, I may be missing something here but that says to me those two people could be serving at a checkout in the normal manner using exactly the same amount of time. Plus, I'm sure those stupid tills aren't cheap to create, fit and fix when they're (always) broken. And if I were employed at Tesco I think I'd be incredibly bored watching people ponderously scan their loo rolls etc.

This is my current soap box rant lol.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 9:56 PM Quote
If I only have a few items, I will. If I have a whole shopping cart full, no way! Since the machine doesn't want you to remove any bags before you pay, you're screwed if you still have things in the cart and no room left in the limited amount of bags they give you.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 01 May, 2010 12:18 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
If I only have a few items, I will. If I have a whole shopping cart full, no way! Since the machine doesn't want you to remove any bags before you pay, you're screwed if you still have things in the cart and no room left in the limited amount of bags they give you.

we have super spinny things where the bag is. Fill one section, and spin it and you have a whole new section to put your filled bags in. tis awesome. scanning AND spinning things!

Kristy
Kristy Posted Wed 05 May, 2010 3:40 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

we have super spinny things where the bag is. Fill one section, and spin it and you have a whole new section to put your filled bags in. tis awesome. scanning AND spinning things!

Now that's common sense.

I was watching a woman using a self service checkout t'other week and she put her handbag on the loading part. Of course the machine went mad with "unidentified item in baggage handling area" a few times and she was looking all over for this 'unidentified item'!
I was cringing. It's not a good look for us 21st century women lol.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 05 May, 2010 5:29 PM Quote
We don't have anything like it, so I don't know exactly how it works, but I feel sad for all the people who will lose their jobs because they're being replaced by a machine that doesn't necessarily provide a better service.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 05 May, 2010 5:43 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
We don't have anything like it, so I don't know exactly how it works, but I feel sad for all the people who will lose their jobs because they're being replaced by a machine that doesn't necessarily provide a better service.

I think their claim is that they can keep prices lower for the consumer because they don't have to pay workers. But those things are far from perfect and they have to have a "babysitter" because everyone has problems with them.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 05 May, 2010 5:49 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

I think their claim is that they can keep prices lower for the consumer because they don't have to pay workers. But those things are far from perfect and they have to have a "babysitter" because everyone has problems with them.

not that I would ever do this because I obey the law and fear consiquences, but they have to lose money. How many people when putting in produce codes and stuff are going to just say they got button mushrooms instead of portobellos?

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Thu 06 May, 2010 5:30 PM Quote
I can never figure out how to work them. My friend said to me today though that she wants to be one of those people who stand around making sure they work alright for customers. Cos then she'd get paid for standing around and doing nothing. I'd think it would be extremely boring.

Darran
Darran Posted Thu 06 May, 2010 8:11 PM Quote
I wouldn't use anything else.

tracymac1969
tracymac1969 Posted Mon 10 May, 2010 3:57 PM Quote
I see all points of view. As a Front End Manager at Sobeys, i look after the cashiers and registers. they first brought in the self serves to create a better shopping experience for the customers. That way they could choose not to wait in a line up at busy times.
The process has actually been fascinating! The scanners are forever going down, problems in communication between the server and the computer that controls them, prices and product being enetered into the database incorrectly, weight estimates of product and bags are off....the list can go on and on! Throw in the various varieties of shoppers own bags? Oh boy!!!
On the plus side, when you get a self serve that is in good working order, it can really take alot of time off your visit..once you get used to them
I train my cashiers to assist the customers to learn how to use them, that way the customers get more confident using them and the cashier is actually working for her money...the best of both worlds!!!
But i do agree with Kristy, there are alot of customers taking home prodcut that is not entered correctly, or don't even hit the scanner, it's a Loss Prevention nightmare! I think overall, they do serve a good purpose...when the time is right!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:11 PM