Travis

   
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
hennypenny
Posts: 2092
hennypenny Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 6:48 PM Quote
Good luck to everyone on the job hunt!

Good luck on Tuesday Dubz!

Kristy, you WILL get this job!

Juli, glad you had a great time!
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
megg_inc
Posts: 3778
megg_inc Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 12:18 AM Quote
I just got back from the gig I went to with Kristy (who I hope managed to come back safely) and I am kinda deaf right now, haha. Hopefully it'll pass until tomorrow as I have an internship inteview! Oh, and the gig was fun (and only 3 pounds!).
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 9:20 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
I just got back from the gig I went to with Kristy (who I hope managed to come back safely) and I am kinda deaf right now, haha. Hopefully it'll pass until tomorrow as I have an internship inteview! Oh, and the gig was fun (and only 3 pounds!).


I'm alive!
Yup, good show. I liked all 4 bands. But my stamp won't wash off.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 10:05 AM Quote
I was out training yesterday morning, I'll never complain about the rain again, it was very windy and it made it extremely difficult. Last night my ankle started to "sieze up" a bit not so much sore as tight and didn't feel right, I'm just hoping I haven't landed awkwardly on it and sprained it. I really don't need a sprained ankle when I'm starting work. Luckily today is a "Rest Day" so I have no training to do anyway. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what it feels like before whether deciding to go running tomorrow, I don't want to break from my programme as I know I'll find excuses not to start it again. Don't actually know if I'll be able to keep it up once I'm working anyway.

On the subject of work I'm spending today & this weekend doing loads of shit around the house, tidying, laundry, etc., etc. I've a list of stuff to do on Monday too. Haircut, shopping etc. I'm setting my alarm for 7am just to get used to having to get up. I'm an early riser anyway but actually having to get up is something I have to get used to again. It's not going to be easy as I have to fit in 2hours (estimated) travel time, 1 hour training & 1.5hours online course and an 8hour shift everyday. It's just starting to sink in and it's a weird feeling after being unemployed since Nov '09.


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 11:19 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
It's not going to be easy as I have to fit in 2hours (estimated) travel time, 1 hour training & 1.5hours online course and an 8hour shift everyday. It's just starting to sink in and it's a weird feeling after being unemployed since Nov '09.


Dubz


you will be a busy boy. Megg and I were talking about this last night; what are we going to do when our days arent filled with job hunting? Oh ya...work!
Do you have a lunch break that you could do some running during? Even if you had to alter you had to alter your programme, it would be a good way to get some excercise in, and give you more free time at night to work on your course.
Looking at 2 or 3 flats this weekend. Hopefully something comes of one of them.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
thewishlist
Posts: 504
thewishlist Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 11:25 AM Quote
Absy wrote:
Writing cover letters for job applications.
Fun innit ?


Soooo much fun!!! Woooohoooooo!
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 11:47 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
It's not going to be easy as I have to fit in 2hours (estimated) travel time, 1 hour training & 1.5hours online course and an 8hour shift everyday. It's just starting to sink in and it's a weird feeling after being unemployed since Nov '09.


Dubz


you will be a busy boy. Megg and I were talking about this last night; what are we going to do when our days arent filled with job hunting? Oh ya...work!
Do you have a lunch break that you could do some running during? Even if you had to alter you had to alter your programme, it would be a good way to get some excercise in, and give you more free time at night to work on your course.
Looking at 2 or 3 flats this weekend. Hopefully something comes of one of them.


It depends on the start time and traffic in the morining, if I get 9am start and can get a bus at 8am, I could conceivably get up at 6am and squeeze an hour's trainning in before work (don't think I'll be at all motivated to run in the evening after a day's work) and do my course in the evenings, I will just have to wait and see. Don't know what sorta breaks I'll be entitled to yet, I know they'll pay my travelling expenses and lunch is provided so that should save me a few bob.


Good Luck in the House Hunting, also do you have any idea when you should hear back from them about your job application ?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you (& Megg)


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 11:58 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
[Good Luck in the House Hunting, also do you have any idea when you should hear back from them about your job application ?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you (& Megg)


Dubz


they said it would be a couple days as some people are on holidays, so not to panic if I don't hear right away. I have another interview monday morning that I would honestly rather not go to, so fingers crossed they call first thing Monday morning! And that it is good news, not bad.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
moo_the_evil_boffin
Posts: 560
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 12:02 PM Quote
I got a job as a student ambassador for my university! The extra money means that I'll definitely be able to live down here for my placement year (no student finance for placements - boo!)! Woohoo!!
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 12:20 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
[Good Luck in the House Hunting, also do you have any idea when you should hear back from them about your job application ?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you (& Megg)


Dubz


they said it would be a couple days as some people are on holidays, so not to panic if I don't hear right away. I have another interview monday morning that I would honestly rather not go to, so fingers crossed they call first thing Monday morning! And that it is good news, not bad.


Cool, I really hope you get it. You've worked hard for it. Keep your options open just in case (though I'm sure I don't need to tell you that). Also bear in mind that it's the UK and you know already what they are like when it comes to returning phone calls, nothing moves fast. I applied for the hotel job back on 23rd Feb it was 15th Mar before they called me for interview and 22nd Mar before I was offered it and 30th before they gave me a start date of 5th April.

moo_the_evil_boffin wrote:
I got a job as a student ambassador for my university! The extra money means that I'll definitely be able to live down here for my placement year (no student finance for placements - boo!)! Woohoo!!


That's great news Moo, Well Done !!


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 1:01 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
[Good Luck in the House Hunting, also do you have any idea when you should hear back from them about your job application ?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you (& Megg)


Dubz


they said it would be a couple days as some people are on holidays, so not to panic if I don't hear right away. I have another interview monday morning that I would honestly rather not go to, so fingers crossed they call first thing Monday morning! And that it is good news, not bad.


Cool, I really hope you get it. You've worked hard for it. Keep your options open just in case (though I'm sure I don't need to tell you that). Also bear in mind that it's the UK and you know already what they are like when it comes to returning phone calls, nothing moves fast. I applied for the hotel job back on 23rd Feb it was 15th Mar before they called me for interview and 22nd Mar before I was offered it and 30th before they gave me a start date of 5th April.

Dubz


yup. Cautiously optimistic. Have a few more jobs saved that I will apply for should this or next weeks not work out. Needed a break from it for a few days. And will also go the temp agency route, me thinks
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Meridith
Posts: 2076
Meridith Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 5:27 PM Quote
Congrats on the new job Dubz! Hope your ankle is okay and feels better soon. Maybe try to ice it a bit today. I had something similar happen to me in the fall. I don't remember twisting it or actually injuring it, but it just didn't feel right. I went in and had an x-ray done but nothing looked off. Dr. thought it was a mild sprain and just said to ice it and take it a little easier. I hope you are able to keep with your training one you start your new job. It's sooooo hard to get back into it once you stop. I haven't run since November and I just can find the motivation to get out there and do it. I've got a race coming up in a couple months that I need to start training for but I'm finding all kinds of excuses to not do it. Now that the weather is turning nice, I really have no excuse.

Moo- that is great news! What will you be doing as an ambassador?

Kristy and Megg- Glad you had fun at your gigs! Good luck with the job hunting and such!

Juli- Sounds like a fun concert. That sucks about the traffic though!

I'm so frustrated right now. I keep submitting designs for my freelance client only to be rejected over and over again. I hear they are doing this with other designers but this is not helping my self-esteem to have rejection after rejection. I feel like a failure in my profession. :(

 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Turtleneck
Posts: 7404
Turtleneck Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 5:37 PM Quote
Meridith, I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but maybe you should try to make the logo bigger!

Such is the life of a designer. Don has this client who wanted a web site that reflected "balance." BALANCE! BALANCE! IT'S ALL ABOUT BALANCE! So, Don would give him things that reflected balance and the guy would say, "No, I want something that says 'balance.'" After several rejects, he finds out that this guy has a marketing team that he did NOT consult before his brilliant "balance" idea, and they HATE the idea of balance and the whole thing has to be done over again.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
mili
Posts: 3258
mili Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 5:58 PM Quote
For the frustrated designers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J2rrFiN1Jw

Clients can be bad for your ego, it's best to just smile and wave (great wisdom from Madagascar the film), as long as they pay the bill. I can't say I'm proud of all the stuff that leaves my office, but sometimes you just have to stop hitting your head against a brick wall and let it go.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Meridith
Posts: 2076
Meridith Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 6:02 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Meridith, I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but maybe you should try to make the logo bigger!

Such is the life of a designer. Don has this client who wanted a web site that reflected "balance." BALANCE! BALANCE! IT'S ALL ABOUT BALANCE! So, Don would give him things that reflected balance and the guy would say, "No, I want something that says 'balance.'" After several rejects, he finds out that this guy has a marketing team that he did NOT consult before his brilliant "balance" idea, and they HATE the idea of balance and the whole thing has to be done over again.


LOL that video is awesome! Yes, that definitely is the life of a designer. sigh. That's frustrating about Don's client. Starting over SUCKS! I can't tell you how many times I have a client dead set on something, I give them my opinion on why it wouldn't work, and then do it for them because that is what they are paying me to do, and then they hate it, so I have to start over. If they would just listen to me in the first place. But sometimes they just have to see it for themselves. Not only do I have design woes, my computer is being slooooooooow and I need to upgrade to CS5 AND get a new computer so I can run CS5. But first, I need to finish these freelance projects and get paid, so I can buy these things. sigh.
 
Pages Previous 1...92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 Next All Times GMT Current Time 4:31 PM
Post Reply