Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 2:14 PM Quote
Like I said, I was just curious. Mainly that movie got me to thinking that one of those "highs" is legal (the alcohol) and the other highs were illegal. Why risk an illegal high when there are legal ones? There must have been some significant difference in what it does to you to choose one over the other.
I've never been drunk, and only medically "high" if you want to call it that. I just remember feeling pleasantly warm and sleepy and although I was still in pain, I really didn't care.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 2:19 PM Quote
Have you seen this documentary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-TnlyvuBAs&feature=related

It's quite interesting.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 2:34 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Like I said, I was just curious. Mainly that movie got me to thinking that one of those "highs" is legal (the alcohol) and the other highs were illegal. Why risk an illegal high when there are legal ones? There must have been some significant difference in what it does to you to choose one over the other.
I've never been drunk, and only medically "high" if you want to call it that. I just remember feeling pleasantly warm and sleepy and although I was still in pain, I really didn't care.

I think it is the fact that they are illegal, There's an illicitness in taking this stuff, Like a cigarette behind the bike sheds or playing truant from school. I honestly believe if certain drugs (marijuna for example) were made legal tomorrow the usage level would drop dramatically.

I was hopped up on morphine in the hospital when I crashed the bike, it some ways it was quite similar.

Dubz

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 3:32 PM Quote

I can't contribute to this conversation because I've only been drunk two or three times and family history has prevented me from ever feeling even curious about trying any kind of drugs or tobacco. :oP

Today's news of me: my sister just called to let me know she has bought tickets to see Muse + U2 tomorrow. The gig is not even in Buenos Aires. But we're going and I've just found out. It's tomorrow!
I need time to prepare for gigs, to get the "gig spirit". Let alone if it implies going to a different city in the middle of the week!

We hadn't bought the tickets earlier because we were hoping Muse would do a solo gig in Buenos Aires, but they aren't: the only chance to see them is going to La Plata and seeing them supporting U2. The gigs had sold out in like an hour, months ago. And now three tickets appear out of the blue and we're going. Soooo weird!
I don't even know how we're going to get to the venue...

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 3:45 PM Quote
I've just had a call offering me the other job I went for in the youth club subject to references. My Garda Clearance has come through.

I don't know what to do...

The youth club is closer but more difficult to get to (walking is basically the only way, 30mins) it's also part time from 3pm till 7pm Mon-Fri. It's helping kids and stuff.

The Hotel is further away but I can get a bus door to door, it's normal full time hours 9-5 Mon-Fri, It's more in my area of work and there is a chance of a proper job at the end of it.

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 3:55 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I've just had a call offering me the other job I went for in the youth club subject to references. My Garda Clearance has come through.

I don't know what to do...

The youth club is closer but more difficult to get to (walking is basically the only way, 30mins) it's also part time from 3pm till 7pm Mon-Fri. It's helping kids and stuff.

The Hotel is further away but I can get a bus door to door, it's normal full time hours 9-5 Mon-Fri, It's more in my area of work and there is a chance of a proper job at the end of it.

Dubz

Just an outsiders opinion, but I think the hotel seems like a better option, especially in the long term. And maybe even the youth centre would let you volunteer a night a week, or on the weekend if it is something you are interested in pursuing. Or perhaps there are other youth volunteer opportunities elsewhere. But the hotel seems like it was likely harder to get, and isnt going to come around again anytime soon.
Just my thoughts as someone also in the job hunt!

Also, the Irish chick on MTV keeps saying "filum" (film) and it's making me laugh.
Okay...off to get some groceries for dinner.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 4:08 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Just an outsiders opinion, but I think the hotel seems like a better option, especially in the long term. And maybe even the youth centre would let you volunteer a night a week, or on the weekend if it is something you are interested in pursuing. Or perhaps there are other youth volunteer opportunities elsewhere. But the hotel seems like it was likely harder to get, and isnt going to come around again anytime soon.
Just my thoughts as someone also in the job hunt!

Thanks Kristy, I think you're right, I think if I'm truely honest with myself I'm leaning towards the hotel. Think I'm just looking for someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing. Don't want to be selfish in letting the kids down but it's something I've never done and I may not be suited to it, whereas with the hotel I know what I'm doing. The kids will get another youth leader, it just won't be me that's all.

Thanks again much appreciated.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 4:16 PM Quote
I vote hotel, also.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 4:58 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I vote hotel, also.

Thanks Kayte, muchos appreciated.

I did have someone I could have sat down and talked to about it all but I fear I may have burnt that particular bridge.

and Kristy look out for other Irish traits... missing out the "h" in words with "th" as in "33 & 1/3" pronounced Tirty Tree and a Turd or Book pronounced Buke. I'm totally used to it now and don't even notice, in fact I've probably picked some of it up I'm sure my mates will let me know when I see them in a few weeks.

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 5:35 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
I vote hotel, also.

Thanks Kayte, muchos appreciated.

I did have someone I could have sat down and talked to about it all but I fear I may have burnt that particular bridge.

and Kristy look out for other Irish traits... missing out the "h" in words with "th" as in "33 & 1/3" pronounced Tirty Tree and a Turd or Book pronounced Buke. I'm totally used to it now and don't even notice, in fact I've probably picked some of it up I'm sure my mates will let me know when I see them in a few weeks.

Dubz

I didnt know that h was pronounced hey-ch here (that might be a bad discriptive). Made me laugh. Much like turd would! ha!

Ya, and don't worry about the kids! they will hire someone else. You arent leaving them in the lerch

Edel
Edel Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 6:00 PM Quote
Im with Kristy and Kayte on this one as well Dubz. If Ireland is like Denmark at the moment theres loads of cutbacks in the child 'areas'. Therefore Im sure the opportunity would show up again as there will always be a need for people doing internships/job experience in these areas, as government wont fork out wages:0/ So I'd settle for the hotel as well if you feel its more you and with chance of employment in the long run.

God my english is getting embarassingly baddddddddddd....
Kristy filum annoys me as well even if Im irish;0) Think 'th' is more like an f with the english. I started using a silent f as got sick of ppl mocking me

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 29 Mar, 2011 6:34 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I vote hotel, also.

Me three!

I like the sound of "tirty tree", haha.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Wed 30 Mar, 2011 6:48 AM Quote
Dubz, I vote hotel also. Good luck with the new job!

Juli, I'm so jealous of the concert! Have a great time!

mili
mili Posted Wed 30 Mar, 2011 8:27 AM Quote
I'm with the hotel crowd, too!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 12:45 AM Quote
Seriously Britain, stop creating all these awesome tv shows! I get addicted way too easily!

Pages Previous 1...90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:18 AM