Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 1:22 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Is Linkedin used a lot in England?

Not as far as I know, it's not used much in Ireland either, However I do remember reading an article probably in the Dubliner or somewhere about Social Networking sites, possibly around the time of the film being made, It had a list of the top 5. It was very interesting, seemingly there is a huge one in the Far East, I think South America also had one, Linkedin was mentioned in the States and there was also another European one that I had never heard of.

It's easy to think that because there are loads of people on FB that it's the social networking site, but in reality other people in other cultures use different ones.

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 2:00 PM Quote
Here Linkedin is quite a useful site for finding jobs and making connections. I was going to give Kristy some suggestions on how to use it effectively but if it's not used there very much there's no point in her wasting her energy.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 2:08 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Here Linkedin is quite a useful site for finding jobs and making connections. I was going to give Kristy some suggestions on how to use it effectively but if it's not used there very much there's no point in her wasting her energy.

If it's used at all it may be worth it, the more options you explore (however slim) the more chance you have. Might even look into it myself. Thanks !!

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 2:18 PM Quote
Yeah I guess that is true. This might be obvious but once you create a profile make as many contacts as possible. It makes you look fancier and more professional.

Next, have your profile be as full as possible. I don't mean just your work experience, I mean fill in all the various areas they recommend. Upload a picture and (this is big) get recommendations. Those have to come from people that actually worked with (paid or volunteer) but it can't just be your friend.

Finally, join groups that are of interest to you. It's a way to make more connections and get on people's radars. My friend got several job interviews this way.

And there are jobs just listed on there that you can search for. I got one interview myself through a Linkedin posting.

I was just getting mine in better shape when I got a job this fall so it's not perfect but I have a job right now so I don't care.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 2:40 PM Quote
Sounds good, thank you, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Having a lazy day today, think I may be coming down with something, have been lying on the couch with the duvet watching crappy TV since I got up at 7 this morning, not feeling great so still not even dressed yet still in joggies and football jersey. Have to go food shopping but should have enough here to last till tomorrow.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 2:56 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
Is Linkedin used a lot in England?

Not as far as I know, it's not used much in Ireland either, However I do remember reading an article probably in the Dubliner or somewhere about Social Networking sites, possibly around the time of the film being made, It had a list of the top 5. It was very interesting, seemingly there is a huge one in the Far East, I think South America also had one, Linkedin was mentioned in the States and there was also another European one that I had never heard of.

It's easy to think that because there are loads of people on FB that it's the social networking site, but in reality other people in other cultures use different ones.

Dubz

Linkedin is relatively big in Finland, but for recreational purposes Facebook is the king. Some companies are there, too, and there's been a lot of talk about people who've been sacked for writing inappropriate stuff about their employers.
I used to hang out in Orkut for a while, but it was taken over by Brazilians, and no-one I know does anything there anymore. In fact, I don't think I know my password anymore.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 3:03 PM Quote
I guess you don't hear about Linkedin unless you're a user. I never hear anything about it, but I just asked Don and he said after his personal web sites, he gets the most hits from Linkedin. (He said his profile isn't complete and he needs to fill it out more.) It's really just a business thing, whereas FB is social.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 3:09 PM Quote
Yes it's definitely a business site. I thought of another thing that is handy. If you're looking at a company or someone who works there you can see if you're connected to them in any way. For example, the interview I got I discovered that a friend of mine was 2 steps away from one of the founders so he was able to ask his friend to reach out to that guy. I would have never known that otherwise.

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 4:31 PM Quote
Well, today I finally decided it was time to face French bureaucracy and went into town to beg them to give me a French driving licence. I needed to have a medical first (at my own expense!!!) then give them tons of paperwork to finally walk away with my PINK licence. Needed to be done since my UK photocard expired 6 months ago and the Brits won't renew it. The positive side of this is that they told me I have perfect eyesight which I'm happy about :)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 5:31 PM Quote
Good for you! Vroom vroom!

Today it is 50ºF (10ºC). The sun is shining. The snow is beginning to melt. I'm not sure I can trust my senses that it is still February in Michigan.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 5:58 PM Quote
Im not sure how big it is here. Ive only seen it mentioned once. People from work did say they would write recommendations for me.
Just got back from hangs with Megg. She is as sweet and nice as you would expect. We gossiped about you all :)

And I have a phone, successful day!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 6:06 PM Quote
Good for you,

I don't mind being talked about, if people are gossiping about me it means they're leaving someone else alone.

Dubz

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 6:12 PM Quote

Congratulations Debbie on your new pink licence!

10ºC sounds nice, Kayte.

minnmess wrote:
Just got back from hangs with Megg. She is as sweet and nice as you would expect. We gossiped about you all :)

Awww, lovely! We want photos!!! What did you guys do? Besides gossiping about boardies, I mean. :oP
Megg is a dear, isn't she? I miss her... I miss meeting boardies.

It's only february (most of the activities of the year actually kick off in March) and I'm tired already. How am I going to make it through the year, I really don't know.

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 6:44 PM Quote
Speaking of vroom vroom, have you sorted out your wheels yet Kayte?
Forgot to say thanks to Dubz for the Mogwai recommendation. It's given me something to start with :)
Kristy, glad you and Megg had a nice time together. Ah I do like London and the photos are looking great!

monkey
monkey Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 6:48 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

We are all lovely and charming so that's cool.

I'm having a problem with my broadband and maybe a lovely and charming boardie can help. I've got it set up wirelessly and it connects and says it has excellent coverage and then nothing happens. Firefox says it cant connect to the server, IE crashes and i can't even log into skype. any ideas?

Pages Previous 1...73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:51 AM