Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 15 Feb, 2011 5:21 PM Quote
Well, it's been my first day in London. First thing in the morning: a pirate, Superman and an alligator in the tube fundraising for kids. Hilarious.
So far I've seen The Buckingham Palace (and saw carriages with some members of the Royal Family, but I was too far away to notice who that was), Piccadily Circus (which is surprisingly small) and Westminster (sooo impressive). I also had an intership interview which was really nice but I doubt I got it. So yeah, quite eventful.

Thanks for all the crossed fingers and wishes! Much appreciated :).

For me it's quite the opposite, Kristy. I was so terrified throughout the last week I'm pretty sute my face was green all the time. Now I somehow know it'll be fine eventually. Hearing awesome accents helps (although I'm pretty sute I've heard more French than English today).

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 15 Feb, 2011 5:43 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Well, it's been my first day in London. First thing in the morning: a pirate, Superman and an alligator in the tube fundraising for kids. Hilarious.
So far I've seen The Buckingham Palace (and saw carriages with some members of the Royal Family, but I was too far away to notice who that was), Piccadily Circus (which is surprisingly small) and Westminster (sooo impressive). I also had an intership interview which was really nice but I doubt I got it. So yeah, quite eventful.

For me it's quite the opposite, Kristy. I was so terrified throughout the last week I'm pretty sute my face was green all the time. Now I somehow know it'll be fine eventually. Hearing awesome accents helps (although I'm pretty sute I've heard more French than English today).

Eaa! Lovely. :o)
You're certainly not wasting your time, haha.
Everything sounds so exciting!!! I'm so happy for you. :o)

mili
mili Posted Tue 15 Feb, 2011 5:57 PM Quote
Good luck with your various job interviews, ladies!
So much going on!!

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 15 Feb, 2011 6:00 PM Quote
Juli, you'll be fine - good luck ! I'll be crossing my fingers it all goes well for you.
Megg, Kristy, it's good to hear you've arrived safely and are getting stuck into London life. Make sure you get a chance to check out a film premiere or two in Leicester square.
Dubz, the festival I'm going to this summer has just announced that Mogwai is in the line up too. Tbh, I've never listened to their music before so will have to check it out. Enjoy the gig.

Absy
Absy Posted Tue 15 Feb, 2011 6:30 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
megg_inc wrote:

Eaa! Lovely. :o)
You're certainly not wasting your time, haha.
Everything sounds so exciting!!! I'm so happy for you. :o)

Go for it Megg !

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 15 Feb, 2011 8:55 PM Quote
I realized Im on the same time zone as the board. that's weird.

Megg, I thought for half a second I saw you today, near Piccidilly Circus, although I could be totally wrong.
3 girls walked by speaking what sounded like Polish. Girl i thought might be you (based on the back of you, lol) was wearing a black coat with a hood up? Anywho, that's exciting about an internship interview!
what is stressing me out is the lack of hearing anything with the 15-20 CV's I've sent in. I know that isnt many and that it might take awhile in this economy, but when you are crashing at someone else's place and need $$ (err, still dont know how to do the pound thing) it becomes and issue!
Oh well, doing what I can. Applied for 3 more today!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:15 PM Quote
Well fuck me with a fish fork...twice,

I've just seen Mogwai, Phil Spector may have invented the "wall of sound" but Mogwai have perfected it. My ears are still ringing. At one point it sounded like Mogwai, The Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine and John Martyn all rolled into one. Fuck me.

Dubz

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:23 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Megg, I thought for half a second I saw you today, near Piccidilly Circus, although I could be totally wrong.
3 girls walked by speaking what sounded like Polish. Girl i thought might be you (based on the back of you, lol) was wearing a black coat with a hood up? Anywho, that's exciting about an internship interview!
what is stressing me out is the lack of hearing anything with the 15-20 CV's I've sent in. I know that isnt many and that it might take awhile in this economy, but when you are crashing at someone else's place and need $$ (err, still dont know how to do the pound thing) it becomes and issue!

Nope, not me, I don't even know any Polish girls in London. and my coat is grey :) I thought I saw you in a tube but then I realized the girl has long hair, haha.

I'm freaked out with all the mobile phone/ bank account/ address/ security number mess.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:40 PM Quote
Is Top Shop hiring?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 12:54 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Nope, not me, I don't even know any Polish girls in London. and my coat is grey :) I thought I saw you in a tube but then I realized the girl has long hair, haha.

I'm freaked out with all the mobile phone/ bank account/ address/ security number mess.

me too. except for the insurance number bit. seems easy enough, just a waiting game.

Ha, i like that we both fake saw each other.
Apperently I could have opened a bank account if I had brought a statement from home, even without my address here. Why didnt they say that online?

monkey
monkey Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 3:38 AM Quote
The pretty lass that at my works at the local Kings has a boyfriend. She ticked all the boxes for me so i'm a little disappointed, but i like a challenge

When did YouTube start with the adverts?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 8:25 AM Quote
mili wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I'm going to see Mogwai tonight !!!

Dubz

I expect a full report, so I'll know what to look forward to ;^)
Enjoy and don't forget ear plugs!

It was amazing !!

I've been to see them before, and did not need earplugs as they did a lot of quieter stuff and even the noisy parts weren't that loud. So on that basis I decided to get seated tickets. However last night, wow, the noise was amazing it just hit you straight in the face at times. the stuff from the new album is fantastic when played live. Two very different concerts I loved both of them but last night was something special. (that may be because I'm still buzzing)

They started off with San Pedro, Rano Pano, 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong, George Square Thatcher Death Party then I was too busy listening to note what was being played in what order but White Noise, Mexican Grand Prix, Letters to the Metro & How to be a Werewolf all featured they finished with BatCat before encoring with Autorock & Glasgow Megasnake.

I was utterly blown away by the performance, Dee not so much but she was hearing a lot of it for the first time and it was noisy and a lot of flashing lights don't help when you're tired.

If they were playing again tonight I would gladly part with another €30 to see exactly the same show, Even though it wouldn't be the same as they always do a different setlist.

Eleven, eleven, eleven, ELEVEN out of Ten (because that what they cranked the amps up to)

Yourself, DeeBee and Ric are in for a great gig when they visit your respective countries!!!

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 8:55 AM Quote
Juli - That's great news hope it went well.

DeeBee - Check out their latest album "Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will" it's probably the most accessible to listen to and it seems that the live stuff just now mostly consists of that Album. Come On Die Young" & "The Hawk is Howling" are my other favourite albums although Hunted By a Freak is my favourite track.

Megg - Great to hear you're doing well, fingers crossed for the job.

Kristy - Don't worry too much, you'll get there. Can you get your mum to post you something from home ??

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:31 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Kristy - Don't worry too much, you'll get there. Can you get your mum to post you something from home ??

Dubz

yup. I changed my statements from e to paper last night, so that one will be sent to my parents incase I need it. Emailed the mother last night to say it was coming and i'd let her know if I need it sent. Ideally the NI number paperwork comes end of this week/begining of next and I can just get the ball rolling that way.
My cousin's brother in law lives here, so i emailed him yesterday for some advice and he said everything here is based on credit history. how am i going to have credit history here? odd

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:30 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

yup. I changed my statements from e to paper last night, so that one will be sent to my parents incase I need it. Emailed the mother last night to say it was coming and i'd let her know if I need it sent. Ideally the NI number paperwork comes end of this week/begining of next and I can just get the ball rolling that way.
My cousin's brother in law lives here, so i emailed him yesterday for some advice and he said everything here is based on credit history. how am i going to have credit history here? odd

Don't worry too much about credit history, everyone starts with a blank sheet. What companies are looking for in Credit History is negative rather than positive, unpaid loans, broken contracts, credit card debts, etc. And since you have only arrived you can't have anything like that. For example be careful when picking a mobile (cell) phone because you will end up with a contract and you will be stuck with it for the year at least. This is why a lot of people stick to the pre-paid phones.

Dubz

Pages Previous 1...71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:52 PM