Travis

   
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 9:45 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Kerb? I have never seen that in all my reading days.

Kristy, probably the jobs that pay well not advertised. They're taken well before. Same as it is here.


It just seems crazy. I mean there are some REALLY good paying jobs, but they are things I dont nearly have the experience for. But admin type jobs, with legit companies are paying less than what I made at my old job. Which wasnt that much in the arts/not for profit world, and I know people in similar positions but at for profit companies were making 30%+ more.

Also, one events/marketing company I was going to apply for, I just read partnered with an electronic cigarette company. Dude, Im not working to sell those.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 9:51 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

I'm hoping I'll get by with saying things all wrong and people giving me the benefit of the doubt by thinking Im a silly little Canadian.

Also, I have a pet peeve with a lot of the job postings I'm seeing. Many of them are posted by recruiting companies and it doesnt say what the actual company is, or even the industry. When it's an administrative job, it could be any number of things, but I would like a little more info before I apply!
Also, jobs seem to pay HORRIBLY in London. GIven the cost of living, that seems strange. And postings should at least give a salary range or estimate. If I get the question of how much I expect to be paid, I don't want to sound like a dolt.


A lot of people living in "Western Europe" are from the East of Europe where these wages are an absolute fortune, so they don't mind living in squalor for 6 months as it means they are able to take/send home maybe the equivalent of a couple of years wages in their own country.

Unfortunately, instead of people being angry at the employers exploiting this situation, they tend to get more angry about immigration, the Polish seem to get it particularly bad usually from work shy arseholes who wouldn't know a good day's work if it bit them on the arse.

Administration is basically a way of saying you could be doing everything from PA to making the coffee.


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 10:56 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I'm hoping I'll get by with saying things all wrong and people giving me the benefit of the doubt by thinking Im a silly little Canadian.

Also, I have a pet peeve with a lot of the job postings I'm seeing. Many of them are posted by recruiting companies and it doesnt say what the actual company is, or even the industry. When it's an administrative job, it could be any number of things, but I would like a little more info before I apply!
Also, jobs seem to pay HORRIBLY in London. GIven the cost of living, that seems strange. And postings should at least give a salary range or estimate. If I get the question of how much I expect to be paid, I don't want to sound like a dolt.


A lot of people living in "Western Europe" are from the East of Europe where these wages are an absolute fortune, so they don't mind living in squalor for 6 months as it means they are able to take/send home maybe the equivalent of a couple of years wages in their own country.

Unfortunately, instead of people being angry at the employers exploiting this situation, they tend to get more angry about immigration, the Polish seem to get it particularly bad usually from work shy arseholes who wouldn't know a good day's work if it bit them on the arse.

Administration is basically a way of saying you could be doing everything from PA to making the coffee.


Dubz


Im excited to be one of those foreigners you always hear about taking jobs :)

 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 11:00 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I'm hoping I'll get by with saying things all wrong and people giving me the benefit of the doubt by thinking Im a silly little Canadian.

Also, I have a pet peeve with a lot of the job postings I'm seeing. Many of them are posted by recruiting companies and it doesnt say what the actual company is, or even the industry. When it's an administrative job, it could be any number of things, but I would like a little more info before I apply!
Also, jobs seem to pay HORRIBLY in London. GIven the cost of living, that seems strange. And postings should at least give a salary range or estimate. If I get the question of how much I expect to be paid, I don't want to sound like a dolt.


A lot of people living in "Western Europe" are from the East of Europe where these wages are an absolute fortune, so they don't mind living in squalor for 6 months as it means they are able to take/send home maybe the equivalent of a couple of years wages in their own country.

Unfortunately, instead of people being angry at the employers exploiting this situation, they tend to get more angry about immigration, the Polish seem to get it particularly bad usually from work shy arseholes who wouldn't know a good day's work if it bit them on the arse.

Administration is basically a way of saying you could be doing everything from PA to making the coffee.


Dubz


Im excited to be one of those foreigners you always hear about taking jobs :)



I hate to break it to you but you won't be, you'll probably still be regarded as a colonial cousin, which is just as offensive.


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 11:23 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:


Dubz


Im excited to be one of those foreigners you always hear about taking jobs :)

[/quote]

I hate to break it to you but you won't be, you'll probably still be regarded as a colonial cousin, which is just as offensive.


Dubz [/quote]

They will just be happy that Im not american :)

Follow up question. is it normal for office jobs to be 9-6, 9-6:30? Ive seen a lot of those postings.
Here, 9-5 is pretty standard. Sometimes 8, or 8:30 to 4 or 4:30.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 11:39 PM Quote
Your office day is 9.00am till 5.30pm with an hour for lunch, although that has been fucked about with in recent years, The average working week was 40hrs, 8hrs per day, but they brought in some EU directive a while back that made it illegal to work more than 40 hrs so they cut it back to 39hrs, now this is supposed to be by the book but there are ways around it such as giving a 15 min break in the morning and the same in the afternoon, an hour for lunch suddenly increases your working day by 30mins... If you work in retail they'll give you a day off during the week *Tuesday or some immaterial shit) then pay you normal time for a Saturday...I worked 73hrs/56hrs on a two week security roster when I moved here.


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Sun 06 Feb, 2011 9:55 PM Quote
alright, applied for one job, sent in my CV to a "send us your CV if you would like to see current vacancies" and considering sending an email to someone looking for an au pair.
Decided not to sell my car.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
ricv64
Posts: 10115
ricv64 Posted Sun 06 Feb, 2011 10:26 PM Quote
no shoes , no socks ....... cervazon
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Absy
Posts: 165
Absy Posted Tue 08 Feb, 2011 5:15 PM Quote
Chain smoking.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
weirdmom
Posts: 7598
weirdmom Posted Tue 08 Feb, 2011 6:09 PM Quote
Absy wrote:
Chain smoking.


I wouldn't say this is in line with your target for 2011.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Absy
Posts: 165
Absy Posted Tue 08 Feb, 2011 6:46 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Absy wrote:
Chain smoking.


I wouldn't say this is in line with your target for 2011.

I know but it feels good.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Turtleneck
Posts: 7404
Turtleneck Posted Tue 08 Feb, 2011 11:29 PM Quote
I don't want to leave the house until May.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 12:03 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I don't want to leave the house until May.


I get like that sometimes, but it only usually lasts a day or so, my flat is quite small so I end up with "cabin fever" and have to get out.


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
fenchurch
Posts: 959
fenchurch Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 12:24 AM Quote
Argh! I wish I bloody well lived on my own. And I hate boys, and stupid college presentations clashing with everything. And judgemental people. I hate judgemental people. And I hate when people make you expect things from them, and then let you down.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Posts: 7556
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 3:19 AM Quote

I agree, Fen!

I need a little help, please, boardie friends.
I'm filling up a pre-sign up form for a MA.
It asks about my "level of English" (reading, writing and speaking). I got an A in my First Certificate Exam in 2004 (I think it was in 2004?). I don't know if that counts or how to put it. It was so long ago that probably doesn't even count...
What should I say here?? I don't know which is my "level" of reading, writing and speaking. What do people say in these situations??
I'd be most grateful if anyone could help me out!
 
Pages Previous 1...65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 75 Next All Times GMT Current Time 5:49 PM
Post Reply