Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Wed 02 Feb, 2011 11:47 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I meant to ask Fenchurch ?? As I've recently be re-reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and more specifically "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" which contains a certain character ??

Dubz

Haha, yeah that's where I got it from alright. Love those books, I'll have to read them again some time soon.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 03 Feb, 2011 4:06 PM Quote
I thought so Fen !!

Today I went for a massive walk from Cabra where I live to Bull Island which is like the north arm of Dublin Harbour, I left at 10:00 this morning covered 10+miles and got back about 2:30.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs886.ash1/179457_10150177909882222_603847221_8856771_3415851_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs057.snc6/168719_10150177910837222_603847221_8856794_2513430_n.jpg

There are more photies up on SpaceBook.

Dubz

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 03 Feb, 2011 6:15 PM Quote
Wow that was some walk. Hope you don't mind, I had a peak at the other photos too. Some of them are quite beautiful and are exactly how I imagine Ireland to be, dark menacing skies, choppy waters, love it. I'll get there one day........

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 03 Feb, 2011 10:46 PM Quote
Nice photos! I can't believe someone was swimming.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 03 Feb, 2011 11:15 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
Wow that was some walk. Hope you don't mind, I had a peak at the other photos too. Some of them are quite beautiful and are exactly how I imagine Ireland to be, dark menacing skies, choppy waters, love it. I'll get there one day........

No worries I put them up so people could look at them. It's funny I actually thought it was quite a nice day today, I timed the walk so that I would be there at high-tide, it was just starting to recede as I was coming back, Think that's why it was so choppy, The waves were coming over the bridge and I thought I was gonna get soaked at some point. I've had a look on Google Earth and there seem to be photos where it's all sand flats so I'm going back out there at low-tide just to see the difference. I might get the bus back next time tho' as my legs have been like concrete blocks all evening.

Turtleneck wrote:
Nice photos! I can't believe someone was swimming.

Thank you, they are only taken on my phone, I'm guessing someone like Elfy or Audrey would have a field day out there with a proper camera. Yeah there seems to be a bit of a tradition in Dublin (maybe Ireland) about people swimming in the near freezing sea, There are various baths and areas dotted around Dublin Bay for swimmers including the famous 40ft(might go there next week and get some photos), There are loads of New Year's Day swims and there's also The Liffey Swim where they swim down the river Liffey in Dublin City Centre (btw the Liffey is filthy and I would not advise going anywhere near it).

Yeah he wasn't a young man, more of a pensioner so maybe it's an older tradition.

Anyway I shall try and capture some more of Dublin over the coming weeks.

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 03 Feb, 2011 11:24 PM Quote
Going to the Moulin Rogue singalong. It is soooooooo much fun.

It might start snowing tonight. I hope it doesn't start until I am home. I can drive in the snow but there are loads of dingleberries here who don't have a clue.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 04 Feb, 2011 1:43 PM Quote

After going for nice long walks the past couple of days, the weather has now turned and is blowing a gale with intermittent showers, this means I'm stuck in the hoose. I'm seriously fucking bored.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 04 Feb, 2011 9:53 PM Quote
Do you have some work you could do for your class?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 5:52 PM Quote
Dental visit today. That pick was a killer. Must start flossing daily. No cavities. Yay!

I think I hear a woodpecker.
It's snowing like crazy.
Homemade chicken noodle soup.

That is all.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 7:49 PM Quote
I think I'm going to start sending in my resume to various Londony places today. Scary

Also, are they exclusively known as CV's in the UK? I should stop calling it a resume?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 7:54 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I think I'm going to start sending in my resume to various Londony places today. Scary

Also, are they exclusively known as CV's in the UK? I should stop calling it a resume?

I would, the Brits (English) can be a bit funny about things like that, they tend to think they invented the language so you should use it properly, don't mind them, If you wanna call it a sidewalk, trunk, fender, diaper you go ahead. but if you're looking for employment it may be better to use the term CV (curriculum vitae) instead of resumé.

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 8:50 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I would, the Brits (English) can be a bit funny about things like that, they tend to think they invented the language so you should use it properly, don't mind them, If you wanna call it a sidewalk, trunk, fender, diaper you go ahead. but if you're looking for employment it may be better to use the term CV (curriculum vitae) instead of resumé.

Dubz

What's a sidewalk called? and is curb really kerb? That's just silly.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 9:12 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Sidewalk is a pavement, and yeah Kerb/Curb are the same thing, pronounce it halfway between and you'll be fine.

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 9:24 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Sidewalk is a pavement, and yeah Kerb/Curb are the same thing, pronounce it halfway between and you'll be fine.

Dubz

I'm hoping I'll get by with saying things all wrong and people giving me the benefit of the doubt by thinking Im a silly little Canadian.

Also, I have a pet peeve with a lot of the job postings I'm seeing. Many of them are posted by recruiting companies and it doesnt say what the actual company is, or even the industry. When it's an administrative job, it could be any number of things, but I would like a little more info before I apply!
Also, jobs seem to pay HORRIBLY in London. GIven the cost of living, that seems strange. And postings should at least give a salary range or estimate. If I get the question of how much I expect to be paid, I don't want to sound like a dolt.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 9:34 PM Quote
Kerb? I have never seen that in all my reading days.

Kristy, probably the jobs that pay well not advertised. They're taken well before. Same as it is here.

Pages Previous 1...64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:40 PM