Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
mili
mili Posted Mon 17 Jan, 2011 8:47 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Yesterday I was in a store and I heard a lady say to her child, "Do you want me to slap you? 'Cause I'm gonna knock you out!" The little boy was about 6 of 7, I'd guess. I can't understand how a mother could say that at any time, but especially in a store! Does she think everyone is going to think, "Now there's a mom who knows how to discipline her kid!" All I could think of was, there's a little boy who is going to grow up afraid or so used to threats that he'll think that's normal. Or heaven forbid that she actually follows through at some point.

That's pretty harsh!

I saw an incident when in England. A little boy had pushed his smaller sister down to the muddy ground, and their mother shouted at him: "You IDIOT!" with a feeling.
I don't think I've ever heard a child being told off like that, "Stupid boy" or such like, but idiot with the kind of tone you'd use for grown-ups, if you're really angry?

Btw, thought of a good threat to the kids, my teenies were messing up at the table, so I told them to behave or I'd force them to eat cabbage (or sprouts or broccoli) in it's most disgusting form (onion would do, too). It worked!

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 17 Jan, 2011 11:47 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Is this true now? I was taught to ALWAYS use two spaces after a period.

Space Invaders
Why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period.

Well, zapping double spaces from clients' texts is one of the first things I do when laying out text. I've NEVER used double space after a period.

Oh my word, this drives me BATTY!!!!! I hate two spaces and it's often a thorn in my side when typesetting! Zap those suckers OUT!

Good luck Debbie! And Kristy, I already feel safer knowing that you have those skills.

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 18 Jan, 2011 11:26 AM Quote
Kristy, it was a family meal not a party with all his friends (that's still to come , urgh!)
Mili, I love your vegetable tactic. I might try that one.
Mer, it all went went although I always think that the time spent preparing the food is soooo long compared with the few minutes it takes to gobble the lot, haha.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 18 Jan, 2011 11:54 AM Quote
Didn't get the job, didn't even get to the second interview.

Apparently they interviewed 5 people with only 2 going to the final stage and while all 5 were of the highest standard and all 5 were more than capable of doing the job it had to come down to two, of which I was not one of

Fucking bastard cunting recession, this is about the 4th or 5th position that 2 or 3 years ago I would have walked into. Fucking bankers you bunch of fucking cunts !!!!

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 18 Jan, 2011 1:36 PM Quote
Sorry to hear that, Dubz. That's the new reality, though. Soooo many people out of work, so many people competing for the few jobs that open up, and taking pay cuts to do it. You just have to keep trying. I think interviewers always like to give you the impression that "you're the one" while you're there, but then you're not. Just keep on keepin' on. It's not fun, but eventually you'll get something.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 18 Jan, 2011 4:43 PM Quote
Sorry to hear that Dubz. That really sucks!

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 18 Jan, 2011 4:47 PM Quote
The job situation seems to be really tough at the moment for all those who are looking. Unfortunately having good skills and a lovely personality don't seem to count as much as they did before-it's more about who you know :(
Sorry to hear it didn't work out but Kayte's right, you just gotta keep on plodding until you get that break.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 18 Jan, 2011 5:12 PM Quote
Sorry to hear that, Dubz. Keep your head up!

mili
mili Posted Tue 18 Jan, 2011 6:19 PM Quote
Soooo sorry to hear that Dubz! Chin up, you'll find something!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 18 Jan, 2011 7:03 PM Quote
Thanks guys,

It's just dis-heartening when you throw 110% at something and it's still not good enough. Tempted to go get hammered but I think I'll just have a couple of shandies and maybe a wee hauf.

Onwards and upwards eh?

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:11 AM Quote
I've been looking for a (real) job for over 8 months now. And since I can't even find another part-time job (to get some money in), my situation is starting to seriously annoy AND frighten me. I'm 28, had to move back in with my mother, and apparently those 6(!) years of studying have been a total waste of time. Also, I'm going to have to hurt the next person who says "But Bavaria is doing SO WELL economically! (so how come you can't find a job?! that's impossible/you're too picky/ ...)".

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 19 Jan, 2011 3:50 PM Quote
I'm gonna take a leaf from the "School of Rock" and I'm gonna stick it to the man, so what if I didn't get the shitty job in Yahoo, I'm fucking damn good at what I do, possibly exceptional at what I do. Someone will realize this soon enough, and pay me lots of money for my Skills.

Skillz to Pay the Bills

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 1:12 AM Quote
For a minute there I thought you were going to break into a chorus of "Don't Stop Belivin'."

My daughter who is 5 years old and in kindergarten told me this on the way home from school today.

Violet: I kissed a boy at school today. But not on the lips.
Me: You did? Who was it??
Violet: I don't remember his name.
Me: Why did you kiss him?
Violet: He was a little bit handsome.
Me: What did he say when you kissed him?
Violet: No NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOO!
Me: Boys are like that.
I also told her that kissing is probably against school rules. She couldn't understand why.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 1:57 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
For a minute there I thought you were going to break into a chorus of "Don't Stop Belivin'."

Nae danger.

Had another kick in the balls tonight, so the world can go fuck itself, not so much "I will survive", more "Fuck You I won't do what you tell me"

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 5:27 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

I was disappointed too Kayte.

I'm sorry to all boardies who are having trouble finding a job. It all seems terribly unfair.

Pages Previous 1...52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:42 AM