Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
mili
mili Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:00 PM Quote
Last year I had a meeting about a potential design job, in English, as one of the people in the room was English. They asked about me and my company, and then: how would you proceed with designing this thing? I did not see it coming at all, hadn't prepared… so I just stammered something about getting on with it. Naturally, I didn't get the commission. Might have been something to do being married to a man who came from the same part of the country as the mentioned English person, though.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Sat 24 Sep, 2011 2:42 AM Quote
Fingers crossed Megg!

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sat 24 Sep, 2011 9:32 AM Quote
Just sth I somehow forgot to say yesterday:
I would FAINT if I had to do a whole interview in English, with English native speakers. Honestly. I'm in awe of anyone who can get through a job interview in a foreign language!!

I had to do some parts of interviews in English and that was ok (mainly because the interviewers were Germans, ha ha) but there's a reason why I don't apply for jobs in the UK (apart from the fact that I don't really want to work abroad right now) and that is that my nerves would shut down my brain before the interviewers could ask me anything *lol*.
I'm still waiting for someone to try and test my Spanish language skills. That'll be interesting...

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 27 Sep, 2011 12:13 PM Quote
3 of my department are out sick, which leaves me to look after the hotel myself.

On the plus side, I've just had chips, scrambled egg & beans for breakfast. It's the simple pleasures.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 27 Sep, 2011 4:46 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
I would FAINT if I had to do a whole interview in English, with English native speakers. Honestly. I'm in awe of anyone who can get through a job interview in a foreign language!!

I had to do some parts of interviews in English and that was ok (mainly because the interviewers were Germans, ha ha) but there's a reason why I don't apply for jobs in the UK (apart from the fact that I don't really want to work abroad right now) and that is that my nerves would shut down my brain before the interviewers could ask me anything *lol*.
I'm still waiting for someone to try and test my Spanish language skills. That'll be interesting...

I don't think you have anything to worry about with native English speakers. Your English is excellent.

mili
mili Posted Tue 27 Sep, 2011 4:57 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
thewishlist wrote:

I don't think you have anything to worry about with native English speakers. Your English is excellent.

My guess is, she's more worried about the live situation than writing, I know I am.
Even though I speak English daily I can get all tongue tied and even revert to a more Finnish accent than my normal everyday British Englishish one if I get nervous. Sometimes that happens with other Finns, too. Weird.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 27 Sep, 2011 6:46 PM Quote
I know I'm making mistakes all the time when I post sth on the board or on fb, but I managed to write papers and my thesis in English, so I think my writing is alright when I do it more...consciously.
I don't like my accent very much (read: "she hates her accent, it's SO BORING!") and I know I always make all kinds of (sometimes very strange!) mistakes in every-day-conversations, partly because I don't really get much practice anymore (college is over, obviously, and my British friends speak German and love to do so, lol), but I'm ok with that, too (most of the time).

But job interviews in my OWN language make me very, very nervous. I'm getting used to them now, slowly, but if I had to do a face-to-face interview in English now (or in Spanish, ha ha) AND with a native speaker, I think the part of my brain where the ability to speak comes from would just shut down. So I really admire everyone who doesn't pass out (or forget everything they wanted to say) during an interview in a foreign language.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 28 Sep, 2011 1:03 PM Quote
My accent is boring, too.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 28 Sep, 2011 3:11 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
My accent is boring, too.

no. it's just boring to you (just like I think my German accent is VERY boring, too) - but my English accent is "what-is-that-foreign-girl-talking-about-I'm-getting-so-sleepy-all-of-a-sudden"-boring. The 'nicest' thing a native speaker has ever said about my accent was "I can't tell where you're from", the meanest thing was "Are you French?" ;)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 28 Sep, 2011 4:21 PM Quote
Moving, and the logistics there of, are complicated.

mili
mili Posted Wed 28 Sep, 2011 5:13 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Moving, and the logistics there of, are complicated.

Good luck! Did you get the delivery times sorted?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 28 Sep, 2011 7:40 PM Quote
We all got called into the office this morning for a meeting, we feared the worst, unfortunately it was even worse, One of our work colleagues had killed himself, I didn't know him as he worked nights but he was employed by the company for 6/7 years, and by all accounts was a really nice bloke.

How bad have things got to be before a human being thinks that the only way out is.... Fuck, it's a shit situation.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 28 Sep, 2011 7:51 PM Quote
There's an "art" instillation on O'Connell Street, It was a huge blackboard on plywood hoardings around a building site, it was covered with "I Am Afraid _______" with chalk provided for people to finish the phrase (As an aside I was going to write "Knot") I passed it on the bus tonight and it's been erased but some one has tagged "Dubz" a couple of times in chalk and It Wasnae Me!!

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 28 Sep, 2011 9:14 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
There's an "art" instillation on O'Connell Street, It was a huge blackboard on plywood hoardings around a building site, it was covered with "I Am Afraid _______" with chalk provided for people to finish the phrase (As an aside I was going to write "Knot") I passed it on the bus tonight and it's been erased but some one has tagged "Dubz" a couple of times in chalk and It Wasnae Me!!

Dubz

Maybe you discovered time travel and you wrote it in the future.

monkey
monkey Posted Wed 28 Sep, 2011 11:55 PM Quote
Doesn't everone think their own accent is boring?

I'm having a bit of a nightmare and that's why i'm not around much these days. I'm starting to think i might be responsible for some of it haha

Pages Previous 1...145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:14 PM