Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 30 Jun, 2011 8:35 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
megg_inc wrote:
Ohh, I realised today, after 5 months here that I can watch tv online live for free. I will never do anything useful again.

oh my...

Is it 'oh my, aren't you slow'? ;) In my defense, in Poland you have to pay for online tv!

Also, Lily, you should check out Always an Intern blog - written by an interning/job searching girl from LDN. I kept yelling 'exactly!' while reading.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 30 Jun, 2011 8:38 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I've just realized that I'm a day ahead of everybody else for the past 3 days, It's NOT Friday :(

Dubz

it is here! Long weekend! Happy Canada Day (tomorrow)! Capital bound for the weekend...

Happy Canada Day, Kristy!

me and my country say thanks! Despite the fact that I lived there for 4 years, this is the first time I am spending Canada Day in Ottawa. It will be crazy busy, even more so because Kate and William will be there (yawn) but happy to see friends and have a nice weekend in my other home

Happy Canada Day kiddo! There are celebrations tomorrow at Trafalgar Square but I'm working :( I might check the concert afterwards (even though I have never heard of any of the performers).

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 30 Jun, 2011 9:45 PM Quote
Happy Canada Day,

It's too late for me to do anything remotely Canadian so I'm guessing tomorrow , I'll get some Moosehead or Labatts and listen to some Leonard Cohen and Barenaked Ladies, while eating some poutine.

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:55 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
thewishlist wrote:
megg_inc wrote:
Ohh, I realised today, after 5 months here that I can watch tv online live for free. I will never do anything useful again.

oh my...

Is it 'oh my, aren't you slow'? ;) In my defense, in Poland you have to pay for online tv!

Also, Lily, you should check out Always an Intern blog - written by an interning/job searching girl from LDN. I kept yelling 'exactly!' while reading.

it was more of an "oh my, you poor thing, you're doomed..."
you have to pay for online tv in Germany, too, but I heard there were some free options in the UK (an English friend who moved to Germany was SHOCKED when she realised she had to pay for watching TV online ;D)... "sidereel" was bad enough for my social life, free online TV would be the end of it *lol*

"A blog bemoaning the perpetual state of being an intern and the impossibility of getting a good job as a graduate."?? this is PERFECT, thanks!!

P.S.: I just read some of the entries and I think we should totally start a blog, too!
A friend of mine recently started to collect stories from graduates, you wouldn't believe what some of them had to go through and what kind of contracts some companies put together (the word "slavery" comes to mind. one contract said the employee had to tell their boss where exactly they went on weekends and during holidays, and always be available on the phone and be ready to come back to the office, any time...).

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 01 Jul, 2011 2:56 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Happy Canada Day,

It's too late for me to do anything remotely Canadian so I'm guessing tomorrow , I'll get some Moosehead or Labatts and listen to some Leonard Cohen and Barenaked Ladies, while eating some poutine.

Dubz

Stick with moosehead. Had some ontario ipa yesterday. 'twas okay.

Who is performing, megg?

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 01 Jul, 2011 8:21 PM Quote
This is terrible, it seems like there's no legal protection of young people entering the job market. The discussion starts in the UK about the possible delegalisation of some of the unpaid internships. After all they were created to help very young people to gain first experiences but it got ridiculous. I mean, it is completely legal to "employ" someone with a degree for even a year or longer (!) full time and pay them absolutely NOTHING - no benefits, no insurance, no money at all! How can this be legal? Why would anyone hire anyone ever again if they can have fully educated skilled employees with some previous experience for free? It makes me so angry. I like my internship, but come on!

On a lighter note, I won tickets to a Glasvegas gig next week. Yaaaay :)

Kristy: The Mahones, Alex Cuba, Justin Hines, Blue Rodeo. No clue!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 01 Jul, 2011 8:28 PM Quote
[quote="megg_inc"]

On a lighter note, I won tickets to a Glasvegas gig next week. Yaaaay :)

Kristy: The Mahones, Alex Cuba, Justin Hines, Blue Rodeo. No clue! [/quote/]

Yay!

All I know about Justin Hines is that he is in a wheelchair. Blue rodeo I'd sorta alt country folksy. Middle aged men like them. Never heard of the others

monkey
monkey Posted Fri 01 Jul, 2011 8:47 PM Quote
Today has been a good day as i have had the day off work and get my housemate back in a matter of hours.

I'm off to Carlisle the morn for the racing and apparently Texas are playing too.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sat 02 Jul, 2011 5:24 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
This is terrible, it seems like there's no legal protection of young people entering the job market. The discussion starts in the UK about the possible delegalisation of some of the unpaid internships. After all they were created to help very young people to gain first experiences but it got ridiculous. I mean, it is completely legal to "employ" someone with a degree for even a year or longer (!) full time and pay them absolutely NOTHING - no benefits, no insurance, no money at all! How can this be legal? Why would anyone hire anyone ever again if they can have fully educated skilled employees with some previous experience for free? It makes me so angry. I like my internship, but come on!

I know!! It's outrageous, it should be illegal!!!
The German government pretends to be all in favour of paid internships - but their own institutions and ministries/departments still don't pay their interns. At least they don't hire grads as interns (no, they hire them as "trainees" and pay them just enough so they can rent a closet - food? who needs food?).

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Mon 04 Jul, 2011 8:43 AM Quote
just got home from a quinceaƱera...or jr.wedding as i like to call them.

mili
mili Posted Mon 04 Jul, 2011 11:22 PM Quote
Just back from Naples, had a few days there with my hubby on our own, as it was our wedding anniversary. We try to get away every year, and pack the kids off to my parents'. It's really late now, and tomorrow is a working day. So, bed calling.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 05 Jul, 2011 12:16 AM Quote
It's gonna be a long evening/night/next morning. Huhhhh.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 05 Jul, 2011 12:55 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

I hear you. There was someone lighting fireworks off at 6 am. Jeez, I know its a holiday and everything but some people still have to go to work.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 05 Jul, 2011 2:23 AM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I hear you. There was someone lighting fireworks off at 6 am. Jeez, I know its a holiday and everything but some people still have to go to work.

Fireworks are nothing...I have 5 kids in the house tonight!

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 05 Jul, 2011 4:38 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
hennypenny wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Fireworks are nothing...I have 5 kids in the house tonight!

Yikes. You win.

Pages Previous 1...122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 132 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:39 AM