Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 29 May, 2011 9:45 AM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Megg and I had the most ridiclous, random and hilarious day in Brighton

did the coach-driver say "if you enjoyed your trip with national express, my name is john. if not, my name is ethel"?
and did you see the seasick doughnut?
and did a seagull totally follow you around?

oh brighton! I guess it's the town of ridiculous, random and hilarious days ;)

we took the train. SuperMegg got 2 round trip tickets for 3.60.
We saw no donut. Well, we saw edible donuts. And the seagulls were unable to follow us around. It was so windy that they were flying backwards. Maybe it's a metaphore.

Oh, and then there was a crazy man on the train home. He would laugh for no reason. We werent sure if it was at our jokes or because he was crazy. Then he interupted our convo about hotel breakfast to ask if we had been to some place in Eastern England. Then asked if I liked the police. He did not mean the band. Asked if I knew a specific address in Toronto and a Canadian named Josh. And then kept talking as we ignored him. I thought I was going to get stabbed.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 29 May, 2011 12:37 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
monkey wrote:
When it gets to the small hours of the morning i find myself buying expensive stuff online. It's stuff i want but don't really need. I don't know why i do it.

seriously, have all the dudes on the board turned to chicks? :)

I've been up since 5:30am with a massive hangover due to epic amounts of Guinness whilst watching the Rugby and Football, the pubs have just opened so now I'm going to go have a "Hair of the Dog".

is that better ?

Dubz

monkey
monkey Posted Sun 29 May, 2011 1:01 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
monkey wrote:
When it gets to the small hours of the morning i find myself buying expensive stuff online. It's stuff i want but don't really need. I don't know why i do it.

You just hurt my feelings. I'm going to go away now and clean the dishes

I'm going to go have a "Hair of the Dog". - What does that mean?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 29 May, 2011 1:23 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
minnmess wrote:
monkey wrote:

You just hurt my feelings. I'm going to go away now and clean the dishes

A pint, or more specifically a cure for a hangover, Take a hair of the dog that bit you last night.

Wiki for further information.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 29 May, 2011 2:01 PM Quote
Had my hair of the dug. and another couple. Feeling much better off to Croker to watch the Dubs play Hurling. Then later it's off to Lansdowne to watch Ireland v Scotland in the football.

Dubz

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 29 May, 2011 2:03 PM Quote
monkey wrote:

hair of the dog !

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 29 May, 2011 4:38 PM Quote
Up Tipp !

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 29 May, 2011 9:28 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
monkey wrote:

hair of the dog !

More cowbell!

Today Rachel and I went to a greenhouse and bought flowers and came home and planted. One flat to go. House looks nicer. The ground is like mud from all the rain. Lots of bugs and yucky things. Accidentally stepped on a pink fungus in bare feet. It was squishy and gross and I squealed like a little girl.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 30 May, 2011 1:22 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Megg and I had the most ridiclous, random and hilarious day in Brighton

did the coach-driver say "if you enjoyed your trip with national express, my name is john. if not, my name is ethel"?
and did you see the seasick doughnut?
and did a seagull totally follow you around?

oh brighton! I guess it's the town of ridiculous, random and hilarious days ;)

we took the train. SuperMegg got 2 round trip tickets for 3.60.
We saw no donut. Well, we saw edible donuts. And the seagulls were unable to follow us around. It was so windy that they were flying backwards. Maybe it's a metaphore.

Oh, and then there was a crazy man on the train home. He would laugh for no reason. We werent sure if it was at our jokes or because he was crazy. Then he interupted our convo about hotel breakfast to ask if we had been to some place in Eastern England. Then asked if I liked the police. He did not mean the band. Asked if I knew a specific address in Toronto and a Canadian named Josh. And then kept talking as we ignored him. I thought I was going to get stabbed.

Glad to hear Brighton is kind of crazy for everyone! ;)
Lily, do you happen to know what's the deal with all the hippos in this town? They seemed to be everywhere!

monkey
monkey Posted Mon 30 May, 2011 1:14 PM Quote
Today my girlfriend said she was leaving because of my obsession with The Monkees, I thought she was joking.

And then I saw her face.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 30 May, 2011 1:38 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
Today my girlfriend said she was leaving because of my obsession with The Monkees, I thought she was joking.

And then I saw her face.

:)

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 30 May, 2011 2:28 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

Glad to hear Brighton is kind of crazy for everyone! ;)
Lily, do you happen to know what's the deal with all the hippos in this town? They seemed to be everywhere!

What? Hippos? Really? Whoah... I never saw any hippos in Brighton! I did see funny postcards, weirdly-dressed old people and English kids bathing in the sea in mid-October with their clothes on - but no, not a single hippo :(

(I was just on the phone with a friend, then remembered she spent her semester abroad in Brighton and asked her about the hippos. She said she'd never noticed any, either... However, my last visit to Brighton was 4 years ago and she was there in 2005, so maybe the hippos are a "new thing"?)

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 30 May, 2011 5:11 PM Quote
Awww you guys have all been to Brighton! I lived and worked there for 10 years before moving to France. We go back a few times a year to see family and friends but I have to be honest, in all that time, I've never come across any hippos but lots of other weird and definately wonderful things. My boys love the Pier and we sat on a bench there last month eating fish and chips watching a thunder storm across the sea - it was quite cool.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 30 May, 2011 6:04 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
Awww you guys have all been to Brighton! I lived and worked there for 10 years before moving to France. We go back a few times a year to see family and friends but I have to be honest, in all that time, I've never come across any hippos but lots of other weird and definately wonderful things. My boys love the Pier and we sat on a bench there last month eating fish and chips watching a thunder storm across the sea - it was quite cool.

the pier is awesome! and what could be better than eating fish and chips by the sea? :D

the first time I went to Brighton, the West Pier was still standing (abandoned and cut-off, but the pavilion was still kinda "there") and my friend and I would sit at the beach, eating chips and making up stories about an old man living in the pavilion with all kinds of birds... then I came back a few years later and the pier had almost vanished, and I thought "What about the poor old man and his birds!?!?" and then remembered we'd made the story up... oh, happy days! :)

Anyway:
If you lived there for 10 years, could you please, please please explain the doughnut/bagel situation? ;)
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/by_this_river/2Kopievonimm026_10A.jpg

and this, can you explain this? is it normal for Brighton's youth to go swimming in mid-October? with all their clothes on? with no extra-clothes to be seen anywhere near? ;)
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/by_this_river/Kopievonimm025_11A.jpg

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 30 May, 2011 6:15 PM Quote
haha yes it's "normal" for English kids to go in the water at any time of year apparently although mine were really miffed that I wouldn't let them paddle this year! louis tried one year and came out of the water "blue" after only a couple of minutes - never again!

The donut remains a mystery. It simply appeared one summer (art, I think people call it!)

The West Pier had rather a sad end. It would have been beautiful restored and there was talk of doing something with it but then it was destroyed in a fire and the charred remains were left to fall into the sea. It kept disappearing every time we went back :(

Pages Previous 1...114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 124 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:08 AM