Travis

Re: Personality of Travis.
neo1011
neo1011 Posted Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:45 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
tend to ignore even adore that kind of shitty behaviour - just because it's oh-so-cool Liam.

There's a little bit of Noel & Liam in all of us, but most don't reach their status plus glamour to ever act on those urges. I mean:

Who doesn't wanna say stuff/f**k you to the rich rags of society: aka Travis's Sing seafood royalty dinner parody music video clip.

Differences between Oasis & Travis are blurred (sorry for the multi-prong word play folks!): the former acted out fantasies for real.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:33 AM Quote
Yaaaay, I've always wanted to be like the Gallaghers :)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:29 PM Quote
neo1011 wrote:

There's a little bit of Noel & Liam in all of us, but most don't reach their status plus glamour to ever act on those urges. I mean:

Who doesn't wanna say stuff/f**k you to the rich rags of society: aka Travis's Sing seafood royalty dinner parody music video clip.

Differences between Oasis & Travis are blurred (sorry for the multi-prong word play folks!): the former acted out fantasies for real.

Nicely said (even the dodgy pun!)

neo1011
neo1011 Posted Wed 28 Apr, 2010 1:18 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
Nicely said (even the dodgy pun!)

Thanks Tonie! That praise was really satisfying as I've never got a retweet mention on my Twitter account & I've said deeper things: at least I guess, hope & aspire!

My law teacher today in class mentions Liam Gallagher headbutting someone in Australia. LG got nearly charged, but was cleared by paying the 'so-called' victim off.

I only became an Oasis fan the last two years, so I do not know every detail about the band. What won me over was the print interviews, expletives & 'rowdy' yet clear wit.

Something Coldplay haven't yet done is become the rock cliché of being a star, then wreck guitars & hotels. Are rock stars becoming the 'rich fat cats' they despise?

Or are rock god musicians we need/put on a pedestal
lashing/attacking the ROYAL halls of hotel ivory that only the marquee celebrities/politicians will live in?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 28 Apr, 2010 1:42 PM Quote
I see Coldplay as popstars, they don't have to smash guitars.

roxytobias
roxytobias Posted Wed 28 Apr, 2010 3:09 PM Quote
i don't think it would make them bigger than they are now if they played up such truistic rockstar attitude. coldplay is one of the biggest bands now and they were never all too brassy. Given this, i really cannot fathom exactly why this band's just not as big anymore. I don't know. it's frustrating. A big number of genuine music lovers are missing out on real good music because it can't reach them.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 28 Apr, 2010 6:19 PM Quote
neo1011 wrote:
Nell wrote:
tend to ignore even adore that kind of shitty behaviour - just because it's oh-so-cool Liam.

Well, the Gallaghers' attitude is hardly just about standing up to snob rich people. In fact, that's not even the main purpose of it. Maybe it started off that way, but now it's a mere pose.
Plus, there are so many better and clever ways of pestering oligarchy than acting rude "just because I'm a rockstar"... it's actually very childish and completely functional to the system. So if that's what they're aiming at, "criticising the system", in my humble opinion they're doing one hell of a crappy job.

Anyway, I don't think it's a matter of attitude. The Gallaghers are just a stereotype that's been repeated ad infinitum. I think success just has to do with marketing strategies, which certainly has nothing to do with the quality of a band's music.

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 28 Apr, 2010 11:24 PM Quote

There's a bit of Liam/Noel in all of us?
Hahahahah :)

ya, you're right. I just came from smashing the aicraft of the British Airways I just flew with, than I crushed the rental car, spat in my neighbours eye and destroyed my mum's living room while shouting drunk at my boyfriend...why? because I can :) Oh yes. There's a bit of Liam in all of us..

hahaha :)

Green day would be a "good" ;) Rock Band for an example.
What about them? As far as I heard they're similar to Travis...?Greenday looking out for a kid

Well I agree with the last poster, lots of people are missing out on great music.

Generally I think the PR hasn't been that good compared to a Lady Gaga or Amy MacDonald who's on every billboard in town recently....I agree on the Oasis-fact too, press - any good or bad is eventually good for the business cos it raises the attention of people and the band stays in their minds.
Though I'm quite happy that "our boys" are who they are and not pulling off some sick show in order to make more money.
I would always wonder if their songs were still as true as they are now...

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 28 Apr, 2010 11:26 PM Quote

With them having their own record lable now they're also responsible for their own PR now, right?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 29 Apr, 2010 12:19 AM Quote
Oasis are great. Coldplay are great. Travis are great. They're all different personalities and they've all achieved great success while writing great music. It doesn't matter to me. I like all those bands and i like them because of the music. :)

neo1011
neo1011 Posted Thu 29 Apr, 2010 1:17 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

So if that's what they're aiming at, "criticising the system", in my humble opinion they're doing one hell of a crappy job.

I think success just has to do with marketing strategies, which certainly has nothing to do with the quality of a band's music.

What Liam & Noel Gallagher provides is the possibility of giving armchair critics like you & me the swagger/bravery/precedent to say what we feel, speak our minds & swear whenever, plus however we want to ... not just in concerts like Travis do, but in actual career defining mass media interviews abroad.

'It takes one to know one' I feel regarding marketing strategies & sundry. One can't be an anti-Establishment rebel like John Winston Lennon if you didn't really dig it; as phony fakes would be eaten up alive! Oasis can be who they wanna be (a lyric they wrote?!?!) without fear of repercussions. Fans like me don't have that luxury. :(

neo1011
neo1011 Posted Thu 29 Apr, 2010 1:46 AM Quote
Nell wrote:

There's a bit of Liam/Noel in all of us?
Hahahahah :)

At 29, I'm a late bloomer & experienced 'growing pains' that stopped me from trying out the potentials of dating, sports, starting a band & amateurishly attempting the arts of writing/poems/song.

I can tell you I've wanted to get aggro & shout down many celebrities that piss me off. I guess that Coldplay lyric 'I don't wanna recycle revenge' & worshipping the throne of John Lennon's peace induced messages (amongst others) shuts me from 'Pulling Mussels From The Shell' when in public.

Maybe at 29, or however old Liam Gallagher is, it's a bit postmature (as opposed to premature) to try to recapture your lost youth & at times act with frenetic energy, creativity & zest for life.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 29 Apr, 2010 3:32 AM Quote
neo1011 wrote:

What Liam & Noel Gallagher provides is the possibility of giving armchair critics like you & me the swagger/bravery/precedent to say what we feel, speak our minds & swear whenever, plus however we want to ... not just in concerts like Travis do, but in actual career defining mass media interviews abroad.

'It takes one to know one' I feel regarding marketing strategies & sundry. One can't be an anti-Establishment rebel like John Winston Lennon if you didn't really dig it; as phony fakes would be eaten up alive! Oasis can be who they wanna be (a lyric they wrote?!?!) without fear of repercussions. Fans like me don't have that luxury. :(

You don't really need Liam and Noel to be able to speak your mind and say what you feel... Maybe you do, and if they help you express yourself, that's cool.
I show my disagreement with the way the world works by commiting and getting involved in things I think are important. I don't need to go insulting people or trashing hotel rooms to prove my point. In fact I don't think that attitude serves to prove any point at all, nor is in any way conflicting with the status quo, so it doesn't inspire me at all. It's just a cry for attention. Which is fine by me, if that's what they want to do. And like I said, if they inspire you, that's really great.

I think you can be as phony as hell and yet be the most successful person ever. :oP
And why do you feel you can't be who you want to be without repercussions? I mean, actions have consequences, whether you're Liam Gallagher or Cosme Fulanito. It shouldn't be any different for either one. If there's some sort of impunity going on just because one is a "big rockstar", it's just pure bs. :oP

neo1011
neo1011 Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 10:18 AM Quote
Can anyone confirm for me if The Man Who album's opening & closing tracks use of the lyric WONDERWALL is an ode or insult to Oasis?!?!

neo1011
neo1011 Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 10:19 AM Quote
Can anyone confirm for me if The Man Who album's opening & closing tracks use of the lyric WONDERWALL is an ode or insult to Oasis?!?!

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:10 AM