Travis

FAO: Dee, or any other fans of The Little Prince
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 19 Apr, 2010 5:55 PM Quote
I noticed that you had become a fan of "The Little Prince" on Facebook.

I never had to read this book in school, but I found it on the shelf at home when I was 17 or so, and I tried to read it. I found it...boring. So, I put it down for a long time and picked it up again as an adult. Again, I didn't make it all the way through. I figured there must be some big symbolism that I was missing. There has to be a bigger idea behind the book that what is presented through the story. I gave the book to my most intellectual friend who did not finish it either who agreed it must be about something, but she wasn't sure what.

So, can you explain what the story is really about?

Re: FAO: Dee, or any other fans of The Little Prince
dee
dee Posted Mon 19 Apr, 2010 9:18 PM Quote
there are notions within it that i fell in love with as a child.
the concept of once you tame something it becomes your responsibility was really important to me when growing up in the country where regularly stray animals would end up with us.

then when i was in secondary school i had a great French teacher who used it as a text. she had us discuss the various characters he encounters and what their tragedy is.
i think the alcoholic who drinks to forget that he is embarassed about drinking is so heartbreaking.

as i got older i thought of it as being about flawed love, but love all the same.

in a way however, i don't think everything should be analysed to shreds.some things just resonate with people.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:13 PM Quote
There was an alcoholic in the book? I must not have made it that far, either time.

I guess what bothers me is that I'm a person who enjoys a good book. This is supposed to be a good book and I just couldn't enjoy it. I thought maybe if I knew there was some MAJOR THEME behind it, I could at least appreciate it.

Oh, well. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. The pictures are cute. Maybe I'll try it again when I'm 50.

dee
dee Posted Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:35 PM Quote
i am such a stubborn person that i simply cannot enjoy a book if it's hyped and reccomended to me. i need to find things myself so i can completely understand how you feel when you are told "this is a good book!" and then just can't get into it.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:03 PM