Travis

Volcano trouble
mili
mili Posted Thu 15 Apr, 2010 2:59 PM Quote
There's this volcano erupting in Iceland and it's messing up all the air traffic in the Northern Europe, perhaps parts of Canada, too?
Some experts say that this can potentially go on for up to one year, oh goody!
Anyone affected by it? I know a lot of people who've been forced to cancel their journeys or change from plane to train (in worst case scenario with domestic travel it's up to 10 hours on a train instead of 1 hour by plane).

Re: Volcano trouble
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 15 Apr, 2010 3:28 PM Quote
I heard about it this morning on the radio. Interesting that it's not the lack of visibility that causes the problems, it's the particles that clog up the engines.

According to Wendy, it will produce beautiful sunsets.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 15 Apr, 2010 3:44 PM Quote
Apparently the Copenhagen airport was closed and will remain like this for the whole Friday. Also some flights to the UK and Norway were cancelled in Warsaw. I guess my friends won't come home from London and Poland for the weekend...

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 16 Apr, 2010 1:01 PM Quote
Indeedy. I didn't realise just how many people it affected. On my FB homepage about 10 people where stuck in airports. Really felt for my friend as she was due to fly out from Dublin to Frankfurt then onwards to Australia for a super Gap Year type thing. All delayed and other friends stranded in Liverpool/Manchester/London and Paris airports.

But on the good side - prettyful sunsets :)

mili
mili Posted Fri 16 Apr, 2010 3:01 PM Quote
It's raining here, so no sunsets.

There's a Finnish "hate group" (pure humour) on Facebook with 22 900+ members demanding that the foreign ash cloud should leave our country immediately. Hilarious!

Still no flights, earliest on Sunday.

Edel
Edel Posted Fri 16 Apr, 2010 3:10 PM Quote
17,000 flights cancelled today

daytimeoyster
daytimeoyster Posted Sat 17 Apr, 2010 2:39 AM Quote
Year without a Summer

some scientists are worrying about this

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 17 Apr, 2010 7:59 AM Quote
I know two people who's wives are stuck in Tenerife they were due back Thursday and one guy who is stuck in Malaga due back yesterday. Also know a couple who were due to go on holiday yesterday. Looking like the people will get back is Tuesday at the earliest.

Dubz

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 20 Apr, 2010 10:54 AM Quote
I've been affected by this. I went on a 2 day shopping trip with a friend to London flying back home Thursday evening. By lunchtime it became very clear we were going nowhere and they booked us on an early morning flight on Saturday. At midnight on Friday that one was cancelled too and I've just got home after a trip back on the train 5 days later than originally planned. My credit card is on fire and I can't see me getting any of this money back. That's the risk you take when you travel with no insurance! My friend is now waiting for a train to get back to Gibraltar.

Kristy
Kristy Posted Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:01 AM Quote

People might be stranded in places wanting to get home, back to work, back to school etc, but there's those with hospital appointments, those needing medication (how many people would take extra medication, like a week's worth, in case of something like this? I probably wouldn't), those trying to see dying family and friends - and then there's my family friends whose little girl was killed on Sunday in the Canaries, they want to be with family and fly her home but it's a logistical nightmare.
There's always someone worse off than yerself ....

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 20 Apr, 2010 12:30 PM Quote
I think we should say 'goodbye' to cheap plane tickets after it's over. Airlines will surely want to get some of their money back. I'm also worried about my trip to Spain and the wedding I'm supposed to attend in Poland as apparently much bigger volcanos may become active now. :/

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 20 Apr, 2010 2:28 PM Quote
Someone called my work yesterday from Heathrow airport to exchange their theatre tickets because they've been stranded since Saturday and are told the earliest they are moving is Thursday. This woman put all of our other patrons to shame. I'm talking to you, people who forget to come and call a week after their performance looking for new tickets. SHE CALLED FROM LONDON!

mili
mili Posted Tue 20 Apr, 2010 2:55 PM Quote
Some Finns have bought second hand cars (as the rented ones have run out) and are driving through Europe home. One such group purchased a car for 700 euros in Spain, and are hoping it'll last till home.

I might have to consider a second hand car or a rowing boat if we're going to travel this Summer. We have tickets for Berlin (just for fun) and Manchester (family), hope we'll be able to use them. At Christmas it was snow that caused chaos, now ash.

Oh, and Kristy, I'm very sorry to hear about your family friends' little girl.

Kristy
Kristy Posted Thu 22 Apr, 2010 6:36 PM Quote
mili wrote:

Oh, and Kristy, I'm very sorry to hear about your family friends' little girl.

Thank you :) They're still stuck out there not knowing when they will get home :s

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 9:41 AM