Travis

How times change ... (and the file-sharing debate)
Kristy
Kristy Posted Tue 16 Mar, 2010 11:30 AM Quote
Fran Posted Thu 20 Mar, 2008 5:45 PM Quote
I don't think that there will ever be a Fran Healy solo project. Why would I want to when I play in the greatest living rock and roll band of all time :)

Anyway, I wasn't searching for that but just stumbled across it ...

Did anyone else watch the Panorama programme last night on BBC1 about unlawful filesharing?

File-sharing laws could see downloaders disconnected

What's your view?

Re: How times change ... (and the file-sharing debate)
Kristy
Kristy Posted Wed 24 Mar, 2010 9:35 PM Quote
One hundred and thirty views and not one person has an opinion - strange ...

I rarely post these nowadays but thought about the times we were all file sharing like mad back in t'day.
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Fran once say he didn't mind people downloading tracks without paying (I hesitate in using the word 'illegal')

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:16 PM Quote
I didn't see the program, but I do feel that music still ultimately needs to be paid for, and the principle of legislation to enforce that is fine by me. Obviously we'd all love to get music for free, just like we'd love to get our furniture, TV's and cars for free. But music is a product and an industry that, like any other, needs to be funded. It'll be interesting to see if models like Spotify are workable in the long term. Maybe we'll just stream everything eventually, and actually not own any tracks.

I don't quite understand the details of how this file-sharing thing is defined though. If I send a track or an album to a friend via email, is that (going to be) illegal? Or is it just downloading from public servers etc?

mili
mili Posted Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:09 PM Quote
It's confusing and complicated. When I was young we used to copy friends' vinyls on tapes, and later the cds came in the picture. Our local library has a wonderful cd collection, and I sometimes make a copy for myself, and I don't think I'm a criminal doing it.

Here we have a copying tax (or something like that) added to the price of empty cds, dvds and tapes, which goes to the artists. Slightly annoying, as majority of the cds and dvds I use go for non-music/film purposes.

I don't like this large scale file sharing à la Pirate Bay and torrents, where full albums and movies are shared with the whole world, it doesn't seem right. On the other hand smaller scale sharing of music that's impossible or difficult to buy leagally (old b-sides, radio recordings etc) seems quite ok to me.

Yeah, I know, I have double standards!

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 25 Mar, 2010 3:24 PM Quote

About file sharing. I'm all for it. I do think that music should be payed for. After all it's a piece of work!

But I'm definitely not ready to pay the price the companies want us to pay. Over here it's about £20-22 for one single cd!! for 11 songs! A ticket for a concert is about £70 at minimum!
And no, you don't earn so much money here that you can say those prices are fair.(Unless you work for a bank and get your bonus every now and then..) Of course I could take a trip up to Germany, 100km north, and buy it from there for £10..but then I'd have to pay for the fuel..

So I buy only albums, no singles and only from those I really want to support. Like Travis.

About singles. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? 2 Singles of the very very very same song with different b-sides? So you'd have to pay twice around £9 so you can listen to the other b-side??!!!
For example: Travis-My Eyes! Sorry but that's a just a very bad joke of the music companies!!

Besides: Downloading is much easier than ordering, then waiting for it, driving to the city, and then buying.
Of course you can say: There's iTunes - download it from there.
But iTunes will tell you nice things like: This song is currently not available in your country. Souns very much like youtube.

Funny, huh?

So Yes. I am filesharing, cos I'm totally mad at those money-making-companies.

Fran once said: burning a cd cost them 11p...? so you pay 11p for the cd and £21 for the songs...

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 25 Mar, 2010 3:55 PM Quote
This is very complicated. Personally I want to pay for music. I pay for Spotify Premium every month and I buy the records that I really like. I think there has to be some kind of solution for the problem rather than haunting the people that are downloading. Maybe there could be a fee added to the internet bill, or something like that?

What's really weird is that it's only the people that are downloading music/films/whatever that get caught? For instance they sell devices that lets you copy and seperate tracks from the radio and that is just as illegal as downloading, at least over here.

Keep developing the streaming-idea, get more record companies involved and broaden the possibilities to buy music online, on I-tunes etc. The industry has to start thinking more modern and understand that most people would actually pay for music in the end.

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:33 PM Quote

Over here it's different. Breaking the copyright will be punished but the downloading is yet legal - if you claim not to know that the uploading process has been illegal.

Cos you are allowed to make a copy for your family for instance.

I also think those seperating-programs should be legal. Cos I use them -not to copy and upload, but to make safety-copies on my hard disc for CDs won't won't hold forever and can get a scratch on etc. Especially when I paid so much for a CD.

See :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:44 PM Quote
Yeah but I was talking about copying and seperating tracks from the radio, if you know what I mean? There are tools that allows you to record from the radio and automatically removes commercials and seperates the songs into different tracks.

I do think that the people who are uploading should be punished first though, until there are solutions that works.

Making copies for yourself is a different story. It's not illegal to copy your cd's to your harddrive, or am I wrong?

mili
mili Posted Fri 26 Mar, 2010 6:57 AM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

Making copies for yourself is a different story. It's not illegal to copy your cd's to your harddrive, or am I wrong?

There are some cds that are copy protected, and breaking that protection is illegal.

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 26 Mar, 2010 4:02 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
$

Depends. In Germany it is. Sure of that. But they can't reaaaaaaally do something about it. I mean there are just too many people copying a CD on to their computer - but in theory - it is illegal. Italy too, at least I heard so. Switzerland not. Here you can make copies from Radio as well - but the purpose; for what/whom you do it matters.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:04 PM