Travis

Re: Kristy - I saw these and thought of you...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 05 Feb, 2010 9:08 PM Quote
Ok, let's get more in-depth here. I thought you called them knickers over there? So if pants are underpants, then you never say underpants? To me, trousers sound like what my grandpa would wear.

Knickers is also kind of funny, because that's what we would call those old fashioned things that looked kind of like bloomers, they fasten with a button just below the knee. They were popular again when I was in 5th grade. You had to find super long knee socks with them because for some reason tights just weren't cool at the time.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 06 Feb, 2010 11:58 PM Quote
Quite literally and loudly LOL!!!

Yes underwear is called PANTS, knickers or I have know some guys to call them "skids" - possibly due to skid marks! lol

Also check these out :)

List of British words not widely used in the United States

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 12:15 AM Quote
Peewee wrote:

there are a lot on there that I dont use, but have atleast heard and know what they mean, but...face flannel? estate car? ladybird? sleeping partner does not sound like its meaning.

I learned about a lollipop man in the summer and thought it was endlessly hilarious.
and now I want a pasty. From Victoria Station in London.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 1:57 AM Quote
Kristy, you've heard of face flannel, like in the song, "...a toothbrush, some toothpaste, a flannel for my face..."

I also know that often flannels do not come standard with your hotel towels and you have to ask for them.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 2:25 AM Quote
I had to google that, Kayte.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 2:20 PM Quote
I don't use the word flannel - I use facecloth ;)

Glad you enjoyed those words.

Ahhhhhh lollypop lady/man! I loved the lollypop man at my primary school. hehe

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 2:45 PM Quote

When i was in hospital recovering from my motorcycle "incident" my mates got me a facecloth as the chemist they were in only had one I ended up getting washed every morning with a Pink Barbie Facecloth !!

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 3:08 PM Quote
But do you say ladybird? You know they are bugs, right?

Not teeny birds in disquise.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 3:21 PM Quote
my truck is nic named ladybird

Meridith
Meridith Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 7:20 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Ok, let's get more in-depth here. I thought you called them knickers over there? So if pants are underpants, then you never say underpants? To me, trousers sound like what my grandpa would wear.

Knickers is also kind of funny, because that's what we would call those old fashioned things that looked kind of like bloomers, they fasten with a button just below the knee. They were popular again when I was in 5th grade. You had to find super long knee socks with them because for some reason tights just weren't cool at the time.

I'm with Kayte on this. Trousers are old man pants. How she explains knickers is exactly how I remember them. I had a pair myself that I would wear with knee high socks and Buster Brown shoes. Pants are not underwear, but like jeans or khakis or whatever you wear on the outside of your underwear. They've been called slacks here but that's like old lady pants or the equivalent to trousers. Underwear is underwear, lingerie, or panties.

And let's talk about thongs...those were flip flops back when I was a kid. We called them thongs. And we weren't referring to panties.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 7:21 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:

I'm wondering if this is equivalent to a washcloth or washrag?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 8:41 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Peewee wrote:

I'm wondering if this is equivalent to a washcloth or washrag?

Yes, all the same thing. My mom would never let me say "washrag,"I had to say "washcloth." ;o) And I agree with you on slacks. Slacks are made of polyester and are worn by grannies.

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Sun 07 Feb, 2010 10:39 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Peewee wrote:

there are a lot on there that I dont use, but have atleast heard and know what they mean, but...face flannel? estate car? ladybird? sleeping partner does not sound like its meaning.

HAha! "sleeping partner"...that's exactly what i thought too.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 08 Feb, 2010 1:51 AM Quote
Meridith wrote:

And let's talk about thongs...those were flip flops back when I was a kid. We called them thongs. And we weren't referring to panties.

We called em flip flops too but when I was in the mid west they were calling em " shower shoes " , like saying pop .....so wrong

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 08 Feb, 2010 2:57 AM Quote
yup, I know them as flip flops. I thought thongs was an Australia thing

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:39 PM