Travis

UK Organ Donation
Kristy
Kristy Posted Sun 31 Jan, 2010 8:51 PM Quote
I'm interested to know how many people carry a donor card / have registered to be a donor?

If anyone has strong views against donation then I'd be interested to hear those too.

Registering is easy Do it online here.

Thank you
x

Re: UK Organ Donation
mili
mili Posted Sun 31 Jan, 2010 10:11 PM Quote
I've had a donor card in my wallet for 20+ years. There's some talk about building a register of donors here, that is, your willingness to be a donor would be in the medical records. At the moment it's just a piece of cardboard in your purse.

monkey
monkey Posted Mon 01 Feb, 2010 1:22 AM Quote
I've been a registered donor for about 3 years now. Organs and tissues from a single donor can be used to benefit more than 50 people on the waiting list.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Mon 01 Feb, 2010 1:51 AM Quote
I've been a registered organ donor for 15 years now. Ever since I got my first driver's licsense. I can't believe its been that long already!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 01 Feb, 2010 2:06 AM Quote
Im a donor. Everything except eyes and skin. Because that weirds me out.

jambut
jambut Posted Tue 02 Feb, 2010 2:08 PM Quote
registered when I was 16 but i've lost my card, its a bit grrr that ist not on your med records.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 02 Feb, 2010 2:11 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Everyone knows my wishes when I snuff it, whatever can be used is to be used except my eyes, as above something creeps me out about someone else using my eyes.

Dubz

Kristy
Kristy Posted Wed 03 Feb, 2010 4:53 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

I'm with you and Dubz on that one - the thought of donating my eyes gives me the heebie jeebies, I know I won't feel anything once I've snuffed it but it still gives me a strange feeling.

I'm pleasantly surprised that people replied positively to this :-)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 03 Feb, 2010 5:19 PM Quote
It's on my license and everyone in my family knows my wishes as well. I don't care what they take but if my family members are creeped out, I don't mind if they say no.

I also donate blood regularly and I think this is something more people should do on a regular basis.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2010 10:28 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

I also donate blood regularly and I think this is something more people should do on a regular basis.

I can't. I'm not allowed to give blood in Ireland because I'm from the UK. If you've lived in the UK between 1980 and 1995 you cannot give blood in Ireland. I think it has to do with CJD (Mad Cow Disease)

Dubz

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2010 11:52 AM Quote
I do have a donor card and when i die they can use anything they want as far as i am concerned.
Would be rather hypocritical of me not to do this , as one day its very possible i'll need someones kidney.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2010 1:27 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

I can't. I'm not allowed to give blood in Ireland because I'm from the UK. If you've lived in the UK between 1980 and 1995 you cannot give blood in Ireland. I think it has to do with CJD (Mad Cow Disease)

Dubz

yup. One of my friends lived in London for a year as a kid and now cant give blood. She is affectionatly known as the mad cow. I always giggle when I get to that question on the donor form and think of her.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2010 4:00 PM Quote
@Kristy

Sorry kid, it's all going in the box. Fcuk 'em.

Kristy
Kristy Posted Sat 06 Feb, 2010 3:58 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:
@Kristy

Sorry kid, it's all going in the box. Fcuk 'em.

D'ya think they'll come in handy on 'the other side'? :-)

Kristy
Kristy Posted Sat 06 Feb, 2010 5:03 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
I do have a donor card and when i die they can use anything they want as far as i am concerned.

Erm ... apart from your dodgy kidney, maybe? ;-)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:25 PM