Travis

TIB Cover copycat!!
Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:10 AM Quote
I'm at work right now designing The Arts section of our newspaper and Corinne Bailey Rae has a new album out. Check out the cover I just found on the AP's Web site....

http://i48.tinypic.com/2rh8tix.jpg

Not only does it have a tree that's very similar to the one on The Invisible Band cover, but she used the famous Travis font!!

(sorry if the pic is huge)...I've never posted a picture from my work computer.

Re: TIB Cover copycat!!
o_unico
o_unico Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:18 AM Quote
Fran already spoke about that font issue, this font is not called Travis font. She wasn't the first one to use it too.
And about the tree is very look-a-like. But it should be some kind of common tree of Great Britain.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:18 AM Quote
I think it's different enough that it wasnt an intentional copy, but me no likey.

I think it is my favourite album cover ever. TIB that is.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:24 AM Quote
Yes. I know it's not THEIR font, but that coupled with the tree make it look very similar.

We only gave her new album 2.5 stars, though. ;) That's what ya get!! lol.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:31 AM Quote
If her album's called 'The Sea', what the hell's she playing at having the cover taken in a forest.....

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:48 AM Quote
Font used many times before and after Travis, plus set in a forest... Not the most unique quality of Travis' album covers. I highly doubt she copied, or was even inspired, by a 9 year old Travis album. ;)

o_unico
o_unico Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 1:15 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Yes. I know it's not THEIR font, but that coupled with the tree make it look very similar.

You wrote a review about it? I'd like to read it. Share with us, please!

o_unico
o_unico Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 1:29 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:
If her album's called 'The Sea', what the hell's she playing at having the cover taken in a forest.....

She was just philosophizing about this phrase given by Antonio Conselheiro (Anthony the Counselor) a religious Brazilian man: "At the end of the world, the land will change into sea, and the sea will change into land"
So she just thought we're living the end of the world. Then she drew a parallel with the book "The Emperor's New Clothes" by Hans Christian Andersen, where "the sea" is invisible to those unfit for their positions or incompetent.
But I'm not seeing the sea. Am I a incompetent? That's just my theory :D

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 1:40 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I think it's different enough that it wasnt an intentional copy, but me no likey.

I agree. I don't think it was intentional, but it is very similar.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 2:29 AM Quote
o_unico wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I didn't write it. Our entertainment writer did. I do the page design for the section. I'd post it for you, but it won't be printed until Sunday.

jambut
jambut Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 2:34 AM Quote
hey I write album reviews and do interviews with various musicians. You know anyone I could send them off to.

o_unico
o_unico Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 2:47 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
o_unico wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I didn't write it. Our entertainment writer did. I do the page design for the section. I'd post it for you, but it won't be printed until Sunday.

Ok, I misunderstood it, sorry. English is not my 1º language.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 3:11 AM Quote
I doubt it was intentional but a font highly associated with Travis + a very similar looking tree = instant thought of TIB

I don't how the age of the album matters. It's a well-known album.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 4:27 AM Quote
o_unico wrote:
Nikki wrote:
o_unico wrote:
Nikki wrote:

Ok, I misunderstood it, sorry. English is not my 1º language.

No problem. :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 22 Jan, 2010 3:45 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I doubt it was intentional but a font highly associated with Travis + a very similar looking tree = instant thought of TIB

I think this happens with Travis fans, I too see the similarity, but I doubt people who don't own TIB or don't listen to Travis will relate both covers. It has a tree and that font, but the design is really not that similar.

TIB's cover is much better, IMO. It's one of my favourite covers ever. Maybe my favourite.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:19 AM